Playing with teeth (dental) braces - seeking advice

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
sidenius
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Playing with teeth (dental) braces - seeking advice

Post by sidenius »

Due to the need of adjusting the bite, I've started wearing teeth braces at the age of 63 :facepalm2:
Fortunately it is not as bad as feared to play the tuba with these foreign metal objects on - except for the fact that the inside of my lower lip gets sort of stucked on the sharp edges and thereby inhibits the flexibility.

I've been considering how to make a thin silikone cover for the lower brace. But maybe the mucous membrane will just harden over time and make it easier for the lower lip to flex?
My dentist provided me with wax for forming small balls to put on each tooth, but that's just so complicated and time consuming

Any good advice or shared experience is much appreciated!

Mary Ann

Re: Playing with teeth (dental) braces - seeking advice

Post by Mary Ann »

Too late but Invisalign?
Pauvog1

Post by Pauvog1 »

I did Invisalign. I still had to remove them to play, but the little anchor points were less invasive than standard braces. It's been worth it for my tuba playing since they came off, but was a big adjustment during. Had to learn to use a lot less pressure against the mouthpiece.
MW 2155
PT-18p (MRP)
JP 274 MKII
For sale
Laskey 30G, American shank https://tubaforum.net/viewtopic.php?t=9 ... 2f1502a4d7
Giddings Baer CC Euro shank https://tubaforum.net/viewtopic.php?p=96137#p96137
Pauvog1

Post by Pauvog1 »

Pauvog1 wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2024 5:57 pm I did Invisalign. I still had to remove them to play, but the little anchor points were less invasive than standard braces. It's been worth it for my tuba playing since they came off, but was a big adjustment during. Had to learn to use a lot less pressure against the mouthpiece.
This might provide some guidance for standard braces. I've had several students use this style of wax (I was a middle school band director for a good while).

https://www.themusichutchstudio.com/ort ... nstrument/
MW 2155
PT-18p (MRP)
JP 274 MKII
For sale
Laskey 30G, American shank https://tubaforum.net/viewtopic.php?t=9 ... 2f1502a4d7
Giddings Baer CC Euro shank https://tubaforum.net/viewtopic.php?p=96137#p96137
Jperry1466

Post by Jperry1466 »

During my band directing days in the 1990s, we had a local orthodontist who provided something that did the trick, but I don't remember exactly what it was that covered the "barbs". His daughter was a fine horn player, so he had an interest in helping those kids, including my own two children. I would suggest you ask your orthodontist.
These users thanked the author Jperry1466 for the post:
Pauvog1 (Sat Aug 17, 2024 7:16 pm)
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

Two different dentists have told me that I have age-related bunching of my front lower teeth to the point where the hygenist has trouble getting between them for cleaning, and both have suggested invisalign. I did not know there were anchors involved -- thought it was like a series of clear retainers. Hmmm. However, since the rim does not impact my lower teeth on tuba, likely would be ok, but if I play horn again, sounds like it could be a problem.
How much does invisalign cost? All the web sites will say is "ask your dentist."
I had "real" braces when I was a kid and not even slightly interested in that metal stuff again.
Grumpikins

Post by Grumpikins »

Mary Ann wrote:Two different dentists have told me that I have age-related bunching of my front lower teeth to the point where the hygenist has trouble getting between them for cleaning, and both have suggested invisalign. I did not know there were anchors involved -- thought it was like a series of clear retainers. Hmmm. However, since the rim does not impact my lower teeth on tuba, likely would be ok, but if I play horn again, sounds like it could be a problem.
How much does invisalign cost? All the web sites will say is "ask your dentist."
I had "real" braces when I was a kid and not even slightly interested in that metal stuff again.
Were looking at braces for my middle son. The invisiline quote is about $6k. The regular braces about $5k. These prices are specific to his alignment needs. And of course, our insurance is refusing to assist saying his teeth are not that bad.... um, his bottom teeth touch the roof of his mouth which the orthodontist says is pretty severe. But you know, insurance people know more than drs.

Sent from my SM-S367VL using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author Grumpikins for the post:
Mary Ann (Mon Aug 19, 2024 3:06 pm)
Meinl Weston 2145 CC
King Symphonic BBb circa 1936
Hopefully a pre WWII king Eb soon.... :teeth:
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

I'd be inclined to say just pull one of the crowded ones to make room. I am THAT stubborn.