SOLD - Alexander 164BBb Kaiser in Silver Plate - $5,500

Read forum rules before posting.
Forum rules
This is for buying or selling your personal equipment, but sponsored selling is allowed as well. We are requiring all ads to have the following information. Price, (even for trades) Brand, Model, and location (for instruments, not accessories) need to be included in the ad, or at least be very clear in link provided. It is acceptable to link to an external ad if you are promoting a sale of your personal equipment. No Ebay Auctions, but Buy it now listings are fine. Photos are HIGHLY suggested as well. If you see an ad that does not meet these criteria, please report it.
Willbrett

SOLD - Alexander 164BBb Kaiser in Silver Plate - $5,500

Post by Willbrett »

SOLD

Begrudgingly selling my Alex 164BBb. I'm told this horn likely dates to the 1970's. Tuba is in great shape, with only a few bumps and bruises as one would expect on a tuba that's at or nearing 50 years old. Silver plate is more than 95% intact.

This is a great playing instrument with a massive sound. Intonation is better than the reputation for these tubas would make you expect. I use 1&2 & 2&3 for D/Db in the middle of the bass clef staff, but no other notes require any alternate fingerings or embouchure gymnastics.

This is a large instrument, both physically and sonically - see photos for size comparison to my Alexander 163CC.

Tuba is located near Tampa, FL. I prefer not to ship, but would be willing to discuss options with a buyer if necessary.

Price is $6,000, and will include a Reunion Blues Cordura gig bag, which is used but still perfectly functional.

Photos: https://photos.app.goo.gl/HLXzTVW3zxxX8RiB8
Last edited by Willbrett on Wed Apr 03, 2024 5:37 am, edited 4 times in total.
These users thanked the author Willbrett for the post (total 2):
York-aholic (Sat Jan 13, 2024 3:21 pm) • the elephant (Sat Jan 13, 2024 3:29 pm)

bort2.0

Re: Alexander 164BBb Kaiser in Silver Plate - $6,000

Post by bort2.0 »

That's incredible, I wish I could!!
These users thanked the author bort2.0 for the post:
Willbrett (Sat Jan 13, 2024 6:00 pm)
Ted Cox
Has thanked: 0

Post by Ted Cox »

The 164 Kaiser is a rare tuba to find - they don't come up for sale very often. Very few people have played this model and fewer have spent much time learning how to play them. Four years ago, I bought an Alexander 5 valve Kaiser CC that was built in 2004. What I've discovered during that time is if you have any hidden weakness in your sound production, the 164 will find it. Yes, it has a very large bore, but over time, it's taught me to move the exact same air on my 163's. In many ways it's the easiest of my tubas to play and it's been a big help with improving my playing overall. It's not a point and shoot tuba at all. Although, if you picked up my 164 and played an F# just below the staff, you'd want to buy it. With time, every note starts to sing. There isn't a note on my 164 that I can't play in tune. Unfortunately, the 164 has a not so good reputation, and maybe some of the 164's are dogs. But my guess is most people don't know how to blow an Alex and therefore they get a bad result. When I was trying out the 164, I owned a Rudy 5/4. My wife who is a former horn player had me play both back-to-back. Her response, "fog - no fog". The "no fog" was the 164. Alexander's have a clarity and color I've yet to find on any other instrument - and the sound on these 164's is massive. Hopefully my comments help someone, (the seller and buyer) pass this instrument onto someone else.
These users thanked the author Ted Cox for the post (total 2):
the elephant (Mon Jan 15, 2024 6:54 am) • Willbrett (Mon Jan 15, 2024 7:25 am)
Willbrett

Post by Willbrett »

@Ted Cox Your comments are 100% spot-on. And interestingly enough, F# and G at the bottom/just below the bass clef staff are notes that absolutely explode out of this horn, too (also D & F in the staff, fwiw).

I'll openly admit to not owning this tuba for a long period of time. I bought it because I've found myself falling in love with the Brass Band I play with, and thought switching back to BBb after 26 straight years on CC wouldn't be too overwhelming. Turns out I was wrong. I'm too old, and my brain doesn't work well enough to switch back and forth anymore.

You mentioned something about how playing your 164 has influenced your airflow on your 163, and I'd love to hear more about that. I've definitely found the same to be true. Every minute I spend playing this 164 makes me better when I pick the 163 up again.

I'm really close to removing this ad and keeping the 164BBb. It makes the sound I've always wanted to make, pure and simple. Is it more challenging to play than the CC horns I've owned? Yes, it is. But is it also more rewarding? Definitely. The intonation is so much better than the reputation says it should be. There are literally two notes that require the most common alternates... that's it! I've also spent decades convinced that I needed 5 valves, and on a CC, I still think I do. This horn doesn't. I can easily play every note in tune. I think that most of my hesitation to keep this horn stem from my brain's inability to transition back to BBb fingerings.
Willbrett

Post by Willbrett »

Price drop - Now $5,750.
Willbrett

Re: Alexander 164BBb Kaiser in Silver Plate - $5,500

Post by Willbrett »

Price drop to $5,500.00