EBay Walter Nirschl CC for 2K... How Can This Be?

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
Worth

EBay Walter Nirschl CC for 2K... How Can This Be?

Post by Worth »

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Walter-Nirschl ... Sw6bpgeows

This Ebay seller has a CC Nirschl Tuba, a Classic Fender Telecaster, and other items, many like the Nirschl for "Buy It Now" $2000. direct "if you do not bid and pay him directly" 100% positive feedback as well. A hacked account or scam maybe? Things that seem too good to be true often are.....

2014 Wisemann 900
2013 Miraphone 188
bloke
Mid South Music

Re: EBay Walter Nirschl CC for 2K... How Can This Be?

Post by bloke »

…and amazingly, he has had those things for sale at those prices over and over and over…
Just think how many people got some wonderful deals...
🙄😬🤔
bort2.0

Post by bort2.0 »

If you really want a Nirschl 4/4, there's one on the other forum. Only $13,500.
Worth

Post by Worth »

A quick way to lose 2K. The post is already down. Preying on others like that, how low and subhuman. Not everyone understands the myriad of modern day scams unfortunately. There should be a special place in hell for this person.
2014 Wisemann 900
2013 Miraphone 188
KingTuba1241X

Post by KingTuba1241X »

Worth wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:00 am A quick way to lose 2K. The post is already down. Preying on others like that, how low and subhuman. Not everyone understands the myriad of modern day scams unfortunately. There should be a special place in hell for this person.
I posted about this scammer in the "Lounge" here a couple weeks back. He steals between 3-4 eBay accounts each weekend (only posts these scam auctions on weekends). He puts up 10-20 auctions of the same horns over and over. Just report them each time you seen them and make him work. When he runs out of stolen accounts to list with he quits until the following week. I just can't for the life of me understand how in this day and age eBay "police" can't trace the guy's IP or MAC address or figure out his location from the ISP and bust him once and for all. This has been going on for at least 3 years from what I've seen, maybe longer. It needs to stop.
06' Miraphone 187-4U
Worth

Post by Worth »

Thanks for this info, I did not realize it was discussed in the lounge as I never make it there during my daily social media rounds. Good weekend to all
:tuba:
2014 Wisemann 900
2013 Miraphone 188
hrender

Post by hrender »

Yeah it’s a periodic occurrence. I usually report a half dozen of the ads before they get pulled. He uses a stock list of photos with the only difference being the particular text he uses and the list price. It’s usually listed at something like $1.11 or $3.34, so they stand out.
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

What I don't get is how is it so easy to hack ebay accounts that he can continue to do this? Is he an insider?
hrender

Post by hrender »

Any mass user system depends on individuals' discipline to keep their accounts safe, i.e. use complex passwords, change passwords regularly, use 2FA where possible, monitor activity, etc. Also, eBay is an old system, so if you have an account created 25 years ago, you can miss updates to the security protocols. If you don't keep up with updated security protocols, this opens the door for people wishing to steal an account. All it takes is someone whose account has effectively gone dormant to invite attention from account thieves. That's why it's a good idea to either keep up with the security improvements or deactivate your account entirely when you no longer expect to use it.

Even with mass user systems where the user base is relatively active (i.e. FB) and updated security protocols are publicized, account theft is fairly common. I'm always getting messages from friends and family on FB telling me not to accept new "Friend" requests from them. I've had two in the last week.
KingTuba1241X

Post by KingTuba1241X »

I don't understand this person's premise for doing these fraudulent auctions. Not like he can transfer money out of the account or PayPal of the stolen account, should the auctions ever even close and the item is paid for. So he's not gaining anything from listing these over and over. And for 3+ years every single weekend, what's the point?
06' Miraphone 187-4U
Worth

Post by Worth »

I bet some folks are so naive that they send him money directly somehow for the "great deal." The ins and outs of how, for the thief, to accomplish this and actually secure the money are beyond me, but it must be worth his or her while to keep hacking accounts and posting items.
2014 Wisemann 900
2013 Miraphone 188
KingTuba1241X

Post by KingTuba1241X »

Worth wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:17 pm I bet some folks are so naive that they send him money directly somehow for the "great deal." The ins and outs of how, for the thief, to accomplish this and actually secure the money are beyond me, but it must be worth his or her while to keep hacking accounts and posting items.
Maybe. But they are tubas. Who would ever send money to a stranger like that and not get suspicious a little? I could see if it was another medium like Craigslist and the product was some type of popular electronic device, maybe..but tubas? Those descriptions are hilariously suspicious even to the non discriminating eye. It does make you think he's making something somehow though.
06' Miraphone 187-4U
LargeTuba

Post by LargeTuba »

Sometimes I bid super high on these actions...

Maybe to piss of the seller, who specifically says not to bid. Or maybe to annoy the person who thought they were getting a Nirchl for $0.99 :teeth:

It all gets removed at the end of the day anyways.
Pt-6P, Holton 345 CC, 45slp