Whether "French" tuba or "any" tuba, is our collective regard for Debussy as low as his was for us?

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
bloke
Mid South Music

Whether "French" tuba or "any" tuba, is our collective regard for Debussy as low as his was for us?

Post by bloke »

These users thanked the author bloke for the post:
sweaty (Sun Feb 04, 2024 6:26 pm)

bort2.0

Re: Whether "French" tuba or "any" tuba, is our collective regard for Debussy as low as his was for us?

Post by bort2.0 »

I call that piece "La Merde"

That'll show him! :slap:
Snake Charmer
Has thanked: 0

Re: Whether "French" tuba or "any" tuba, is our collective regard for Debussy as low as his was for us?

Post by Snake Charmer »

At least this has 3.4 times more notes to play than Dvorak 9 and widespread dynamics! But still not my favourite piece on any tuba (but relaxing to play on the french c!)
:tuba: ...with a song in my heart!
Finetales

Post by Finetales »

The trombones don't have a WHOLE lot more to do than that. I played it in undergrad and it was pretty much just an "I get to listen to all these pretty flute solos" experience, not so much a playing one.

There is also a La Mer by a less-known composer named Paul Gilson. That one gives the low brass MUCH more to do, and is still a great piece.
I mostly play the slidey thing.
UncleBeer

Post by UncleBeer »

IMHO, the French tuba gets a fascinating tone in that range, if played correctly. Debussy knew what he was doing.
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

...if I had one of those, if I invested the weeks and months to be able to figure out all of its quirks, and if I didn't fall asleep during that piece to play those handful of low notes where they belong.
bisontuba

Post by bisontuba »

Watch for tomorrow's Simonetti Museum post....
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

2-3 on the huge Meinl-Weston euphonium offers a pretty teethy low F sharp, and I could also play it with the Elliott contrabass trombone mouthpiece that I have - which looks more like a French tuba mouthpiece (and will play euphoniums without the pitch sagging). In fact, it looks a lot like a French tuba mouthpiece. Another advantage is that the M-W euphonium is not too quirky, and I have already figured out its few quirks...oh yeah: and I already own it, and (always convenient) already know which buttons to mash.
UncleBeer

Post by UncleBeer »

bloke wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 7:50 am if I invested the weeks and months to be able to figure out all of its quirks...
Not all that quirky. The first 5 valves are exactly the same as any CC tuba, just an octave up. And the 6th valve is an easy learning curve.
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

The button mashing isn't the biggest issue.
tclements
Has thanked: 0

Post by tclements »

I've always played this on CC. I might try BBb these days.
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

I can see where my euphonium-(just a bit over-)sized instrument would add color to the low F sharps, as well as making them easier to hold out for the full length without busting ribs due to taking in so much air.

Optics-wise, the F tuba (with all those paddles mashed down) would accomplish the same - and probably with more loudless.
These users thanked the author bloke for the post:
jtm (Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:43 am)