finally...

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
bloke
Mid South Music

finally...

Post by bloke »

I've got a good-condition European-made affordable hard case for my F tuba. :smilie8: :thumbsup: :smilie7:
(no cracks, good latches/hinges, will replace handles, but not handle hardware)

Now, I can (at least) THINK about refinishing this tuba (rather than being concerned about it ending being dented (from carrying it around in a sack).

...and (since none of you are going to be jealous of me regarding this case - as most all of you carry your $XX,XXX instruments around in sacks) I'm going to have to post something else to cause y'all to be envious...

These users thanked the author bloke for the post:
Stryk (Tue Nov 21, 2023 10:06 am)

bort2.0

Re: finally...

Post by bort2.0 »

bloke wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 3:29 pm something else to cause y'all to be envious...
Wow! Still stuck with leaded gasoline up here, that's quite the object of envy for sure!

Oh, and nice case too. Congrats, you've been hunting for a little while. :thumbsup: :tuba:
These users thanked the author bort2.0 for the post:
bloke (Sun Nov 19, 2023 3:49 pm)
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

bort2.0 wrote:stuck with leaded gasoline up here
I suspect you're confusing "unleaded" with "alcohol-free".

People way overcharge - here - for alcohol-free, but we still buy it - for 2-cycle engine use.
(I also add a bit of non-alcohol octane booster to it. The 26hp Kawasaki water-cooled JD mower engine purrs when I boost the octane up near 90.)
UncleBeer

Post by UncleBeer »

Enjoy Bidenomics! :laugh:
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

UncleBeer wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 4:14 pm Enjoy Bidenomics! :laugh:
yeah...I'm not sure why gas prices (probably a good bit lower here and Texas than other places, but still the better part of a dollar higher than in 2020) are dropping a bit, but (often) it's because a sitting president is low in the polls with an election looming.

...but why should I care that the nation is crumbling...AT LEAST I got my G-d CASE !!! :teeth:

UncleBeer

Post by UncleBeer »

Just paid $4.77 in Detroit. $2.83 seems to be the current 'normal' here in Texas.
These users thanked the author UncleBeer for the post:
bloke (Sun Nov 19, 2023 7:57 pm)
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

I think it's funny how are talking heads and their bosses and their bosses' bosses are representing inflation. I don't see anything that doesn't cost double in the grocery stores, and - if you walk up to stuff like store brand flavor gelatin mix - it used to be about 35 cents, and now it's about 90 cents. I'm sure there are all kinds of lower cost foods that are triple in price like that... :hearteyes:

..and when you walk up to the meat aisle, most of the bins are empty, unless they're bins holding meat that costs $20 a pound...

... and some people still won't understand or believe that all of this was planned, and still embrace the belief that all of this stuff just happened and thank goodness for our rulers - who stepped in to save us.

===========

By the way, I was really lucky that the person selling the case decided to head up this way for a little weekend getaway, actually met me only 45 minutes from my home, so I didn't have to pay any shipping. I actually traded them for an early excellent condition Cronkhite-made bag of the same size, and - typically - bags like the one that I traded away probably sell for more than these cases, but these cases are hard to find, I happened to want one, and they happened to have one. Additionally, I showed my gratitude to them (making a loop away from their likely intended weekend getaway route) to bring the case over here by chipping in a decent little amount of money on top towards the person selling the case.
bort2.0

Post by bort2.0 »

bloke wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 3:55 pm
bort2.0 wrote:stuck with leaded gasoline up here
I suspect you're confusing "unleaded" with "alcohol-free".
Nope, just a stupid joke. Definitely no where to go for non-oxy around here. My snow blower likes it.

Side note, in high school, our band camp was one week long in August at a small college in middle of nowhere in West Virginia. It was definitely interesting to drive through some really really small towns in the mountains. This would have been around 1994 or 1995, which was shortly before leaded gas was formally outlawed in the beginning of 1996. I was too young to really be aware or care about such things and much detail, but my understanding is that leaded gas was basically obsolete for a few years before that, and I sure don't ever remember seeing leaded gas as an option.

But somewhere in the middle of nowhere West Virginia, I remember driving past a small two pump gas station where they had a handwritten sign off front that said something like sorry, now unloaded only.

It was funny at the time, for some reason, but in the years since then, I've come to understand and empathize with their experience of being the last place to get anything new. For what it's worth, I think West Virginia is an absolutely beautiful state, with some major infrastructure problems that makes it a very difficult place to live in a lot of ways. Really great people, brutal and unfair stereotypes, and did I mention it's a really beautiful state?

