BATs

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
tobysima`

BATs

Post by tobysima` »

So curiosity has gotten the better of me: after viewing a few YouTube videos and seeing the ad for the 6/4 Rudolf Meinl on Baltimore Brass (22" Bell, WOW!!!), I've come to wonder: What are the biggest CC or BBb tubas ever made? What do they sound like?

Toby Simard
M&M 5V CC Tuba - Bach 18
Mack EU1150S - SM2U
Three Valves

Re: BATs

Post by Three Valves »

That Rudy at BB is huge!! :tuba:

But I didn’t play it.

I’m a tire kicker but I don’t push my luck. :red:
Thought Criminal
Mack Brass Artiste
TU422L with TU25
1964 Conn 36k with CB Arnold Jacobs
Accent (By B&S) 952R with Bach12
The Fourth Estate is the Fifth Column
tobysima`

Post by tobysima` »

Three Valves wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 5:20 pm That Rudy at BB is huge!! :tuba:

But I didn’t play it.

I’m a tire kicker but I don’t push my luck. :red:
I'm a simple minded fella - big = cool and I must try it!
Toby Simard
M&M 5V CC Tuba - Bach 18
Mack EU1150S - SM2U
matt g

Post by matt g »

Most people report that the 6/4 Rudy is quite easy to play despite its size.

I’m pretty sure it’s the biggest horn currently “in production”, insofar that production means they will make one of you provide them a deposit.

Pretty much the remainder of the 6/4 genre is a copy of one of two horns. The one departure for a while was the 2165, which is more of copy of the Holton 345. I’m not sure where the current Meinl Weston variant lies, but I think it’s a bit smaller.
Dillon/Walters CC (sold)
Meinl-Weston 2165 (sold)
kingrob76

Post by kingrob76 »

According to David Fedderly, RM only made 3 of those 6/4 BBb horns, and that's one of them. It's REALLY good, and I don't care for BBb tubas all that much. Were I in the market for a legit monster-sized horn and didn't mind BBb tuba this would definitely get very strong consideration from me.
Rob. Just Rob.
grayax
Has thanked: 0

Post by grayax »

I had the opportunity to play it last January. I had just spent a good deal of time on an Eastman 534 play testing for a new, larger mouthpiece. I played the Rudy after that. Aside from having to sit up as tall as I could to play it (I'm only 5'6"), the top end of it was fantastic. I could get the 4 line Bb without too much effort. I couldn't get lower than a low F because there just wasn't enough resistance for me, especially on a new, bigger mouthpiece. Great horn and it could certainly put out all the sound you would likely ever need, but I have no need for something that big and expensive.
tobysima`

Post by tobysima` »

kingrob76 wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:54 pm According to David Fedderly, RM only made 3 of those 6/4 BBb horns, and that's one of them. It's REALLY good, and I don't care for BBb tubas all that much. Were I in the market for a legit monster-sized horn and didn't mind BBb tuba this would definitely get very strong consideration from me.
They only made three? Some guy who posted a couple YouTube videos owns a 5 valved one, and the one on Baltimore Brass is 4 valved.
Toby Simard
M&M 5V CC Tuba - Bach 18
Mack EU1150S - SM2U
tobysima`

Post by tobysima` »

grayax wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:16 pm I had the opportunity to play it last January. I had just spent a good deal of time on an Eastman 534 play testing for a new, larger mouthpiece. I played the Rudy after that. Aside from having to sit up as tall as I could to play it (I'm only 5'6"), the top end of it was fantastic. I could get the 4 line Bb without too much effort. I couldn't get lower than a low F because there just wasn't enough resistance for me, especially on a new, bigger mouthpiece. Great horn and it could certainly put out all the sound you would likely ever need, but I have no need for something that big and expensive.
I definitely want to at least play it one day!
Toby Simard
M&M 5V CC Tuba - Bach 18
Mack EU1150S - SM2U
tobysima`

Post by tobysima` »

matt g wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:25 pm Most people report that the 6/4 Rudy is quite easy to play despite its size.

I’m pretty sure it’s the biggest horn currently “in production”, insofar that production means they will make one of you provide them a deposit.

Pretty much the remainder of the 6/4 genre is a copy of one of two horns. The one departure for a while was the 2165, which is more of copy of the Holton 345. I’m not sure where the current Meinl Weston variant lies, but I think it’s a bit smaller.
As in the 197 and the Wessex Kaiser??
Toby Simard
M&M 5V CC Tuba - Bach 18
Mack EU1150S - SM2U
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

I suppose I'm quibbling tonight (and with people I "like" very much), but my observation is that the BMB (if 4-valve, and if BB-flat) is probably closer to a Holton 345 copy than anything.

