What to do with a Conn 28K 4v Eb sousaphone?

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.

I should...

keep it as-is with a patina and sell it
36%
get it shiny and sell it
43%
harvest the valves (.691") and use them on a York Monster 3v upright conversion along with a 5th rotor
21%
harvest the valves, cut the slides and use them on an F tuba project along with a 5th rotor
No votes

Total votes: 14

arpthark

What to do with a Conn 28K 4v Eb sousaphone?

Post by arpthark »

I currently have a 1938 Conn 28K Eb sousaphone with four valves, and a late 60s or early 1970s Conn 36K fiberglass sousaphone with a cool painted floral bell that I have had the first slide flipped. I don't need two sousaphones and prefer BBb, so I have a couple ideas for the 28K. I could just sell it outright, or use the valve cluster in some Frankentuba projects. It's satin silver and in nice shape, so that would be sort of tough to bring myself to do, but I doubt I am going to find a 4v cluster for much cheaper than I purchased this sousaphone, so it's sort of a wash. What say ye, TFFJ?

Blake
arpthark

Re: What to do with a Conn 28K 4v Eb sousaphone?

Post by arpthark »

for reference:

Bell interior may have been gold-wash at some point but it's brass now.
Blake
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

In your situation I would ask myself how much would I need to sell it for to feel good about it? And compare that to what I would use it for, to get the same level of satisfaction from it. I don't know how much "shiny" contributes to selling price, but there are buyers to whom it would matter.
Grumpikins

Post by Grumpikins »

Uggh.. future me may be considering switching to Eb entirely because this little one I have is so easy and fun to play. A 4 valve Eb sousa would be perfect. But I'm not there yet... also, I have to work really hard to not be a hoarder.. uggh...!

Sent from my SM-S367VL using Tapatalk

Meinl Weston 2145 CC
King Symphonic BBb circa 1936
Hopefully a pre WWII king Eb soon.... :teeth:
Casca Grossa

Post by Casca Grossa »

Make it shiny and add a 5th rotor.
Mirafone 184 CC
Blokepiece Imperial
Soon to be 5 valve Lignatone/Amati Eb
Blokepiece Solo
gocsick

Post by gocsick »

Whatever you do don't use it for parts! Embrace the Eb sousa life. I play mine once a month for a Dixieland Jam. With I could justify buying another horn, because a 4th valve would be nice.
As amateur as they come...I know just enough to be dangerous.

Conn 20J
MW 20
Holton Collegiate Sousas in Eb and BBb
Holton Medium Eb
40s York Bell Front Euphonium
Schiller Elite Euphonium
Yamaha YSL-352 Trombone
Grumpikins

Post by Grumpikins »

When I try to vote, everything crashes.

Meinl Weston 2145 CC
jtm

Post by jtm »

Oooooh. If you sell it, I’ll be tempted to buy it to replace my satin silver Bb Conn sousaphone (which was less work than I expected to make shiny, so I won’t be too sensitive to whether or not the Eb is shiny).
John Morris
This practicing trick actually seems to be working!
playing some old German rotary tubas for free
WC8KCY

Post by WC8KCY »

Polish the Naked Lady on the bell rosette, if present, and then sell it. :smilie8:

If I didn't already have a nice-playing Martin Indiana E-flat sousaphone, I'd love to own this Conn.
WC8KCY

Post by WC8KCY »

Grumpikins wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 3:10 pm Uggh.. future me may be considering switching to Eb entirely because this little one I have is so easy and fun to play. A 4 valve Eb sousa would be perfect. But I'm not there yet... also, I have to work really hard to not be a hoarder.. uggh...!
Surely you have room for just one more horn.

I've really grown to love my Martin Indiana E-flat souzy now that I'm not as young as I used to be. It can put out a truly satisfying bass line with less than half the air and effort needed to do the same on a 20K. I'm appreciating the ease-of-use more and more with each passing year.

Sent from my cheapie Dollar General burner phone using Tapatalk
Grumpikins

Post by Grumpikins »

Yeah, I could make space somewhere. But it's a battle .... that I cant justify or win right now.

Meinl Weston 2145 CC
arpthark

Post by arpthark »

Thanks for all the interest in this thing, but I think I'd have to restrict it to local pickup or meetup within a few hours of CT since shipping would be absurdly expensive and dangerous to the instrument. I have shipped a lot of tubas, but never a sousaphone.

I'll schedule an appointment with my repairman and see if we can't knock a few dents out of the body. Having slide #1 be adjustable would also be nice, but would require some moving of braces and reconfiguring.

@gocsick, if my 36K fiberglass weren't so much lighter, I would definitely keep this one.

Seems like the votes are dictating that I should keep it intact and sell it. I do think I will shine it up a bit. The patina borders more on grungy gray than cool/smooth purple (like my Buescher) and I think it would benefit, especially after removing some dents (which will be more apparent when it is shiny).
Blake