I own a New Conn 20K...

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
Toakstertuba

I own a New Conn 20K...

Post by Toakstertuba »

And I love it! (TL;DR - It's good!)

I wanted to create a post to talk a little about the new version of the Conn 20K. I have not seen much on the internet in terms of user experience with these (the newer versions at least), and I wanted to share my experience with mine, now that I've had it since the end of April.

I snagged this horn from an online retailer that had it listed as "open box" and was priced at less than half of what it's listed on the Conn Website. They let me come play the horn for an hour in their warehouse before pulling the trigger. The Gooseneck and bits were in the original sealed plastic still, so the horn appeared to be unplayed and the hard case was pristine. I asked what the story was, and found out that Conn called the retailer saying they found it in one of their warehouses and asked if they wanted it. They spent a few days polishing it as it was pretty well tarnished when they got it. Of course with the modern serial numbers, it's really hard to guess the date of manufacture, but there's a decent chance the horn sat in one of Conn's warehouse for upwards of the better part of a decade. My personal guess is it was ordered by a university in a batch, then they returned one/some after realizing they ordered more than the need or something along those lines.

Okay, this horn is heavy. Significantly heavier than the 32K that I just sold, and heavier than my old 38K (that I regret ever getting rid of). Though there's 2 extra inches of bell diameter on this one, not to mention the heavy duty braces. Thing's built like a tank. I'm 6'2, 220lbs, and in my late 30's so I don't mind the weight and to me it's easily worth it for how it plays. I found with one bit, I can have it rest on my shoulder and be well balanced and I pretty quickly stop noticing the weight. I haven't noticed the brass being particularly thin. I've bumped it into mics, its stand, the bell of my other horns etc, and I haven't seen a single ding yet. Admittedly, I am generally quite careful and take particularly good care of my things... especially expensive shiny things that make pretty noises.

This horn is a player! I am continually impressed with the sound of this beauty. The versatility of sound is especially entertaining for me. I can get a big round orchestral sound (my roots), just as easily as a nice edgy brassy big ole sousaphone sound (current gigs). It even plays soft! (Though who does that? :laugh: ). Intonation is very good. The C in the staff is only a tiny flat and lipping it in tune is very easy. Even the C and B below the staff play in tune with minimal effort. The false tones are really easy and centered (like better than any other horn I've played). I am enjoying the short action pistons though, interestingly enough, I notice them more when I leave the horn and play my other horns. It's quickly becoming my favorite horn to play in the stable.

As a player, I would easily recommend this horn to anyone that is looking to have a horn that will last as long as they want to play it (again assuming that person takes at least moderately good care of their things). I absolutely love mine and intend to make this my "lifer."
Thanks for reading!

Last edited by Toakstertuba on Thu Jul 11, 2024 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author Toakstertuba for the post (total 4):
the elephant (Tue Jul 09, 2024 6:58 pm) • jtm (Tue Jul 09, 2024 7:07 pm) • prairieboy1 (Wed Jul 10, 2024 6:54 pm) • Heavy_Metal (Wed Jul 10, 2024 9:54 pm)

jtm

Re: I own a New Conn 20K...

Post by jtm »

Congratulations! That looks great.

It's good to hear that a new one plays well. Sounds a lot like what I noticed about mine from 1970.
These users thanked the author jtm for the post:
Toakstertuba (Tue Jul 09, 2024 7:32 pm)
John Morris
This practicing trick actually seems to be working!
playing some old German rotary tubas for free
gocsick

Post by gocsick »

The weight on 20Ks is balanced really well. My Holton collegiate feels heavier than my band mates 20K even though it is lighter on the scale.
These users thanked the author gocsick for the post:
Toakstertuba (Tue Jul 09, 2024 7:45 pm)
As amateur as they come...I know just enough to be dangerous.

Meinl-Weston 20
Holton Medium Eb 3+1
Holton Collegiate Sousas in Eb and BBb
40s York Bell Front Euphonium
Schiller Elite Euphonium
Yamaha YSL-352 Trombone
Olds Ambassador Trumpet & Cornet
Three Valves

Post by Three Valves »

Shiny! :thumbsup:
Thought Criminal