Thickest Piston/Rotor Oil?

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
tylerferris1213

Thickest Piston/Rotor Oil?

Post by tylerferris1213 »

I work on a lot of vintage instruments that are on the verge of needing a valve section rebuild because of wear. What do you find to be the best valve oil to help these instruments limp along? I know of Meinlschmidt heavy piston & rotor, Monster "smoother," Yamaha vintage, and Hetman classic. I'm fine with anecdotal recommendations, but I also wonder if anyone has done an empirical viscosity measurement on various oils...

Tyler Ferris
Wessex British F
York Monster Eb
Getzen CB-50 CC
Cerveny CBB-601 BBb
"Yamayork" Frankentuba Subcontrabass FF
peterbas

Re: Thickest Piston/Rotor Oil?

Post by peterbas »

Last edited by peterbas on Fri Jun 07, 2024 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author peterbas for the post:
2nd tenor (Wed Jan 31, 2024 12:38 pm)
bloke
Mid South Music

Re: Thickest Piston/Rotor Oil?

Post by bloke »

I always use 30W (the last drippings from a new 5 quart jug after an oil change...which is usually enough to fill a 2-oz. needle oiler) on ROTOR bearings (certainly NOT rotor bodies), including NEWISH rotor bearings.

The VERY MOST WORN pistons (in order to be able to get any sort of characteristic sound out of those instruments) are also something with which you might see me using 30W.
These users thanked the author bloke for the post (total 2):
tylerferris1213 (Wed Jan 31, 2024 10:50 am) • 2nd tenor (Wed Jan 31, 2024 12:38 pm)