Yamaha 861 Info

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
2aTubaKnight

Yamaha 861 Info

Post by 2aTubaKnight »

So since I've decided to hold on to my YCB-861, I've been very curious to find out more information about these horns. There's very limited information about these online, so I wanted to see if there's anyone here who would know a thing or two about these horns. I found it compliments my 2165 pretty well, and as much as I love that tuba, the Yamaha is great for when I need something a little more point-and-shoot or when I need something less "in-your-face".

From what I've heard this is one of a very few sold in the US (I guess there's not much demand here for anything other than a york-a-phone) and through tracking the serial, found it was made in the mid 90's.

What I do know: It seems to be most comparable to an Alex 163, but without the Alex intonation (most complaints I have about the pitch are just me not being able to use my favorite fingerings because of the super-flat-whole-step 5th valve) I've also been told it sounds somewhat similar to Warren Deck's old Conn as well, has a lot of depth for its size.

James Knight
Miami Frost School of Music 2026
BM Instrumental Performance
bloke
Mid South Music

Re: Yamaha 861 Info

Post by bloke »

I don't have much to offer here, other than I did some work on one only one time that wasn't in terribly bad shape to begin with. I believe I had a discussion with the owner about whether to leave the 5th slide alone or to make it the predominant length encountered today. I can't remember what we decided. I do remember playing it, thinking that I could use it on a gig, but that I probably wouldn't choose it to buy, though I would sell one in good conscience. Of all the Yamaha tubas, it's far from the worst. :thumbsup:

As far as the rhetoric we've all heard about both the B-flat and C versions being Alexander-like: no...just no. When comparing makes and models, people are mostly comparing the quality of the resonance, and I just don't see anything in common between that model and Alexander tubas. Further, newer Alexander tubas built-in C are still fairly quirky in my experience, but not nearly as much so as those made 50 - 70 years ago... and the old Alexander C instruments varied so much - due to them not building very many - that a few of them actually played quite well in tune (though I've only played one that was like that myself).

Basically, 661 tubas are factory cut down 641 tubas, yes? I believe this is one instance where the C version might be better than the B flat version.
These users thanked the author bloke for the post:
2aTubaKnight (Mon Nov 13, 2023 4:15 pm)
bort2.0

Post by bort2.0 »

In Japan, you can still order the Yamaha 861. Very few of them ever were available in the US, though. Most recently (2016?), I remember seeing one on Lee Stofer's website... he posted on the old board about it, saying it was an exceptional tuba.

https://jp.yamaha.com/products/musical_ ... index.html

Also listed in the Yamaha US catalog:
https://usa.yamaha.com/files/download/b ... W-257R.pdf
arpthark

Post by arpthark »

bort2.0 wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 2:43 pm In Japan, you can still order the Yamaha 861. Very few of them ever were available in the US, though. Most recently (2016?), I remember seeing one on Lee Stofer's website... he posted on the old board about it, saying it was an exceptional tuba.

https://jp.yamaha.com/products/musical_ ... index.html
Kind of a low MSRP -- ¥1,627,000 = approx. $10k USD.
Dents Be Gone!

Post by Dents Be Gone! »

I agree, guys. This is the way to go.
Last edited by Dents Be Gone! on Wed May 01, 2024 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
joshealejo

Post by joshealejo »

Some of the 661 had to have been sourced from the parts bins at Yamaha, some of it was unique to the 661. I definitely think the 661 was better than the 641 BBb’s I’ve experienced!
Agreed. I have both instruments myself. One of the first versions of the YBB-641 (with S links but, sadly, newer style 2 piece leadpipe) and a YCB-661. They share some parts but not all. The tuning slides are different. The YCB-661´s one is WAY BIGGER than the YBB-641 and are, of course, not interchangable. Also the tapper gets bigger faster in the YCB. The YCB is easier to play but the early YBB has the better sound (with same mouthpiece), in my opinion (My personal old version of the YBB-641 sounds better and is a better player than the newer YBB-641(YBB-641II in Japan) or at least the ones I have played.

YCB-661 tuning slide

YBB-641 tuning slide

Tuning slides comparison (BB slide is the one above, CC slide is the one bellow)

Tuning slides bore comparison (CC slide the bigger one)

Anyway I am selling them soon to favor a new horn.

Kind regards,
Jose
These users thanked the author joshealejo for the post:
Dents Be Gone! (Tue Nov 14, 2023 6:10 am)
Dents Be Gone!

Post by Dents Be Gone! »

Last edited by Dents Be Gone! on Wed May 01, 2024 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
joshealejo

Post by joshealejo »

Dents Be Gone! wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 6:09 am
joshealejo wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 6:02 am
Some of the 661 had to have been sourced from the parts bins at Yamaha, some of it was unique to the 661. I definitely think the 661 was better than the 641 BBb’s I’ve experienced!
Agreed. I have both instruments myself.
Hey Joshealejo!

I’ve always wondered, will the first, third, or fourth slide from a 641 fit in the top of the 5th valve slide on a 661? (Replacing the top slide on the 661 5th.)

Much appreciation if you have a chance to check!

Thanks!
Greetings from Peru!

All of them enters, but you cannot put the slide in place due to the bell being too short to allow the slide in place.

Dents Be Gone!

Post by Dents Be Gone! »