American shank in Euro receiver

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
jtuba

American shank in Euro receiver

Post by jtuba »

In the past I’ve used foil tape on American shanks to make it work. Wondering what other types of solutions if any are out there. Thanks

bloke
Mid South Music

Re: American shank in Euro receiver

Post by bloke »

As a fancy-schmancy mouthpiece-designer, that solution (assuming "using THAT mouthpiece") seems as good as any to me, and certainly affordable.
bort2.0

Post by bort2.0 »

Longer-term solutions:
* Have an AGR put on your tuba, so you can use either shank
* Replace the receiver with a Standard receiver
* Replace or re-shank your mouthpiece with a Euro shank

I've got the opposite problem, Euro mouthpiece in a standard receiver.

After thinking through the options, I ended up deciding to just ignore it. :eyes:
These users thanked the author bort2.0 for the post:
BopEuph (Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:50 pm)
Three Valves

Post by Three Valves »

One used to be able to get a metal adapter thingy but I'm not aware of anyone making one presently.

The last being Wessex.

Foil it is!!
Thought Criminal
Mack Brass Artiste
TU422L with TU25
1964 Conn 36k with CB Arnold Jacobs
Accent (By B&S) 952R with Bach12
The Fourth Estate is the Fifth Column
basshorn
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by basshorn »

Dental floss on too small shanks. Shaved down shanks for the oposite. Ignoring it if the difference isn‘t major.

Greetings basshorn
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

AGR's are ok on instruments that feature SOLDER-ON receivers (where a mouthpipe tube ENDS and a receiver STARTS), but is butchery on a mouthpipe with an extruded receiver (shaped into the mouthpipe tube itself - more common: with rotary-valves tubas).
stigma: AGR (often wrongly) hints at "Someone didn't like the way this tuba plays, so they began 'trying' things."

adapters: to adapt a standard to euro WITHOUT the mouthpiece hanging WAY farther out that it otherwise would, the adapter will need to be (well...) just about the very thickness of foil tape. :teeth:

...which is why I thought that Br'er basshorn's solution is just about the best anyone could devise. :smilie8:

"Reshanking" a mouthpiece (as was done by Vladimir at Dillion Music on a lathe...chopping down the mouthpiece shank exterior down to a cylinder. slipping a fitted hollow cylinder of brass over that, soldering it into place, turning it down to a larger shank size) is probably pretty expensive. I certainly wouldn't do that for "cheap"...
...and then - when the euro-receiver tuba is sold 2,4, 6, 8 years later, then what?
These users thanked the author bloke for the post:
UncleBeer (Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:28 pm)
Mark E. Chachich

Post by Mark E. Chachich »

Before my good friend and excellent instrument repairman (now retired) Randy Harrison grafted an Alexander shank onto my Bach 7 mouthpiece, I wrapped the shank with electricians tape, it worked (not as well as what Randy did). Another thing that was suggested to me was to get a metal sleave, put it on the mouthpiece and bore it out.

Best,
Mark
Last edited by Mark E. Chachich on Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Life Member Baltimore Musician's Union Local 40-543
Life Member International Tuba Euphonium Association (ITEA)
Ph.D. Experimental Psychology, Behavioral Neuroscience (a musician can do almost anything!)
Mark E. Chachich

Post by Mark E. Chachich »

Sorry for the double post.

Best,
Mark
[/quote]
Life Member Baltimore Musician's Union Local 40-543
Life Member International Tuba Euphonium Association (ITEA)
Ph.D. Experimental Psychology, Behavioral Neuroscience (a musician can do almost anything!)
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

I suppose the "grit" solution would be to saw 1/4 inch of the back of the mouthpiece, and then ream out the back-bore with a Harbor Freight reamer...

bloke "eek" :facepalm2:
Billy M.

Post by Billy M. »

bloke wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:53 pm AGR's are ok on instruments that feature SOLDER-ON receivers (where a mouthpipe tube ENDS and a receiver STARTS), but is butchery on a mouthpipe with an extruded receiver (shaped into the mouthpipe tube itself - more common: with rotary-valves tubas).
stigma: AGR (often wrongly) hints at "Someone didn't like the way this tuba plays, so they began 'trying' things."
My very nice, very unique, very expensive Rudi Meinl has one of those extruded receivers. I couldn't imagine doing anything as harmful to that horn as lopping off the handiwork of Meister Meinl. Better to spend hundreds (thousands?) of dollars finding the right mouthpiece for the horn than to ruin what I think is a work of art.
Last edited by Billy M. on Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Romans 3:23, 24

B&S MRP-C
Boosey & Hawkes Imperial 19" Eb
Besson New Standard 15" Eb
John Packer 379 FF
bort2.0

Post by bort2.0 »

Billy, the plain ol Rudy RM1 (no dot) absolutely lit up my old Rudy Meinl. Actually, I had an older RM1 that I never should have sold (but did), and that was even better. Didn't need to overthink stuff on that tuba!

Kind of miss that horn, maybe another RM 4/4 wouldn't be a bad idea.

PS, Vladimir retired. Not sure who does this kind of work anymore. Stork...?
pjv

Post by pjv »

Plumbers tape. I use it on...the euro shank of my blokepiece symphony. It hits up against the lead pipe on my Hagen 496 so I use just a bit to tighten the fit. (funny cause the solo and imperial euro shanks don't do this).

I've also used a cut-up ballon which isn't bad in a pinch.