Info about the MW 2155R?

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
2aTubaKnight

Info about the MW 2155R?

Post by 2aTubaKnight »

So I have recently acquired a 2155R and am very curious to find more information about this particular model. I've been enjoying it so far, huge sound with lots of core and depth with the amazing Meinl 5/4 response I love so much. It piqued my interest because it looks inspired, at least somewhat--- by the Conn tuba that Warren Deck used throughout the 80s, the sound of which I have become obsessed with.

From what little is available online, it seems to be very rare (I guess I have a thing for rare horns) and according to the serial number (CF-101 etched on the valve) mine may be one of if not the first made.

If anyone here knows more about this particular model, I would gladly appreciate it!

James Knight
Miami Frost School of Music 2026
BM Instrumental Performance
arpthark

Re: Info about the MW 2155R?

Post by arpthark »

These users thanked the author arpthark for the post:
2aTubaKnight (Fri Jun 14, 2024 3:39 pm)
matt g

Post by matt g »

Massive and loud for the footprint but known to have some interesting tuning characteristics.
Dillon/Walters CC (sold)
Meinl-Weston 2165 (sold)
cktuba

Post by cktuba »

I used to own one of the first ones made. I traded in an HB 2P for the 2155 and a MW 45. The 2155 had a HUGE sound but horrid intonation. Just my theory, but I think the gigantic leadpipe and receiver were to blame. The intonation was a bit better when using an unlabeled JK mouthpiece that they were going to include with the horns (I think it was a 3C)... but still BAD. I think the Tuono is the new improved version of this horn. I don't believe they made many of these, due to the intonation issues. If the intonation on yours is decent, I'd be interested to know if it has the original leadpipe. Mine was in the first production batch that made it to the States.
2aTubaKnight

Post by 2aTubaKnight »

cktuba wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 5:16 pm I used to own one of the first ones made. I traded in an HB 2P for the 2155 and a MW 45. The 2155 had a HUGE sound but horrid intonation. Just my theory, but I think the gigantic leadpipe and receiver were to blame. The intonation was a bit better when using an unlabeled JK mouthpiece that they were going to include with the horns (I think it was a 3C)... but still BAD. I think the Tuono is the new improved version of this horn. I don't believe they made many of these, due to the intonation issues. If the intonation on yours is decent, I'd be interested to know if it has the original leadpipe. Mine was in the first production batch that made it to the States.
This one I believe has the original leadpipe... the intonation is not perfect but it's not awful either. When I had my 2165 I actually preferred the models with the big pipe; there's also a modded Thor in my studio with the big leadpipe from a 2165 which I think improved it, at least for my style of playing. Another part of why I was drawn to this horn was the big leadpipe. To each their own I suppose.
James Knight
Miami Frost School of Music 2026
BM Instrumental Performance
Sousaswag

Post by Sousaswag »

Yeah, this became the Thor and later the Tuono. I’d suspect, like above, the mouthpipe is probably to blame. I believe that the body is largely the same on the 5450’s but they made a bunch of things smaller. I don’t think they made many of these, and I don’t think they were around too long.

Their intonation reputation probably steered people away. I’d be curious to play one, though. They look like cool horns.
Meinl Weston 2165
B&M CC
Willson 3200RZ-5
Holton 340
Holton 350
Pan-American Eb
King Medium Eb
matt g

Post by matt g »

Gotta love an advertisement talking about how the 2155 was a replacement for Alexanders when they never really quit making them.
Dillon/Walters CC (sold)
Meinl-Weston 2165 (sold)
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

Those sounded nothing at all like any sort of Alexander tuba. I'm pretty sure I was the first one to point out that the rotary 2155 was later pulled back off the shelf and reimagined as the 5450, but the first time I pointed it out everyone poo-poo'ed me back over at poopoonet.
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

The former tuba player in Tucson Symphony, who was really nice about playing with people including me, had a 2155. He either was a stellar player or got one of the good ones (or both,) because his intonation was spot on.

And that thing could carry -- when the Empire Brass was here doing a concert with TSO, the last thing on the program was S&S. You could hear Mike Sherline on the oom pah over the entire blasting orchestra, clear as day.

He also gave me my first couple of lessons on tuba, when I suddenly had to play Pictures with a community orchestra. He showed me how it was supposed to sound, I got it, and I'm forever grateful.
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

Most everything was pretty good except you could not play G without plsying it 1&3, which is possibly why they attempted to set up a comparison to Alexander tubas.

There were no better and no worse. They were all the same.
catgrowlB

Post by catgrowlB »

I've had my (modified) 2155R for nearly 24 years now. Bought it in used, like-new condition in late 2000/early 2001. Played it through college, and in a regional orchestra for 4 years. Still use it every now and then, mostly for graduation quintet gigs.

The sound is incredible -- very dense, dark and velvety, but with bright overtones (especially with a bowl mpc). I'd say it sorta sounds/plays like a mix of M-W 25 and VMI Neptune, but with a little more bite.

The bottom line G/Gb is about 15c flat in relation to the other open notes on mine. About as flat as 1rst valve C on a Conn 14k Sousa. Lippable for me.
The other intonation quibble is the sharp 23 Eb below the staff. I either set the 3rd slide to compromise between Ab and Eb, or I just pull more for Eb and push back in for Ab's.
Everything else is good/decent pitch-wise.

About 6 years ago I changed out the mouthpipe for a smaller one, as well as a smaller bore 5th valve tubing set to accommodate 3 different length pipes. This made the tuba more easier-responding and versatile.

Over 20 years ago at one of the tuba conferences I asked the M-W rep how many 2155R's were made. He told me 20 - 25 were made. They were made in the 1990s and never were really refined into production horns. The production piston 2155 soon replaced the 2155R, and was a completely different tuba.
These users thanked the author catgrowlB for the post (total 2):
York-aholic (Sat Jun 15, 2024 11:30 pm) • 2aTubaKnight (Sat Jun 15, 2024 11:36 pm)