Valve job costs?

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
Tim Jackson

Valve job costs?

Post by Tim Jackson »

Have have my eye on a 3 valve tuba from the 20s. No way of knowing what the valves are like until I buy and have it shipped to me.
What would the range be for a valve job. Is this just plating and lap/rehone or more of a process? Just a ballpark would be helpful.

TJ

DonO.

Re: Valve job costs?

Post by DonO. »

The prices I have heard have been significantly in excess of $1000. Part of the problem is not only the cost but finding someone willing to do it. I think Oberloh still does. I’ve heard $1700 there.

Sometimes, even if vintage valves are worn, all you need is a more viscous oil to seal the gap.
King 2341 “new style”
Kanstul 902-3B
Conn Helleberg Standard 120- for the King.
Conn Helleberg 7B- for the Kanstul.
Looking for: minty Amati or Cerveny 681, Kanstul 902-4B
arpthark

Post by arpthark »

I recently got quoted a minimum $1,500 shop rate for a 4v compensating Eb, and that is not including labor. This is in a higher COL area.
Tim Jackson

Post by Tim Jackson »

Well then if you buy an interesting antique horn by the time you pay 1K-2K, $1500-$2000 for a valve job, 2-3K for plating, You're underwater. Or... maybe break even and have a cool horn for a while. But... after all the work and expense you might have a cool-looking horn that plays like crap! :red:
LeMark
Site Admin

Post by LeMark »

Back in 2017 Andersons rebuilt a 4 valve set for $500. Those days are long gone, and has really taken the wind out of the restoration game
Yep, I'm Mark
Pauvog1

Post by Pauvog1 »

Tim Jackson wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 12:04 pm Have have my eye on a 3 valve tuba from the 20s. No way of knowing what the valves are like until I buy and have it shipped to me.
What would the range be for a valve job. Is this just plating and lap/rehone or more of a process? Just a ballpark would be helpful.

TJ
I'm not sure it is worth the cost / time for most. By the time you finish the rebuild, it will likely cost more than the horn and it may or may not work for a lot of stuff. I'd venture a Packer from Joe would be a better bet.
MW 2155
PT-18p (MRP)
JP 274 MKII
For sale
Laskey 30G, American shank https://tubaforum.net/viewtopic.php?t=9 ... 2f1502a4d7
Giddings Baer CC Euro shank https://tubaforum.net/viewtopic.php?p=96137#p96137