Dr. Leo Davis

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
bloke
Mid South Music

Dr. Leo Davis

Post by bloke »

I apologize if I've bragged on him before.
He's well into his 70's plays organ/piano as well as ever (a "virtuoso" player), and exercises every day (and - to be clear, LOL - NOT "old people" exercises).

Check out the short version of Dr. Leo's resume: https://www.2pc.org/about-us/our-staff/ ... l/1680803/

This is his RETIREMENT job. His classical/gospel choir at his former church was (bloke doesn't toss out compliments casually) astonishing/jaw-dropping.

Unless a choir accompaniment is very specific or very music classical (Bach, Mozart, Vivaldi, Brahms, Ravel, Vaughan Williams, etc., etc...), he's rarely playing what's on the page...He plays way better stuff that no composer/arranger would write, as they wouldn't expect many to be able to play the stuff that Dr. Leo puts out.

In the past, the wind/string players this church (a huge church) would call for gigs would be sorta random, but - it seems (other than xmas eve and Easter, as I'm permanently committed elsewhere) I'm "in" at this place, and glad to be. (Annually - on Easter Sunday, one of the subscribers - here - links an Easter gig I played at this same church - I'm thinking - way back in 2010.)

The other two on the music staff are also amazing, including the choir (literal) "director" and the MUSIC director (oversees the entire music program there - a gent who's quiet, devout, is a fine pianist, a good violinist, and a very talented arranger - ie. not just "Sears-and-Roebuck/Camp K./etc." arrangements, but REALLY good...so - as all three of the music staff are huge talents - it's a pleasure to work there).

tangential: Today the best timpanist in town was working the gig and came up to me between services complimenting my pitch and (dare I say it here...??) world class sound. :laugh: I'm always embarrassed and don't handle it well when those who are obviously/unquestionably my betters offer compliments. This time, though - at least - I remembered to say "thank-you".

...so - as orangeman would say, "The place is UUUUUge !!!!"

These users thanked the author bloke for the post:
hrender (Mon Aug 26, 2024 10:08 am)

Heavy_Metal

Re: Dr. Leo Davis

Post by Heavy_Metal »

bloke wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2024 2:03 pm........(Annually - on Easter Sunday, one of the subscribers - here - links an Easter gig I played at this same church - I'm thinking - way back in 2010.) [/b][/size]
Well, of course he does- it's an excellent performance. :cheers:
Principal tuba, Bel Air Community Band
Old (early 1900s?) Alexander BBb proto-163
1976 Sonora (B&S 101) 4-rotor BBb
1964 Conn 20J/21J BBb (one body, both bells)
1970s Marzan Slant-rotor BBb
~1904 York 3P BBb Helicon
Old Alex Comp.F, in shop
Heavy_Metal

Post by Heavy_Metal »

Heavy_Metal wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2024 5:48 pm
bloke wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2024 2:03 pm........(Annually - on Easter Sunday, one of the subscribers - here - links an Easter gig I played at this same church - I'm thinking - way back in 2010.)
Old Alex Comp.F, in shop
Heavy_Metal

Post by Heavy_Metal »

bloke wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2024 2:03 pm........(Annually - on Easter Sunday, one of the subscribers - here - links an Easter gig I played at this same church - I'm thinking - way back in 2010.)
Old Alex Comp.F, in shop