random

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
bloke
Mid South Music

random

Post by bloke »

I rehearsed this morning for something that seems to have become an annual thing at a church (involving quintet & timps). Still being the non-busy season, it was all the first call players... well I must have been called by accident, but whatever. The charts were emailed, and they ranged from contrabass to (screamin' high for "tuba") 2nd trombone. I just didn't feel like dragging a bunch of gear over there and up those basically two story curving concrete steps to that rear balcony (where the organ and choir are found in a typical cathedral), so I just took the F tuba. I haven't grabbed that instrument since forever and taken it to a work site. Man... it's just the cat's PJs. I've got to start using it again. :thumbsup: :tuba:
These users thanked the author bloke for the post (total 2):
arpthark (Sat Aug 10, 2024 12:52 pm) • WC8KCY (Sat Aug 10, 2024 1:46 pm)

arpthark

Re: random

Post by arpthark »

Snag a recording of the performance if you can.
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

They broadcast using really crappy omnidirectional microphones that make us sound like we are playing kazoos. It's the Church of the Holy Communion in Memphis Tennessee, and it's an Episcopal cathedral. I think the service starts at 10:30 CDT, we are playing a bunch of stuff with organ and choir, and that rambling Vaughan Williams thing (which I referenced the other day) by ourselves at the end of communion.
Three of the things are those way over arranged and way over harmonized Richard Webster hymn settings.

I've listened to archived services before, and the audio is typically terrible. Maybe I actually play that badly.
WC8KCY

Post by WC8KCY »

bloke wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2024 1:20 pm They broadcast using really crappy omnidirectional microphones that make us sound like we are playing kazoos. It's the Church of the Holy Communion in Memphis Tennessee, and it's an Episcopal cathedral. I think the service starts at 10:30 CDT, we are playing a bunch of stuff with organ and choir, and that rambling Vaughan Williams thing (which I referenced the other day) by ourselves at the end of communion.
Three of the things are those way over arranged and way over harmonized Richard Webster hymn settings.

I've listened to archived services before, and the audio is typically terrible. Maybe I actually play that badly.
My hometown radio stations use plain ol' telephone lines for their audio links to the local churches whose services they broadcast. That's probably the same arrangement used by the church and radio station you mentioned above...and why the choir and congregation, when singing, sound like they've all got emphysema and laryngitis, every Sunday.
Schlitzz

Post by Schlitzz »

In KY and WV, this would be a 1st Cousins call gig. Just saying.

Crappy omnidirectional microphones?

Good excuse right there to perform some Stockhausen….
These users thanked the author Schlitzz for the post:
bloke (Mon Aug 12, 2024 6:48 pm)
Yamaha 641
Hirsbrunner Euph

I hate broccoli.
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

There's also this creepy little video camera on the balcony ledge next to where I always sit which is usually faced towards the altar, but sometimes when we are sort of featured it rotates around and presents a nice view of my suit coat covered buttocks.
tclements
Has thanked: 0

Post by tclements »

In a situation like this, I bring a CC and play the high stuff 8vb. USUALLY, it doesn't matter.
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

Well I don't have a c tuba, so I guess that rules that out...

... I do have lots of other stuff, including a bass saxophone.

This one was played in speakeasies and burlesque houses the hundred years ago, but maybe its sins have been forgiven.
humBell

Post by humBell »

I am hoping to add a comment to tend this thread to be more inline with the subject.

"I'm not the pheasant plucker, i'm the pheasant plucker''s son, and i'm only plucking pheasants 'til the pheasant plucker comes." -theatrical diction warmup.
"All art is one." -Hal
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

I just printed off a facebook message re: a last-minute-ish gig (next Sunday).

I used Microsoft "Paint".

It sure chose an odd font...and huge + italics to boot.

bloke "random"