Not a tuba...single valve bugle info?

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
Grumpikins

Not a tuba...single valve bugle info?

Post by Grumpikins »

Yesterday a fella I work with gave me a slingerland single valve alto bugle. This thing is awesome. All I had to do was wash it up. It seems to have two playing modes, loud and louder! Anything less sounds like there's a wet sock stuffed in the bell. But, wow, at loud it really opens up clear and clean. The single valve set up works amazingly well. Now I wish I hadn't passed up the single valve contra that popped up nearby last summer at $50. Oh well.

Anyway, I'm looking for info on the slingerland bugles. I've only been able to find a few posts here and there on other forums. It sounds like slingerland contracted holton to manufacturer them.

Any elder folks/corps historians here have more info? I'm really curious.

Sent from my SM-S367VL using Tapatalk

Meinl Weston 2145 CC
King Symphonic BBb circa 1936
Hopefully a pre WWII king Eb soon.... :teeth:
Finetales

Re: Not a tuba...single valve bugle info?

Post by Finetales »

Slingerland made a whole line of single-valve bugles, including a piccolo soprano. The ones I usually see are your garden variety single-valve sopranos and baritones (the old/small kind, not bass-baritones). I've seen a few piston-rotor bugles as well, but I don't think they lasted very long into the P/R era.
I mostly play the slidey thing.