encouraging rattle can satin black paint to stick to chrome plating

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
bloke
Mid South Music

encouraging rattle can satin black paint to stick to chrome plating

Post by bloke »

I (likely) left my (black) German (model 101) stand somewhere (probably at least a year ago), and am looking to replace it. (yeah...I've been getting by with American-style - probably Chinese) "fan-array" wire stands, and (for the same no-particular-reason that some people prefer to build their frankentubas with nickel tubing and some prefer to build them with brass tubing) I just do not care for American-style fan-array wire stands.

I found a used one that I can buy (including postage) for less than the wholesale/new cost, but it's the chrome plated version.

(Were I to buy JUST ONE new one from my jobber, it would probably cost c. $20 - c. $15 shipping. The used one (even after postage) would be around $15 less, and I'm REALLY trying to count my nickels/dimes these days, and (yup) I have a half-a-can of Rustoleum satin black here.)

I like black wire stands, because I can take a paper folder, spray-paint the outsides of the folder satin black, put that folder on a satin black wire stand on stage, and the "wire stand" appearance is cloaked quite well. :smilie8: :thumbsup:

DECADES ago, I discovered that muriatic acid would strip chrome (as - prehistoric times - I took a large/worn plate glass mirror down from a fireplace, stripped the worn chrome from the back with muriatic, cut the (then: NO LONGER a mirror) glass down an inch or so, and placed it into a window (of a building that we were converting from a house to a commercial location - for our business, which - back then - was brick-and-mortar...and that was the first commercial-zoned place that we actually owned). Buying ONE LESS large piece of plate glass was quite worth the little bit of trouble.

ok...unnecessary rhetoric (above) having been typed, :eyes:

I'm wondering if the Allied Supply "SLIME-AWAY" (much gentler/safer than muriatic, and - also - on hand) might ETCH chrome (not strip) a little bit, so as rattle-can satin-black paint might adhere just a bit better... (??)

...so what say ye, paint, Allied Slime-Away, and metallurgy experts?

bloke's no-explanations-offered (though a combination of practical and just-because) portable stand biases:
stands.png
stands.png (155.79 KiB) Viewed 494 times
bloke "who - over the years - has tried weird things with paint, including a discovery that mixing some opaque designed-to-be-sprayed-from-a-gun enamels spray AND bond better when mixed with GASOLINE (vs. much more expensive paint thinner) ex: shooting black trailers, green/yellow/red farm equipment, etc."

gocsick

Re: encouraging rattle can satin black paint to stick to chrome plating

Post by gocsick »

I would hit it with a solvent to degrease then a self etching primer. The harbor freight stuff is $4 a can and works as well as the expensive stuff from the auto body supply places.
As amateur as they come...I know just enough to be dangerous.

Meinl-Weston 20
Holton Medium Eb 3+1
Holton Collegiate Sousas in Eb and BBb
40s York Bell Front Euphonium
Schiller Elite Euphonium
Yamaha YSL-352 Trombone
Olds Ambassador Trumpet & Cornet
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

thanks!
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

LOL...

After Mrs. bloke found that I had "LOST" my black one...She went and fetched it for me (as she knew where it was, but didn't know that I didn't know)...

...but I STILL would like to have a spare (whether chrome or black).

...so (again) thanks for the advice. Obviously, I don't have powder-coating technology, here.

bloke "I've been getting by with crap fan/American-style wire stands for around a year or so..." :laugh:
Three Valves

Post by Three Valves »

Chicks! :gaah:
Thought Criminal
Mack Brass Artiste
TU422L with TU25
1964 Conn 36k with CB Arnold Jacobs
Accent (By B&S) 952R with Bach12
The Fourth Estate is the Fifth Column
peterbas

Post by peterbas »

These users thanked the author peterbas for the post:
bloke (Mon Sep 09, 2024 5:17 pm)
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

It's really nice for someone to take the time to show me (and the rest of us) some really high-end products for doing some really good work. Those are good things to know for working on a really nice car, and maybe even some other applications for things that really matter. The more I've been thinking about this silly music stand (retreating back from the sublime to the mundane), the more I realize that there are so many moving parts that - unless it was factory powder coated (like my the other one), a lot of surfaces are going to start scraping off pretty quickly (and maybe even with those professional products that you've shown me...??).

Again, thanks. :smilie8:
Someday, I might be completely dug out of "covid debt", and might not have to count nickels and dimes as much. Who knows? :fingerscrossed:
peterbas

Post by peterbas »

27 dollars for a spray can which is also useable as a primer on brass for a lacquer coat.
A bargain.

If you still want cheaper.

https://www.2cheap.nl/notenhouder.html? ... gIp1PD_BwE
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

local thrift store had a black wire stand with adjustable angle desk for $5. I didn't get it because I have about six stands already. I woulda got it if Ida known you needed one. I'll drop by today and look but their stuff turns over quickly because of their good prices.
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

I'm only interested in German made km 101 model stands, because they fold up to nothing and they fold out to a rectangular shape and tilt. Since stands are cheap, I don't cheap out on stands, but I get the cheapest of the expensive ones, because they are also the tiniest.
Luxury would be having one of these on the floor of the back seat in each car we have. I have a pretty good memory, but when it comes to someone telling me to bring a stand, somehow that's hard for me to remember, which is why it's nice to have a stand in every car.