Yamaha 321 5th valve

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
soarcj@aol.com
Lurker
Has thanked: 0

Yamaha 321 5th valve

Post by soarcj@aol.com »

I would like to buy the elusive and mythical Yamaha 321 5th valve if anyone has it and wishes to sell it

marccromme

Re: Yamaha 321 5th valve

Post by marccromme »

Having a Yamaha 321 Eb 4valve which really plays well, and missing a 5th valve myself, I wounder why this fine tuba never got 5 valves in the first place.

And I do not mean a plug in valve in the 4th tubing, but a real independent 5th.

Problem is that I cant figure out whee to place a 5th independent valve. If anybody did make this mod, I d like to see a picture. ...
tclements

Post by tclements »

I have 2 of them (not for sale) but The Horn Guys USED to carry them.
LeMark
Site Admin

Post by LeMark »

I think we need clarification if the 5th valve is needed for a tuba or a euphonium
Yep, I'm Mark
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

LeMark wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2024 2:47 pm I think we need clarification if the 5th valve is needed for a tuba or a euphonium
The one on the 381 tuba is not detachable. It was part of the instrument. The one with the 321 euphonium was sold as an aftermarket accessory.
LeMark
Site Admin

Post by LeMark »

I understand that, even in this thread the tuba was mentioned, and some people know of the 381 as a "5 valve 321"

When the thread started, I assumed euphonium, but let's clarify
These users thanked the author LeMark for the post:
York-aholic (Sun Jul 21, 2024 3:59 pm)
Yep, I'm Mark
MiBrassFS

Post by MiBrassFS »

Here I am, another monkey with a wrench…

Yamaha made these dependent, detachable 5th valves that lived in the 4th slide for the YEP-321 euphonium. Later Kanstul made a version of them for Horn Guys (Steve Ferguson). Neither is available new now.

There was actually two versions of the YEB-381 Eb tuba. One featured a dependent 5th rotary valve in the fourth valve circuit in similar fashion to the euphonium version except for it was not removable. But… There were also a few made with an independent, side action piston valve in a 4+1 set up.

There was talk of a removable dependent 5th for the Eb, but to my knowledge it didn’t happen for production.

Clear as mud.
LeMark
Site Admin

Post by LeMark »

I still prefer my solution for a 5 valve Euph

I also like the king 2280 more than the Yamaha 321
Attachments
1000000581.jpg
1000000581.jpg (125.17 KiB) Viewed 782 times
These users thanked the author LeMark for the post:
York-aholic (Sun Jul 21, 2024 9:16 pm)
Yep, I'm Mark
MiBrassFS

Post by MiBrassFS »

Nice.
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

LOL...

We are all tossing turds into this thread (me: guilty) per typical, whereby (so far) there should be NOTHING posted below the original post, as NONE of us have any information that will help them obtain what they are seeking.

:laugh:
LeMark
Site Admin

Post by LeMark »

It's not rocket science to cobble one together out of parts.
Yep, I'm Mark
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

LeMark wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2024 6:37 pm It's not rocket science to cobble one together out of parts.
It's also not rocket science to build a car, but it's automotive science.
Additionally, it's a good bit of work.
Finally, it requires a good bit of skill for an assembly such as that to not look like crap, fit like crap, or work like crap.

Again, we're going even farther down the rabbit hole of BS rhetoric when the person who started the thread simply wanted to know where to get one.
LeMark
Site Admin

Post by LeMark »

if they aren't available, then logically, you have someone order the parts to have it installed. I bought a miraphone euphonium with bell damage, fixed the bell, removed the 4th valve circuit for parts, and then sold the whole horn for what I paid for it

When there is a will, there is a way
Yep, I'm Mark
greenbean
Damn good stuff

Post by greenbean »

Just a note: I have the Kanstul-made YEP-321 euphonium plug-in 5th valve that Horn Guys used to sell. It's great.

Tom Rice
www.superfinecases.com
Currently playing...
1973 Mirafone 184 BBb
1972 Böhm & Meinl Marzan BBb
LeMark
Site Admin

Post by LeMark »

Well there you go!
Yep, I'm Mark
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

I'm sure I can build one, but I'm not going to want to build - specifically - ~one~ for someone, when I'm going to need to charge the value of the instrument onto which it would be slid in order to build one, and - when you get into the superior JP knock off of that model (which costs the same amount new as peeps tend to value the Japan ones used), it seems really out of proportion. It's one thing for a hobbyist to devote their leisure time to sticking stuff together, but it's another thing for consumer to be looking for something here and for us to all be changing the subject.

Let me attempt to say something that's actually on topic, (which is a bit of review of the actual genuine Yamaha accessory - as I own one.)

In order to get an adjusted whole step out of one of these things, one has to pull its slide out nearly to the brink. I'm not sure that they really understood what they were needing to build when they built those things.

yet another comment about the genuine article?

As the thumb lever is overbuilt for how long it is, the spring that drives it is inadequate, and everything has to be working perfectly in order for the lever to return to the rest position, when released.?

more?
As the bore size of this model is only .571" and the receiver is standard shank, the response of the low range with this mechanism on this model is somewhat disappointing. It's certainly disappointing compared to the low range response with my very large bore and very large bell compensating euphonium.