I have seen a picture of one Meinl-Weston-built PRE-216(4) prototype (according to the person who posted the picture) tuba which featured four loops in its bugle (as does the Holton), but the production model 2165 features only three loops, which is why the upper inner bow is positioned so high, and the main slide sits so low.

As far as the FOUR-loop Meinl-Weston (built in C) 216(4) prototype is concerned...I believe (??) Mr. Olka owned it for a while, and sold it roughly fifteen years ago.
Kontrabasstuba

Post by Kontrabasstuba »

kingrob76 wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:54 pm According to David Fedderly, RM only made 3 of those 6/4 BBb horns, and that's one of them. It's REALLY good, and I don't care for BBb tubas all that much. Were I in the market for a legit monster-sized horn and didn't mind BBb tuba this would definitely get very strong consideration from me.

That's not true. Rudi Meinl made much more of only 3 6/4 BBb. I have seen defently more than 3 here in Europe
These users thanked the author Kontrabasstuba for the post:
Username (Sat Feb 11, 2023 7:39 pm)
tobysima`

Post by tobysima` »

bloke wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:45 pm I suppose I'm quibbling tonight (and with people I "like" very much), but my observation is that the BMB (if 4-valve, and if BB-flat) is probably closer to a Holton 345 copy than anything.

I have seen a picture of one Meinl-Weston-built PRE-216(4) prototype (according to the person who posted the picture) tuba which featured four loops in its bugle (as does the Holton), but the production model 2165 features only three loops, which is why the upper inner bow is positioned so high, and the main slide sits so low.

As far as the FOUR-loop Meinl-Weston (built in C) 216(4) prototype is concerned...I believe (??) Mr. Olka owned it for a while, and sold it roughly fifteen years ago.
BMB has almost no online presence, so I didn't really know about them. Do they still make tubas?
Toby Simard
M&M 5V CC Tuba - Bach 18
Mack EU1150S - SM2U
tobysima`

Post by tobysima` »

Kontrabasstuba wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:39 am

That's not true. Rudi Meinl made much more of only 3 6/4 BBb. I have seen defently more than 3 here in Europe
Maybe he means they initially made three? I was thinking the same thing. They'd be owned by the richest tuba players if there were only three. lol :laugh:
Toby Simard
M&M 5V CC Tuba - Bach 18
Mack EU1150S - SM2U
matt g

Post by matt g »

bloke wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:45 pm I suppose I'm quibbling tonight (and with people I "like" very much), but my observation is that the BMB (if 4-valve, and if BB-flat) is probably closer to a Holton 345 copy than anything.

The BMB is “inspired by” a Rusk-cut Holton?
Dillon/Walters CC (sold)
Meinl-Weston 2165 (sold)
matt g

Post by matt g »

tobysima` wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:33 pm
matt g wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:25 pm Most people report that the 6/4 Rudy is quite easy to play despite its size.

I forget about the Kaiser Tuba copies. But they are all smaller than the Rudy.
Dillon/Walters CC (sold)
Meinl-Weston 2165 (sold)
tobysima`

Post by tobysima` »

matt g wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:57 am
tobysima` wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:33 pm

I forget about the Kaiser Tuba copies. But they are all smaller than the Rudy.
So you mean the Baer by Meinl Weston? Or the Warren Deck tubas?
Toby Simard
M&M 5V CC Tuba - Bach 18
Mack EU1150S - SM2U
jonesbrass

Post by jonesbrass »

I was fortunate to try a Rudy 6/4 BBb at his shop in the mid 90s. The one I played sounded wonderful, was reasonably in tune, but was an air hog. Felt like it was sucking out my will to live.
Willson 3050S CC, Willson 3200S F, B&S PT-10, BMB 6/4 CC, Yamaclone JFF-303
matt g

Post by matt g »

@tobysima`, I believe that the evolution from the 2165 to the current Baer has included some minor reduction in size of some of the components.
Dillon/Walters CC (sold)
Meinl-Weston 2165 (sold)
kingrob76

Post by kingrob76 »

Kontrabasstuba wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:39 am

I believe the one at Baltimore Brass is completely hand-made, which may explain it's uniqueness.
These users thanked the author kingrob76 for the post:
Kontrabasstuba (Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:24 am)
Rob. Just Rob.
bort2.0

Post by bort2.0 »

All Rudy's are comoletely handmade. Maybe there are only 3 in the US?

@Lee Stofer -- Educate us on the Rudolf Meinl 6/4 BBb, please!