C or E flat ?

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
Dean Robinson
Has thanked: 0

C or E flat ?

Post by Dean Robinson »

As a 71 year old, I'm thinking about down-sizing from a 4/4 BBflat to a CC or E flat. What are any recommendations? Thanks

LeMark
Site Admin

Re: C or E flat ?

Post by LeMark »

E flat would probably be easier to transition to from BBb. I'm not sure the reason for the change, but it seems like if you are looking for something smaller, lighter, ect, the CC isn't really a big change at all
Yep, I'm Mark
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

depends on the make/model/and all sorts of stuff (including for your personal reasons or perceived reasons for changing).
acemorgan

Post by acemorgan »

A few years ago, I developed osteoarthritis in my left shoulder, and decided to downsize from my 4/4BBb to a euphonium. Smooth transition as far as fingerings went.

Then, a couple years after that, I bought a small Eb tuba. There was a learning period, but not that bad because like many tuba players, I had originally played a cornet (substitute trumpet as needed). The fingerings are similar, from a "just stare at the staff and ignore the clef" perspective.

You can find 1/2 BBb tubas out there, but if I were doing my thing all over again, I would have gone straight to Eb tuba. I still play euphonium, too. But I love Eb.

I would not suggest a CC. You would probably not feel a "downsize" benefit.

FWIW
Seek not to follow in the footsteps of the men of old; seek what they sought. -Basho

Courtois Eb
Carl Fischer Eb
Wessex Dolce
Dean Robinson
Has thanked: 0

Post by Dean Robinson »

Thanks everybody for the replies. Was looking for something lighter, and mostly play small groups or quintets any more so really don't need the big horn sound
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

If you're looking for something that's lighter weight, that's going to be hard to do. Shorter tubas aren't necessarily lighter weighing - particularly if they still have four valves.

Probably the easiest thing to do is to find a B flat Cerveny 681 or something like that, because they weigh less than most tubas.

If you're looking for something with a lighter sound, that's pretty easy.