I watches something recently about how a bunch of extremely rich people are buying up land in West Virginia because it's extremely cheap and yes, beautiful. Building vacation houses that cost millions of dollars, and supporting an entire economy of people that clean, and service their lavish vacations and lifestyles. Not to mention, the construction of these houses in the first place. Very difficult dichotomy of a boost to the local economy, and destruction of the sparse population that those people enjoy in the first place. It was really interesting, and I'm not sure what extent this is happening, large or small, or what's actually going on.

Finally, the tie in here, is that one of the West Virginians the interviewed was talking about how people were moving from other states to come do all these things, and how she didn't want them to mess up West Virginia the same way they messed up Tennessee. :eyes:

Again, nice tuba case. :tuba:
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

Probably the only two counties in Tennessee I would particularly avoid (other than one I've mentioned all too often) would be the Gatlinburg area and the Nashville area. Gatlinburg is sort of off the beaten path (you have to go there on purpose), and thankfully Nashville has Interstate 840. I do wish there was an upper loop for 840 as well.

I believe northern Virginians repeat a whole bunch of ugly elitist jokes about West Virginia. To me, that speaks very well for West Virginia.
arpthark

Post by arpthark »

Hopefully you didn't have to ship this one from Germany just to discover it's too small!

totally dumb/irrelevant question: what kind of coins do you have on your valve paddles?
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

arpthark wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 7:15 am Hopefully you didn't have to ship this one from Germany just to discover it's too small!
That other one - that almost fits my B&S instrument (other than being designed for a 15 inch bell)...In other words, my B&S F tuba fits in that other case from Germany nicely, but the lid won't close.
...I have a Bohemian F tuba (that I've had for a long time, isn't in bad shape, but is waiting for me to do some updating on it) that should fit nicely in that case that I bought from Germany.
I currently have that tuba stuffed in another case, but I suspect that it will fit much more nicely in the Germany-found Jakob Winter case. That F tuba is NOT a Cerveny, but more Alexander-shaped, except for its bore - which is .689"
Last edited by bloke on Mon Nov 20, 2023 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
sweaty

Post by sweaty »

You're not stereotyping Northern Virginians, are you?
These users thanked the author sweaty for the post:
bloke (Mon Nov 20, 2023 7:25 am)
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

Why yes. Yes, I believe I am...
... but in the same way that I know good and well that not every Memphian goes out looking to rob, maim, and murder every day. It's just that there are enough of them who do to ruin everything.
These users thanked the author bloke for the post:
sweaty (Mon Nov 20, 2023 7:44 am)
sweaty

Post by sweaty »

If you want to find fault with Northern Virginians, there are much bigger things than stereotyping West Virginians. It's still a good place to live, though.
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

arpthark wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 7:15 am totally dumb/irrelevant question: what kind of coins do you have on your valve paddles?
to fit that instrument:

fünfzig pfennings

Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

Re: Northern Virginia. A few years ago I made the mistake (a location mistake, not a "people" mistake) of flying into Baltimore when I should have flown into Dulles. So I had to drive, in a rental car, at rush hour, to where I was going to spend the night, which is near Culpepper. I was flat out astonished that a turn signal would get me into the next lane, and the next lane, and the next lane after that on a six lane highway, when my Garmin didn't give me as much warning as I needed to exit. Here, hahaha you won't get that a whole lot of the time. Instead they will pull up closer to the vehicle in front of them to *prevent* you from getting "ahead" of them. Not all the time, but on a pretty regular basis. That courtesy on a highway at rush hour was so different from the bully-your-way-in that you sort of have to do here. It wasn't like that until two different waves of Southern California moved here and californicated the traffic.
These users thanked the author Mary Ann for the post:
sweaty (Mon Nov 20, 2023 10:20 am)
York-aholic

Post by York-aholic »

Mary Ann wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 10:19 am It wasn't like that until two different waves of Southern California moved here and californicated the traffic.
You’re welcome. :laugh:
Some old Yorks, Martins, and perhaps a King rotary valved CC
kingrob76

Post by kingrob76 »

bloke wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 6:44 am Probably the only two counties in Tennessee I would particularly avoid (other than one I've mentioned all too often) would be the Gatlinburg area and the Nashville area. Gatlinburg is sort of off the beaten path (you have to go there on purpose), and thankfully Nashville has Interstate 840. I do wish there was an upper loop for 840 as well.

I believe northern Virginians repeat a whole bunch of ugly elitist jokes about West Virginia. To me, that speaks very well for West Virginia.
I live in Northern Virginia and my father is from West Virginia and I still have (living) family there. I often make ugly elitist jokes about everyone and everything (as well as non-elitist ugly jokes), but I feel I could probably defend all my WV jokes pretty well with quantifiable and measurable information based on direct observation or experience.
Rob. Just Rob.
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

I believe someone just proved my point.
kingrob76

Post by kingrob76 »

I don't get it.
Rob. Just Rob.