Eb tubas

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
EmptyCase

Eb tubas

Post by EmptyCase »

I’ve been considering getting an Eb tuba instead of an F tuba in college(I find I like the sound I get in them more). But with the nature of being in college, I don’t tend to just have money lying around and have to plan ahead.

The Questions:
What kind of Eb tubas are out there(4 and 5 valve) and what do they tend to run for used(responsibly). Ideally I’d end up with somthing like that American style 5v Eb Wilson makes or a Besson 4v.

HI :smilie7:
bloke
Mid South Music

Re: Eb tubas

Post by bloke »

The smallish percentage of us who play E-flat tubas have strong opinions about what we prefer. The two that you mentioned are both good.
The Achilles heel of Willson 5 valve and other five valve ones (though most of them don't play as well in tune as the Willson) is that the low G is going to be crazy sharp unless you grab some slide, and that's quite a common pitch in tuba music.
The Achilles heel of the Besson compensating and the best of the Chinese knockoffs (and I happen to think I sell the best of them, but others disagree and think they do) is that on the 8th partial E flat, D, and maybe D flat above the staff tend to be a little bit saggy.
I just don't care for the four valve front action compensating E flat instruments, because I don't like anchoring my pinky as if it's my left hand index finger, but other people don't seem to mind it at all. You're going to have to get in your car and play some of these things, instead of thinking that you're going to get decisive answers from a freak jury on the internet.

E flat tubas with large bells aren't much different in the way they sound from four quarter contrabass tubas, but they are a bit more nimble.
MiBrassFS
Has thanked: 0

Post by MiBrassFS »

I’m a long time Eb player. It’s been my main bass tuba (but have also used F as well and still have held on to my favorite one). There’s a relatively large Eb tuba tradition in my area, so they’re more common around here (at least they were) than most places and are considered “acceptable.” No one looks crossways at you when you show up with one. Since you are in college (or about to be?), it might be worth your time to see what’s common/acceptable in your area or in your studio (of course, if you play it well and sound good, no one will probably care what it is). Try different models. Lots of very good Eb and F tubas out there. Comparison shop those models you find you like for both price and availability.

Prices sure have gone up lately!

Good luck in your search!
These users thanked the author MiBrassFS for the post:
arpthark (Thu Jun 27, 2024 5:43 am)
Sousaswag

Post by Sousaswag »

I had an old MW 2141 for a month or so. Terrible intonation. I even had it worked on, and sealed up as it was leaking, and it still had terrible pitch. Maybe it was just me being used to F, but man, I couldn’t get a handle on that thing. Supposedly, newer models of that tuba are better. Who knows.

The Willsons are the best of the best 5V front action non-comps, and that’s what I’d pick.

The Besson/Yamaha/others compensating tubas are also really great if you don’t mind 3+1.

Try them out, and find what you like. The issue is actually FINDING them. You will certainly be able to find similar tubas in F that sound basically the same if that’s what you’re after and don’t really care about the key it’s in. The MW 2250 is BASICALLY an F version of the old 2141 with way better intonation.
Meinl Weston 2165
B&M CC
Willson 3200RZ-5
Holton 340
Holton 350
Pan-American Eb
King Medium Eb
UncleBeer

Post by UncleBeer »

Sousaswag wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2024 9:40 am The Willsons are the best of the best 5V front action non-comps, and that’s what I’d pick.
If you haven't tried the Wessex 6/4 Eb "Tubby", you don't know what you're missing. Excellent tuba.

download (3).jpg
download (3).jpg (8.09 KiB) Viewed 1657 times
These users thanked the author UncleBeer for the post:
Lch3 (Thu Jun 27, 2024 11:47 am)
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

And of course there is the Norwegian Star Fan Club. I will never go back to F.
These users thanked the author Mary Ann for the post (total 2):
jtm (Thu Jun 27, 2024 2:42 pm) • WC8KCY (Sat Jun 29, 2024 2:16 am)
kingrob76

Post by kingrob76 »

bloke wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2024 8:17 pm I just don't care for the four valve front action compensating E flat instruments, because I don't like anchoring my pinky as if it's my left hand index finger, but other people don't seem to mind it at all.
It's your lucky day:

https://us.wessex-tubas.com/products/eb ... 59p-te558p
Rob. Just Rob.
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

wass akwards :bugeyes:
MiBrassFS

Post by MiBrassFS »

