16% inflation !!!

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
bloke
Mid South Music

16% inflation !!!

Post by bloke »

From time to time, I purchase one of those little containers of STP Oil Treatment. I use it to lubricate the steel contact surfaces on my dent ironing machine, as well as to slow down oxidation on my other steel tools. It was time to buy some more. The last time I bought some it was a $1.97 plus tax, so I guess it was about $2.15 total.
Mrs. bloke just went out and bought me a new jug. In the past there were all sorts of substitute brands that cost less, but apparently no longer. The substitutes were called things like "no smoke" and such. That having been said, last time we did purchase the name brand for the same reason. This time, it was $6.55 with tax.
(Walmart claims to be a little bit cheaper, but guess what? They ain't got none.)

https://www.autozone.com/motor-oil-and- ... 523803_0_0

Heavy_Metal

Re: 16% inflation !!!

Post by Heavy_Metal »

Lack of competition will do that.
Principal tuba, Bel Air Community Band
Old (early 1900s?) Alexander BBb proto-163
1976 Sonora (B&S 101) 4-rotor BBb
1964 Conn 20J/21J BBb (one body, both bells)
1970s Marzan Slant-rotor BBb
~1904 York 3P BBb Helicon
Old Alex Comp.F, in shop
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

Pretty easy to have no competition when you make it impossible for them to stay in business over a period of four years. 2024 isn't over yet either. I know one person who is living in a tent on BLM land. He hopefully just got a job as a math teacher on the res in far NE AZ, but -- he was offered a kindergarten job, which is what he is certified in, and then they bait and switched on him after he pulled up stakes and moved there. Hired in a bunch of teachers from the Philippines and he got bumped in a political move. As if people fresh out of the Philippines would have a clue how to teach on a reservation.
These users thanked the author Mary Ann for the post:
bloke (Fri Jun 28, 2024 7:13 pm)
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

We're not supposed to talk much about politics, but - knowing that the people I vote against planned this sh!t from the beginning - I have to (attempting to dwell in Realville) remember that the person I'm voting for - to oppose them - was fooled into buying into all that crap hook, line, and sinker on the front end himself, and I can only hope that he wasn't in on it.