The Day Before NYC TubaChristmas Meetup?

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
tylerferris1213

The Day Before NYC TubaChristmas Meetup?

Post by tylerferris1213 »

Hello everyone! I'm going to be driving out to NYC tomorrow, stopping at a bunch of antique stores along the route, and arriving in the evening. Wish me luck in finding some awesome stuff at the antique stores lol. I'm looking at the weather forecast, and Saturday looks beautiful! Sunday, not so much... With that in mind, who's going and would want to meet somewhere in Central Park on Saturday to play some music? I can bring a bunch of my arrangements and other people are welcome to bring theirs'! Just bring enough to share.

If you're interested and you'll be in town Saturday, shoot me an email! tylerferris1213@gmail.com

Edit- I guess playing in Central Park is illegal, so we would find somewhere else fun to meet.
Last edited by tylerferris1213 on Thu Dec 07, 2023 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tyler Ferris
Wessex British F
York Monster Eb
Getzen CB-50 CC
Cerveny CBB-601 BBb
"Yamayork" Frankentuba Subcontrabass FF
Grumpikins

Re: The Day Before NYC TubaChristmas Meetup?

Post by Grumpikins »

Best of luck on your adventure. Remember, I found my Eb tuba in an antique shop.

Sent from my SM-S367VL using Tapatalk

Meinl Weston 2145 CC
King Symphonic BBb circa 1936
Hopefully a pre WWII king Eb soon.... :teeth:
LeMark
Site Admin

Post by LeMark »

I just sent you a message on facebook, playing in Central Park without a permit is illegal, but we could play on a sidewalk even if that means playing in times square.
These users thanked the author LeMark for the post:
tylerferris1213 (Thu Dec 07, 2023 3:07 pm)
Yep, I'm Mark
bort2.0

Post by bort2.0 »

Mark is correct, you would need a performers license in a park, or in the subway. There are lots of buildings that have their own private plazas where people congregate even on the weekends. Some of those have lax security that just don't care. Some of them are the opposite.

At any rate, I think it's a case of "ask for forgiveness instead of permission." Do what you can where and when you can... And if you're asked to leave, be on your way without question.

I think times square sucks. Everything about it. Yes, it's the one place where you could probably do just about anything and nobody would run you off. But among other things, it's so noisy that its the last place I would want to try and do something like this. Maybe it's changed :laugh:

Any more than 1 or 2 people though, it's going to look like something organized, and I'd expect someone to stop and ask you about it. New York loves permits. Because permits cost money. :)
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

If you like to buy old stuff, you should come here. I have plenty of it.
These users thanked the author bloke for the post:
hbcrandy (Fri Dec 08, 2023 10:06 pm)
tylerferris1213

bloke wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 6:37 pm If you like to buy old stuff, you should come here. I have plenty of it.
I've actually wanted to visit and peruse your parts bins for awhile now, but this weekend would be quite a detour to fit you in.
Tyler Ferris
Wessex British F
York Monster Eb
Getzen CB-50 CC
Cerveny CBB-601 BBb
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

I don't think you'd be particularly impressed with the stuff that's not associated with any particular individual instrument or project.

Have a wonderful TubaChristmas, and good luck finding stuff similar to the stuff that surrounded me when I grew up.
tofu

Post by tofu »

[
Last edited by tofu on Sun Feb 25, 2024 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bort2.0

Post by bort2.0 »

It's all about context, and NYPD, judges, everybody in between knows that.

If it's one dude sitting on a bench on the sidewalk playing some songs, that's a whole lot different than if it's five or six people, holding music, standing around somewhere and playing. The level organization and sophistication counts for a lot. Not to mention, if it's just a couple people sitting around in a field, who cares. But if it's a couple of people sitting around in a public walkway, intentionally or unintentionally presenting themselves as street performers, that's a whole lot different.

I mean, if a couple of people are sitting around picking on guitars when a blanket in the middle of summer, nothing is going to happen. But if they're all standing around playing organized music together in the middle of the sidewalk, or plaza, you may run into some trouble

Having lived there for 8 years, I'm guessing the NYPD would approach you and ask you to move on, just like tofu said. I do think they are more likely to approach to you than to solve actual crime, because NYPD hates crazy as much as you hate crazy. And if they can spend their time cherry picking the easy stuff and making a day out of it, that's what they're going to do. I saw this time and time again.

For example, NYPD patrolling the subway, not caring at all about the death stench homeless people taking over the ends of the trains, including one person who very much I believe was in the process of losing his leg to infection. And simultaneously chasing me down, stopping me, while carrying a tuba, insisting that I show them the stolen student fair subway card that I had just used to Enter the station illegally. They kept insisting that I handed over, and calmly and politely I kept saying, the one and only Metro card that I have is in my front pocket I'm happy to give it to you so you can see. I just came from orchestra rehearsal. I'm a tubal player. Eventually, the kind of just gave up and moved on.

It's a terrible job that they have. I'm grateful that they are there, but that's not to say that they are perfect in any way. Again, my interactions were always that they would prefer to go for the low hanging fruit than to actually pursue the crazy.
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

I comment on that sort of thing enough. Have a great TubaChristmas.

Just don't forget to bring your emotional support tuba.
humBell

Post by humBell »

bloke wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 9:42 pm ....emotional support tuba.
That's what i like to call it, too!

Anyway, y'all who were there, how'd it go?

I like tonoive vicariously...
"All art is one." -Hal
Three Valves

Post by Three Valves »

I heard there was rain, hope it went well! :tuba:
Thought Criminal
Mack Brass Artiste
TU422L with TU25
1964 Conn 36k with CB Arnold Jacobs
Accent (By B&S) 952R with Bach12
The Fourth Estate is the Fifth Column
LeMark
Site Admin

Post by LeMark »

Less rain than expected. The concert went on with almost 400 people, but I wound up not going

I went to rehearsal to say hi to a couple people, but skipped the concert. Not worth it to me to play in the rain
Yep, I'm Mark
bort2.0

Post by bort2.0 »

LeMark wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 10:58 am Less rain than expected. The concert went on with almost 400 people, but I wound up not going

I went to rehearsal to say hi to a couple people, but skipped the concert. Not worth it to me to play in the rain
That's disappointing, sorry to hear it.

The last time I played at the NYC event, it was raining, and it was no fun at all. It was like 35 degrees and raining, which made your tuba accumulate water in the bell, the horn was cold and slippery, and it was just miserable.
LeMark
Site Admin

Post by LeMark »

Yeah, I know my triggers I would not have been a happy camper

On the plus side we saw the rockettes Christmas spectacular, and it was as good as advertised, maybe better!
Yep, I'm Mark
UncleBeer

Post by UncleBeer »

bort2.0 wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 11:34 am The last time I played at the NYC event, it was raining, and it was no fun at all. It was like 35 degrees and raining, which made your tuba accumulate water in the bell, the horn was cold and slippery, and it was just miserable.

The hellish north. :gaah:
tylerferris1213

NYC TubaChristmas was fun! There was a little rain, but I didn't let that dampen my spirits lol. I brought my plastic tuba and a Kellyberg mouthpiece, so I didn't have a giant chunk of brass sapping all my heat. I also rigged up a harness system so it wouldn't slip around, which made it quite comfortable to play.

Overall, it was a ton of fun! Even got to go to Delmonico's, the really fancy steak place. The best part was that my friend insisted on picking up the bill there haha.

I finally got to meet Mark in person, even if it was just a fist bump during the rehearsal lol
Tyler Ferris
Wessex British F
York Monster Eb
Getzen CB-50 CC
Cerveny CBB-601 BBb