Regard the MW 2141… there was a major make over on it at one point, a running change similar to how the 2155 changed for the better. There was a certain serial before which you really wanted to avoid them. I’m thinking the tubas after serial number 3000 carried the improvements.
Sousaswag

Post by Sousaswag »

MiBrassFS wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2024 2:36 pm Regard the MW 2141… there was a major make over on it at one point, a running change similar to how the 2155 changed for the better. There was a certain serial before which you really wanted to avoid them. I’m thinking the tubas after serial number 3000 carried the improvements.
That’s what I heard. Mine unfortunately was way below 3000. Had the old style braces and such. I played a newer version 6 months after I dumped my old one and it was MUCH better.
Meinl Weston 2165
B&M CC
Willson 3200RZ-5
Holton 340
Holton 350
Pan-American Eb
King Medium Eb
gocsick

Post by gocsick »

UncleBeer wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2024 9:53 am
If you haven't tried the Wessex 6/4 Eb "Tubby", you don't know what you're missing. Excellent tuba.

download (3).jpg
I spent a lot of time on the Tubby at the MWRTEC, so much fun. I also spent a bit with the Wilson 3400 FA.. It was an Eb kind of conference.

I was surprised but I didn't like the Wessex Gnagey Eb. Couldn't get comfortable holding it.
As amateur as they come...I know just enough to be dangerous.

Meinl-Weston 20
Holton Medium Eb 3+1
Holton Collegiate Sousas in Eb and BBb
40s York Bell Front Euphonium
Schiller Elite Euphonium
Yamaha YSL-352 Trombone
Olds Ambassador Trumpet & Cornet
LeMark
Site Admin

Post by LeMark »

gocsick wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2024 4:24 pm
UncleBeer wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2024 9:53 am

download (3).jpg
I spent a lot of time on the Tubby at the MWRTEC, so much fun. I also spent a bit with the Wilson 3400 FA.. It was an Eb kind of conference.

I was surprised but I didn't like the Wessex Gnagey Eb. Couldn't get comfortable holding it.

That's pretty much standard for the gnagey

The elgar was a lot of fun to play in DC, and the tubby that they had there was much more fun to play than the previous one I tried

If you aren't looking for 4 valves in one hand, I would point you to the Packer 377, or the elgar
Yep, I'm Mark
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

All the stuff that we're posting is personal stuff rather than informational. The problem is that that's all we have to offer, because if we stick to totally informational comments, they really don't offer any information. LOL

So if we offer personal opinions, those aren't really useful and if we offer information, it's just dry numbers and measurements.

I could offer the stupid comment that the fact that I only play three plus one configuration E-flat tubas helps me remember that I'm playing an E flat tuba, but that doesn't do this person any good.
(again), They need to go around and look at some stuff, make the best choice they can (based on knowing very little), buy something, learn to play it, later stumble across something better, decide whether it's actually better, and either buy the better thing or stick with the not as good thing. There aren't any shortcuts to finding really excellent instruments that completely suit ourselves. It's a very long journey.
These users thanked the author bloke for the post:
halissen1 (Fri Jun 28, 2024 11:15 am)
MiBrassFS

Post by MiBrassFS »

EmptyCase wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2024 7:46 pmThe Questions:
What kind of Eb tubas are out there(4 and 5 valve) and what do they tend to run for used(responsibly). Ideally I’d end up with somthing like that American style 5v Eb Wilson makes or a Besson 4v.
As you can see, lots of options and opinions out there. One other affordable entry way into Eb-ville that hasn’t been mentioned is the 4-inline top action Yamaha YEB-321. Limited in that they are not compensating and don’t have a 5th valve (the 381 had a 5th valve, but they cost more and are less common). Despite this, they’re still very versatile and very easy to play. Their prices range from $2000-$3000 depending on general condition. They’re a perennial favorite and if you decide to spend some more after having it for a while, more than likely, you won’t lose much money, if any, when you go to sell.
2nd tenor

Post by 2nd tenor »

EmptyCase wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2024 7:46 pm I’ve been considering getting an Eb tuba instead of an F tuba in college(I find I like the sound I get in them more). But with the nature of being in college, I don’t tend to just have money lying around and have to plan ahead.

