Kanstul Eb F Standard mouthpiece

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
gocsick

Kanstul Eb F Standard mouthpiece

Post by gocsick »

A while back a band mate let me try a mouthpiece that was made by Kanstul. It was stamped "Kanstul Eb F". I recall really liking it in his old King 3 valve Eb. I recall it having a shallow cup. A look online seemed to suggest that @Lee Stofer had something to do with the design?

I was wondering if there is anything similar in current production.
If anyone has any measurements or specifications...I would greatly appreciate it.

I found one on eBay but it is euro shank and the seller doesn't provide any detail on the description.

As amateur as they come...I know just enough to be dangerous.

Meinl-Weston 20
Holton Medium Eb 3+1
Holton Collegiate Sousas in Eb and BBb
40s York Bell Front Euphonium
Schiller Elite Euphonium
Yamaha YSL-352 Trombone
Olds Ambassador Trumpet & Cornet
Eric Murphy
Lee Stofer Music

Re: Kanstul Eb F Standard mouthpiece

Post by Eric Murphy »

From what I remember, Lee gave then an RM 9 to copy. The Kanstul Eb/F mouthpiece is very heavily influenced by that Rudolf Meinl mouthpiece. Lee can probably give you more information on this.
These users thanked the author Eric Murphy for the post (total 2):
gocsick (Sun Aug 04, 2024 9:48 pm) • davidgilbreath (Mon Aug 05, 2024 6:17 am)
Band Instrument Repair Technician - Lee Stofer Music
www.tubameister.com
MiBrassFS
Has thanked: 0

Post by MiBrassFS »

Many years ago… Mirafone made a mouthpiece labeled “Eb F” and I want to say it was associated with someone possibly like R. Winston Morris.

Foggy, but… maybe “Eb F” = C8 = TU13. Maybe…

The Goog failed me.
tadawson
Lurker

Post by tadawson »

Most places I look show this as a "TU13 (C8) Winston Morris" https://hornguys.com/products/miraphone-tuba-mouthpiece (Select TU13)
So seems correct from here . . .
Last edited by tadawson on Mon Aug 05, 2024 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
1977(ish) Mira"fone" 186
York-aholic

Post by York-aholic »

MiBrassFS wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2024 9:18 am Many years ago… Mirafone made a mouthpiece labeled “Eb F” and I want to say it was associated with someone possibly like R. Winston Morris.

Foggy, but… maybe “Eb F” = C8 = TU13. Maybe…

The Goog failed me.
That Eb F mouthpiece (or the 2 that I've seen) had pretty small shanks.
Some old Yorks, Martins, and perhaps a King rotary valved CC
MiBrassFS
Has thanked: 0

Post by MiBrassFS »

Yes indeed, I think every one of the Mirafone Eb F pieces I saw had a small (bass trombone-ish) sized shank.

Kanstul (or rather Jim New…) apparently made them in American and larger Euro shank. He’s still making mouthpieces…
These users thanked the author MiBrassFS for the post:
York-aholic (Tue Aug 06, 2024 1:33 am)
Lee Stofer

Post by Lee Stofer »

I accompanied Zig Kanstul and Charles Hargett to the Musikmesse in Frankfurt, Germany, in March of 2010, where Kanstul was
introducing his line of York-like 4/4 BBb, CC, and the York monster-like Eb tubas. I carried my Stofer Geib mouthpiece with American shank,
and a Rudolf Meinl RM-9 / 7.8 backbore mouthpiece to use while showing these tubas at the Kanstul booth. I had told Mr. Kanstul that,
in my experience, his Bach 18 copy might work on the contrabass tubas, but not the Eb. I further elaborated that I had found that trying
to use a deep cup (or funnel) contrabass mouthpiece on an Eb tended to produce a muddy low range and make the instrument go flat in the
upper range, and not have a nice and clear characteristic sound in any range. I know that there can be exceptions, but this works as a general
rule.

A week or two after returning to the US, Mr. Kanstul called me one afternoon, asking me, "Now, what was that mouthpiece that you were going
on about, for Eb tuba?" I told him about this mouthpiece again. He said, "If I make one, what should I call it?" I replied, you could simply call it an Eb/F mouthpiece. I sent him my Rudolf Meinl RM9 / 7.8 to evaluate, and about two weeks later he returned it to me, along with a copy of the Kanstul EB/F mouthpiece. The Kanstul mouthpiece did differ somewhat from the Rudolf Meinl mouthpiece, but I thought that Kanstul's mouthpiece was possibly the best Eb/F tuba mouthpiece made in the USA at that time. I think that Jim New had a lot to do with that. It was designed to complement an Anglo-Saxon style instrument (such as a York), as opposed to a Czech/German-style instrument, and did quite well. Kanstul may have made some with a Euro-sized shank, but I do not remember trying anything like that.

The Rudolf Meinl RM9 / 7.8 is still available through Musik Thomann as far as I know. I now have some Robert Tucci and Schilke mouthpieces in stock, and have found the RT-65, RT-64 and RT-62, as well as the Schilke Helleberg II F to be very solid performers.
These users thanked the author Lee Stofer for the post:
gocsick (Tue Aug 06, 2024 8:53 am)