Playing with an injury.

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
bloke
Mid South Music

Playing with an injury.

Post by bloke »

Yesterday, I played a rehearsal, a matinee, and a huge evening super blowout Christmas pops. I was staying with a patron, and their microwave in their kitchen looked exactly like mine at home. There was leftover coffee from a party that they had the previous night, and I poured some into a cup and pushed in a conservative amount of time to heat it from room temperature up to drinking temperature. I even added in some refrigerated cream. It's obvious that only the frame of that microwave and brand are the same, and it probably has a couple more hundred watts of power (even though I think ours at home is 1100W) because I burned the skin on the center of my bottom lip pretty badly and a little bit on my upper lip. Luckily, I got rid of it before it did very much to my tongue. The bottom lip blistered, and I peeled off that mess. Of course, I immediately ran cold water over my lips, but I also spread a very small amount of cortisone across them, but not so much that I would end up ingesting a significant amount, because that stuff is not really good to eat - not at all.

What I discovered was that - even though it stung just a little bit to play - it really wasn't that bad, because the places where the mouthpiece contacts the face were not burned, and my playing really wasn't affected at all - not even when executing movie score "depth charges". It was not much different from playing with a little pain and my hip, knee, finger, or something like that.

Lips - at least mine - heal very quickly. I'm sure I'll be fine by tomorrow or Tuesday. :smilie8:

Ace

Re: Playing with an injury.

Post by Ace »

Very scary experience, especially just before a performance!

Ace
bort2.0

Post by bort2.0 »

...the only way coffee can defend itself.

But really, hope it heals quickly. Super painful!
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

Yikes. I guess you could view it as having been lucky that it wasn't worse.

I had a similar thing with a microwave at work -- heated a bowl of very heavy soup, took it out, and it exploded (literally; bubble of gas underneath the top inch of the "soup") on my wrist, creating a 2nd degree burn over many square inches. That did not heal quickly, and I'm glad yours appears to be doing better. Lesson learned, I'm sure.
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

This burned lip is healing and has gotten to the point where I can stretch it and contract it without it hurting, and most of the burned skin has sloughed off, I'm figuring out that it was a bad enough burn so as some of the muscle tissue inside it was also damaged - and that's healing as well, but I think I've gained a new sympathy for people who love to play, simply don't have really good lip muscle structure, and just can't quite make the most beautiful sounds or get quick enough response to really play at a top level... so I believe I'm referring to people who know exactly what to do, no exactly how to get there, and know exactly what type of sound and everything that they need to achieve, but just can't quite physically do it.

This year, a couple of my upcoming Christmas jobs have several difficult passages. Because of the burned lip thing, I got the music in advance for these jobs and I'm working on it. My lip just isn't vibrating and responding as quickly as before during this healing process and nor with the type of resonance to which I'm accustomed. Fast passages require more work for clarity and quick jumps to low pitches have to be anticipated even earlier.

btw...
No one need caution me about being careful and not playing too much and all that kind of jazz. I'm not trying to overwork this injured lip, but I'm just trying to carefully rehabilitate it to the point that I can get through some jobs and collect those checks. I think it's probably better to do some playing and keep it from becoming too stiff during healing than too not play at all, because I do believe that using the muscles and vibrating the lips is helping this lower lip muscle to heal in a way to restore the suppleness. Further, tolerating just a little bit of pain while stretching and contracting it - while repairing instruments, driving the car, watching tv, or doing whatever - I believe has also contributed to promote/suppleness during healing. It's easy to tell someone else who has been injured to be careful, but I believe the injured person leads to use their own body's feedback to determine how much activity is helpful and how much is too much. I've done the same thing in the past when I've burned weird places in my hands which have to stretch all the time while I'm working to repair instruments, and I carefully stretched those places while they were healing, so I could continue to work with full extension.

I guess I need to be patient regarding the return of my world class sound. :laugh:

EDIT:

OK...
Here's an example of needing to CHANGE some playing strategies - with this injury.
Here's where (apparently?) some zealous tuba-lover wrote an arrangement for orchestra and choir for Ding Dong Merrily on High.

As I can't remember the precise tempo (alla breve...aka "cut" time) that we rehearsed this piece on Wednesday, I'm BOTH running these passages at about 100 bpm (which seems "right" for this carol), and also at 110 bpm (just in case). ...Not THIS choir director/conductor, but one of my per-service orchestras' music directors likes things on the top-ends of tempi which are appropriate, so I always work on pieces - both at appropriate tempi and ABOVE appropriate tempi - as a precautionary measure.

What I'm finding - with this injury - is that the lowest pitches in these runs (rather than adding MORE air/sound) are needing to be played at a bit more moderate volume level (and with a bit less air) in order for the lips to respond (as well as they can - at this time) through those portions of those runs...
...At least (sort of being self-aware, in my playing, I suppose...??) I'm figuring out what needs to be done - for now - in order to get through this stuff and while still delivering a marketable product. ( :laugh: ...and no, it was some past player - and I believe I recall, at one time, this church briefly had a members orchestra, as I recall them asking me to sell some of their instruments for them - who marked in the beats.)

one other thing: I'm needed to breathe in MORE air for long-phrase breaths (as my lips are currently vibrating LESS efficiently, so it takes more air flow to get them to vibrate somewhat - and best I can manage for now).

bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

I realize this thread is boring...but :laugh: it's pretty important to me.

As of today, I've pretty much got my sound back.

I have a show tomorrow night (and another on Monday as well), and it should be even better.

I have a few bass trombone parts to cover with the F cimbasso (long list of tunes on this gig), and there's a little counter-melody thing that involves a G above the staff...It's coming out just fine again - as are the "depth charge" low F's, E's, E-flat's, soft playing, and lickety-split playing.

That was quite a burn...but (again) it could have been much worse.