Valve rebuilds

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
Charlie C Chowder
Has thanked: 0

Valve rebuilds

Post by Charlie C Chowder »

I would like to get a valve set rebuilt. Just a three-valve piston set off of a 6/4 York. We have our local Northwest gent in Seattle, But I have a problem with the wait time. I am an old fart. Would like to get it back before I am too weak to play it. Heck I might even die. I will give him a call to see what I can do to not have it in limbo for so long.

CCC

Sousaswag

Re: Valve rebuilds

Post by Sousaswag »

Yeah... That's the issue. It's REALLY specific work that not a whole lot of people do.

Anderson's really dropped the ball on letting that service go with Secrist.

I wonder if finding another 3v top-action set would be quicker and easier. Obviously, that would need to be the right bore size, wouldn't be original, but the tuba would be playable.

Watching this thread closely! There's got to be others out there who rebuild valves.
Meinl Weston 2165
B&M CC
Willson 3200RZ-5
Holton 340
Holton 350
Pan-American Eb
King Medium Eb
Charlie C Chowder

Post by Charlie C Chowder »

I do have other tubas, younger, upright, four valves in front, brass and silver, but this is my baby. The largest tuba at the Portland TC all these many years that I have owned her. 1934, 26-inch recording bell, 6/4 silver upright, 3 valves on top, 32 lbs. York. With her and my Elf costume, we get a lot of attention. Picture of us made the top 101 pictures of the year for the Oregonian in 2014. Otherwise, I am just a little old fat man who nobody wants a picture of.

CCC
MiBrassFS

Post by MiBrassFS »

Mark Metzler would be my choice. He is local to Anderson Plating and walks his stuff into them for plating. He does the rest.

https://www.metzlerbrass.com/valve-refitting-1
These users thanked the author MiBrassFS for the post:
LibraryMark (Mon Jul 08, 2024 7:04 am)