Assessing when to take the day off

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
cthuba

Assessing when to take the day off

Post by cthuba »

I played ALOT yesterday and noticed that my face still felt “warmed up” when I woke up this morning. Certainly has me thinking that maybe I should have a lighter day or take the day off.

I’m curious how all of you decide to take a day off or have a lighter day from playing?

bloke
Mid South Music

Re: Assessing when to take the day off

Post by bloke »

(being absolutely honest and not attempting to be flippant)

most important excuse/reason: skin is sore
second most important reason/excuse: exhaustion (from doing whatever...ok: or not feeling well)
third most important reason/excuse: simply not inspired (which might be tied in with exhaustion or not feeling well)
...but bloke, if you can overcome #3, that encourages/builds discipline.
At my age, I'm about as disciplined as I can manage...Hey: I haven't punched anyone in the nose - now - for more than a half century.
Jperry1466

Post by Jperry1466 »

Many years ago (like 50), I was practicing 4-5 hours a day, 7 days per week. At some point, my lips/ears/brain refused to play the third line D. All other notes were fine, but the D wouldn't go. In talking to the trombone teacher on a Friday, he suggested I take the weekend off from practicing. I took 2 days off the horn, and the D came back. To this day, I still follow that advice.
dsfinley

Post by dsfinley »

I wouldn’t say I’ve ever taken a day off because I still felt warmed up the next day. In fact, usually those are my favorite practice days as things usually “feel” good. I do take time off if my lips feel stiff and like they can’t function. Usually the next day that issue is fixed. I also try to take a day off at least once a month. This gives me a day to just enjoy my family and myself which is great for mental health. I also find that by doing that I come back the next day feeling a little better and some things I’ve struggled with usually seem much easier. I think there is some study about short breaks after vigorous work giving the brain time to connect pathways together. Don’t quote me as an expert on that though.
bort2.0

Post by bort2.0 »

Don't overthink it, just take the dang day off!
These users thanked the author bort2.0 for the post (total 5):
graybach (Thu Sep 05, 2024 11:27 pm) • Jperry1466 (Fri Sep 06, 2024 12:09 am) • BramJ (Fri Sep 06, 2024 3:32 am) • Mary Ann (Fri Sep 06, 2024 8:23 am) • prairieboy1 (Fri Sep 06, 2024 5:04 pm)
Kevbach33
Has thanked: 0

Post by Kevbach33 »

bort2.0 wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2024 9:53 pm Don't overthink it, just take the dang day off!
Sometimes, it's as simple as this. If my chops feel worked out after playing a bunch (and it happened recently) I don't touch any of my horns (bass trombone is my "1B" vs tuba being "1A") for as long as I can until the next rehearsal/performance.

Just take a day or two if you need it!
F Schmidt 2103 BBb, Laskey 30G US
Wessex TE360P Bombino Eb, Perantucci PT-84S
JP274MKII Euphonium, Tucci RT-7C
Various slide things
MiBrassFS
Has thanked: 0

Post by MiBrassFS »

Lots of (young) people get talked into wringing their hands over their regiment. There’s a couple of different things that cause this worry, none of which I’m going to address. What I will say is that practice and improvement are really about averages. You will maintain your skill set and continue to improve if most days you expend time and effort practicing the things you need to improve upon. A day off, in the grand scheme of things, makes absolutely no negative difference and will often provide a reset, as mentioned, for continued improvement.
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

I was scrolling past a bunch of Instagram reels looking for anything that might be funny or useful before bedtime, and I came across one where a couple of young (obviously post conservatory) musicians - probably freelance - managed to take a vacation, he kept taking it she was talking about practicing, and she claimed that she was saying something else about the vacation. I don't know if it's particularly nice to make fun of neurotic people.
Three Valves

Post by Three Valves »

bloke wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2024 8:05 am I was scrolling past a bunch of Instagram reels looking for anything that might be funny or useful before bedtime, and I came across one where a couple of young (obviously post conservatory) musicians - probably freelance - managed to take a vacation, he kept taking it she was talking about practicing, and she claimed that she was saying something else about the vacation. I don't know if it's particularly nice to make fun of neurotic people.
I never allow nice to interfere with my comedy! :laugh:

Meanwhile, I’m still finding excuses why it is 1:20pm and the back yard still isn’t cut. :huh:

I usually reward myself after. :cheers:
Thought Criminal
Mack Brass Artiste
TU422L with TU25
1964 Conn 36k with CB Arnold Jacobs
Accent (By B&S) 952R with Bach12
The Fourth Estate is the Fifth Column