Getting back in shape........ relatively!!

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
Paulver

Getting back in shape........ relatively!!

Post by Paulver »

Okay. Be totally honest here.
After a protracted hiatus from playing, for whatever reason, how long does it normally take you to get back into shape so you can play up to "your personal acceptable" level of performance? I know this is a loaded and broad question, and not everyone is going to play at the same level. Additionally, I'm not speaking of solo work per se, but rather playing in some type of ensemble where you aren't the only tuba player...... being a contributing and productive member of the tuba section.

Also: Feel free to expound on what you do to get back to "your personal acceptable" level of performance.

Just curious........

DonO.

Re: Getting back in shape........ relatively!!

Post by DonO. »

Speaking strictly for myself, I took a 25 year hiatus, decided to “come back” as something to do during the pandemic, having found an excellent buy on a horn (I had sold mine a long time ago. Wish I still had it!). It took me 2 months before I got in good enough shape to make an acceptable sound. I didn’t feel confident enough to join a community band until a little over a year after that.
These users thanked the author DonO. for the post:
jtm (Thu Oct 26, 2023 5:06 pm)
King 2341 “new style”
Kanstul 902-3B
Conn Helleberg Standard 120- for the King.
Conn Helleberg 7B- for the Kanstul.
Looking for: minty Amati or Cerveny 681, Kanstul 902-4B
Grumpikins

Post by Grumpikins »

My break was about 13 years with picking up my horn maybe once a year. It really only took a couple weeks of practicing to be able to keep up in an hour and a half rehearsal. Endurance was low and still is, a year and a half later. But I'm still not playing enough. However, I'm 43 not 63. I'm sure that makes a big difference also.

Sent from my SM-S367VL using Tapatalk

Meinl Weston 2145 CC
King Symphonic BBb circa 1936
Hopefully a pre WWII king Eb soon.... :teeth:
Charlie C Chowder
Has thanked: 0

Post by Charlie C Chowder »

Look up your local TubaChistmas. Get the book and the CD and learn the second tuba part. Fun way to get back in and to meet others.

CCC
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

When I came back to tuba summer of 22, after about five years off -- it took a couple months of very relaxed playing duets a couple times a week. When I got to play tuba for that polka band October of 22, that really got the low range and air going. Rejoining the brass band presented some challenging music and I feel like I've improved over even what I used to be able to do, although I still get stuck on not knowing what valves are what notes when sight reading fast music, because most of my playing was on a CC before I got the Star.