Rudolf Meinl company still manufacturing?

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
Doc

Rudolf Meinl company still manufacturing?

Post by Doc »

I seem to recall some talk about the owner/dad/whoever retiring and things might be changing there with building instruments. Can anyone offer any info?

I’m not buying a new Rudy, but if I won the lotto (if I ever played), a Bayreuth BBb and 3/4 CC would be on my want list.

Welcome to Browntown!
Home of the Brown Note!
bort2.0

Re: Rudolf Meinl company still manufacturing?

Post by bort2.0 »

Paging Lee Stofer....
Lee Stofer

Post by Lee Stofer »

Yes, I am happy to inform you that Rudolf Meinl, Jr. is still very much making instruments in Bavaria, and from the handwerk I've seen and played in recent times, Rudolf Meinl tubas are as good as ever, and maybe better than ever.
My assistant Eric Murphy and I should finish servicing and repairs on a recent 5-rotor 6/4 Rudi BBb tomorrow, which sounds just delicious. BTW, the 6/4 Rudi BBb is the Bayreuth's big brother. We can post photos when it's ready.
Levaix
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Levaix »

Lee Stofer wrote:Yes, I am happy to inform you that Rudolf Meinl, Jr. is still very much making instruments in Bavaria, and from the handwerk I've seen and played in recent times, Rudolf Meinl tubas are as good as ever, and maybe better than ever.
My assistant Eric Murphy and I should finish servicing and repairs on a recent 5-rotor 6/4 Rudi BBb tomorrow, which sounds just delicious. BTW, the 6/4 Rudi BBb is the Bayreuth's big brother. We can post photos when it's ready.
Yes, please do. :mrgreen:
gnimoyw

Post by gnimoyw »

Levaix wrote:
Lee Stofer wrote:Yes, I am happy to inform you that Rudolf Meinl, Jr. is still very much making instruments in Bavaria, and from the handwerk I've seen and played in recent times, Rudolf Meinl tubas are as good as ever, and maybe better than ever.
Yes, please do. :mrgreen:

+1+1+1+1+1 on that idea!
B&S GR-51 BBb
Doc

Post by Doc »

Excellent news!

I’d love to see the photos when you’re finished.

I’ve played the 6/4 BBb that used to reside in Austin, TX. Holy cow... Incredible instrument!
Welcome to Browntown!
Home of the Brown Note!
Robert Tucci
RT Mouthpieces

Rudolf Meinl Sr.

Post by Robert Tucci »

Rudolf Meinl Sr., one of the truly great brasswind instrument makers of the XX. Century, celebrated his 81st birthday on July 25th. I had the pleasure and honor of working with him during the early Seventies. We remain good friends to this day. A photo, his favorite, is attached.

His son, Rudolf Meinl Jr. continues the traditions and techniques that made the brand one of the most highly-respected ever.

Bob Tucci
Attachments
Rudolf Meinl.jpg
Rudolf Meinl.jpg (124.28 KiB) Viewed 1097 times
LeMark
Site Admin

Post by LeMark »

That is an amazing picture.
Yep, I'm Mark
Levaix
Been thanked: 0

Re: Rudolf Meinl Sr.

Post by Levaix »

Robert Tucci wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:26 am Rudolf Meinl Sr., one of the truly great brasswind instrument makers of the XX. Century, celebrated his 81st birthday on July 25th. I had the pleasure and honor of working with him during the early Seventies. We remain good friends to this day. A photo, his favorite, is attached.

His son, Rudolf Meinl Jr. continues the traditions and techniques that made the brand one of the most highly-respected ever.

Bob Tucci
A legend posting about a legend. Good to see you here, Mr. Tucci!
bort2.0

Post by bort2.0 »

I once owned a Rudy 4/4 CC, a really nice tuba. Probably one that I should have kept. The Rudy 3/4 CC that I borrowed one summer was the absolute best tuba I've ever played. Holy cow. If it was for sale back then, I would have bought it and never looked back.

If I win the lottery or somehow inherit a ton of money... I'd custom order the most badass Rudy 4/4 CC ever. I'm not sure how anyone could ever top that amazing tuba that Billy M. has... Truly a work of art! But I'd tell Rudy to try.

As they say, "nobody builds a tuba like Rudy Meinl."
BopEuph

Re: Rudolf Meinl Sr.

Post by BopEuph »

Robert Tucci wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:26 am Rudolf Meinl Sr., one of the truly great brasswind instrument makers of the XX. Century, celebrated his 81st birthday on July 25th. I had the pleasure and honor of working with him during the early Seventies. We remain good friends to this day. A photo, his favorite, is attached.

Bob Tucci
Hi, Bob! Nick here!
Nick
(This horn list more to remind me what I have than to brag)
1984 Conn 12J
1990s Kanstul 900-4B BBb
1924 Holton 122 Sousa
1972 Holton B300 Euph
If you see a Willson 2900, serial W2177, it's been missing for a long time. Help me bring it home.
Rick Denney
Resident Genius

Post by Rick Denney »

Bob, please keep posting. Every sentence you write is a real gem of history and insight.

Rick "an admirer" Denney