The Questions:
There’s loads of different stuff out there but not all of it will be in either your locality or budget. Additionally some of the stuff that’s available won’t be a good match to what you want to do. What is it that you want to do and - though you don’t have to spend it all - have you budget?

I play a Besson 4v compensating Eb and those instruments are, imho, amongst as good as they come. Obviously there are other Eb Tubas that are similarly good too but mine’s a professionals’ instrument played by an amateur.

Ultimately you can only buy what’s available to you and within your budget. The four valve Yamaha mentioned above has a good reputation, it might be enough for you, and better players than me can make them sing.
EmptyCase

Post by EmptyCase »

I really really appreciate the advice from everyone. Im going into my second year in college. It’s not very common in Louisiana to play Eb, but I like it lol. I’ve been busy working in two repair shops last week(school shop and a M&A) so and haven’t been able to check on this post or reply but I will say from what I’ve read, I think my best plan of action is to save up some money and hunt down a Wilson or Miraphone, or Wessex. I could mabey(with some help) build one, but not the quality I’d want.
HI :smilie7:
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

When they hosted a regional conference and the previous tuba teacher, Joe Skillen, was at LSU, I sold one of the studio students a Yamaha 631 3+1 compensating E-flat. I think those are wonderful instruments...and the 632 - in my opinion - just doesn't measure up to the 631.

When Joe and his family were on a trip not too long after that, he dropped his Willson F tuba off for me to straighten it out. I swear it didn't look like it had ever been dropped, but it sure seem to have been put together screwy. He was very pleased with it when he picked it up. He is a remarkably fine player.
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

I'll make a remarkably opinionated generalization about E flat tubas:

There are some dog E-flat tubas, and most of the dogs seem to be those which seem to try to be E-flat tubas which look like F tubas, but there are more currently-made E-flat tubas that I wouldn't mind owning than there are currently-made F tubas, because I'm not interested in owning any F tubas which are currently made, and the only one that I would consider owning is the one that I do own, which was made over forty years ago.
These users thanked the author bloke for the post:
WC8KCY (Sat Jun 29, 2024 2:20 am)
MiBrassFS

Post by MiBrassFS »

There used to be a lots of Yamaha development activity, especially tuba, and in particular Eb tuba, here (Yamaha had a big factory related presence here until they closed up shop). The most local to the area big symphony orchestra guy was an Eb tuba player (the reason Eb was common around here…), so he was tapped to play all sorts of prototypes, etc. So, we students/friends, etc., had the luxury of peeks inside the machine and had the opportunity to play many of them. Early on, I owned a 17” bell Yamaha 631 Eb for a bit. It was not a bad tuba at all. It was very, VERY heavily built. The 641 euphonium (had one of these, too), 631 Eb, and the 631 BBb were all developed together and shared the same build qualities, smaller bells and comparatively very heavy! Seemed like they were chasing the older style “Imperials.” After a while, Yamaha moved on to more modern Besson “Sovereign”-like qualities to compete in the British brass band market. Sounds like they were pretty successful. There were (and have been since…) several iterations of each, the euphonium, Eb and BBb compensators on the market. My favorite of the Eb tubas was one version of what was called the “Maestro” 632 in the UK (for what ever reason, they didn’t use “Maestro” over here). 19” bell, lighter, more Besson “Sovereign“-like bows, with great pitch, sound and response. I don’t know the current status of affairs, but I thought those were just dandy tubas. I lucked into buying one of the Yamaha 632 (“Maestro”) show tubas. I baby sat it until they would let it go!

(Just as a side note, I also have an 15” Imperial bell I can use with it, too.)

I’ll sound old, but there used to be lots of fun stuff around back in the day! Shops, instruments, gigs, camaraderie… Oh, well.
catgrowlB

Post by catgrowlB »

I really enjoy the old-old fat Eb tubas with 4 or 5 valves, usually with a more modern mouthpipe and cut slides where needed. Great sound and playing qualities for quintet and chamber groups!