What tuba is this

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
tuba.
Lurker
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

What tuba is this

Post by tuba. »

So I bought this tuba off a local high school was about to send it to the shop but then I wondered what kind of tuba is this? Here, take a look. Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by tuba. on Mon May 27, 2024 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

arpthark

Re: What tuba is this

Post by arpthark »

Looks like a B&S model 102. Imported to the USA under various names like Meister Gerhard Schneider and Giardinelli. Does yours have an engraving?

Jake Kline's blog post here features a pic of a five valve Symphonie model:

https://brassandpipes.wordpress.com/202 ... symphonie/
Blake
MiBrassFS

Post by MiBrassFS »

I’ve made some weird purchases of opportunity in my day (usually tools and stuff like that), but what an oddly random thing to buy without knowing what kind it is. A tuba.
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

No idea but it is remarkably dent free for coming from a high school.
jtm

Post by jtm »

arpthark wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 10:02 pm Looks like a B&S model 102. Imported to the USA under various names like Meister Gerhard Schneider and Giardinelli. Does yours have an engraving?

Jake Kline's blog post here features a pic of a five valve Symphonie model:

https://brassandpipes.wordpress.com/202 ... symphonie/
Thanks for the link, Blake. I missed it somehow when I was looking for BBb Symphonie info on Jake's site. Maybe because I was searching for 103?

My new-to-me BBb Symphonie 102 (or 103?) is great to play, and I can't wait to get it into some good playing spaces and to see what it sounds like with other brass.
John Morris
This practicing trick actually seems to be working!
playing some old German rotary tubas for free
tofu

Post by tofu »

MiBrassFS wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 7:28 am I’ve made some weird purchases of opportunity in my day (usually tools and stuff like that), but what an oddly random thing to buy without knowing what kind it is. A tuba.
No it’s not if he had a chance to play and inspect it prior to purchase. If I inspect a horn in person and it is well constructed, plays well and the price is right - I’d be a buyer too regardless of who made it. Even if he bought it on spec - if the price is right (aka -it’s cheap enough that it’s worth it even if it’s just a wall hanger or lawn decoration) then it’s still a reasonable buy.
These users thanked the author tofu for the post (total 2):
jtm (Tue May 28, 2024 5:48 pm) • prairieboy1 (Wed May 29, 2024 10:13 am)
donn

Post by donn »

Does it really matter, "what kind it is?" It's a tuba.

One year back in the '80s, the local folk music festival's yearly auction had a tuba. I don't remember the stencil, but similar eastern European thing maybe imported by a local music store. Among all the fiddles and various knicknacks, this giant brass thing. There was no ebay back then. The auctioneer went through every last ridiculous bundle of drumsticks and whatever, and then kind of made as if to wrap it up. "THE TUBA!!!" sounded from many throats. I took a shot at it, but it went far over my limit, and someone else went home with that big brass tuba with 4 rotary valves. What kind? Who knows?

[edit - it was a "Crown" B&S.]
These users thanked the author donn for the post:
prairieboy1 (Wed May 29, 2024 10:14 am)
MiBrassFS

Post by MiBrassFS »

I guess I’ve known too many counter guys at music stores. Carry on!