NEW mobile bird bath news....

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
Schlitzz

NEW mobile bird bath news....

Post by Schlitzz »

For those of you interested in a lighter mobile bird bath, here's something to consider.

Yamaha 641
Hirsbrunner Euph

I hate broccoli.
bloke
Mid South Music

Re: NEW mobile bird bath news....

Post by bloke »

bated (or - if pancake syrup and bird seed) baited breath
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

King plastic bells fit King and Jupiter (probably JP brass bodies...?? ...possibly...?? even old UK-made Besson sousaphones)
Conn 36K and old Selmer USA plastic bells fit either.

Olds/Reynolds plastic bells fit either, but those are just about no longer around.
travisd

Post by travisd »

Wonder what the weight difference is vs a fiberglass/plastic King bell? Maybe just for the cool factor alone...
Kirley

Post by Kirley »

The ability to separate the bell flair from the elbow and then nest the elbow inside the flair is pretty cool. I'm sure the price won't be cool, though.

The big issue that I have from using plastic/fiberglass bells is that I can't hear myself nearly as well as with a metal bell. I'd expect that to be similar with CF bells.
pompatus

Post by pompatus »

Kirley wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2024 4:16 pm …The big issue that I have from using plastic/fiberglass bells is that I can't hear myself nearly as well as with a metal bell. I'd expect that to be similar with CF bells.
Having previously owned a Butler C-12 Bass Trombone with a detachable flare, this is VERY true of carbon fiber bells. The feedback to the player with a bell that large is very different, though listeners reported things sounded fine from the audience. Once the player gets accustomed to that feedback, they play as well as any other bell and offer a significant weight advantage over traditional brass bells.

Dave Butler is a very friendly man, and would be happy to talk about the new development, if anyone wants to reach out. My experience with Butler Trombones was stellar.
-Conn 4J BBb tuba with lexan Kellyberg mouthpiece