What is the Best EEb?

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
donn

Re: What is the Best EEb?

Post by donn »

If I were looking for a bass tuba of modest size, Kalison made a real small F tuba back in the '80s. With pistons - which I bet makes no difference at all, beyond the obvious. Of course it would be mighty hard to find one. It was smaller than the typical F tuba - a real bass tuba.
These users thanked the author donn for the post:
bloke (Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:38 am)

ole_irgens

Post by ole_irgens »

Being a norwegian, my answer should be "Norwegian star", but I have never played one, so I would not know. However, the maker/inspirator of this fine instrument, Øystein Baadsvik, is a great teacher and inspirator, and his classes and master classes are great, even for seasoned tubists, I should think.

My favourite Eb-tuba that I have played is a Yamaha 3+1 YEB 632 Maestro compensated tuba which I acquired from the UK and was foolish enough to sell five years ago. This was truly a great instrument, and perfect for brass band playing or a small ensemble. IMHO of better quality than the british counterparts from Besson et al.
These users thanked the author ole_irgens for the post:
bloke (Thu Sep 02, 2021 7:16 am)
--
Ole Irgens
JP379CC Sterling
Besson Sovereign Eb
Principal tuba, Alvøen Concert Band
Eb tuba, Laksevåg Brass Band
Bergen, Norway
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

If you ever stumble across the original (shelved) Yamaha model 631, you might (??) like it even better.
I definitely like the 31 better (much better) than the 32.
My nearly 65-years-ago English-made 3+1 E-flat has special features which particularly suit my purposes, but - were it that I didn't have that instrument - I would probably have kept one of the 631's that have passed through my shop, over the years.
I can't possibly know whether I only like it better because of the smaller bell, or also for other unknown-to-me design characteristics as well.
ole_irgens wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 4:36 am Being a norwegian, my answer should be "Norwegian star", but I have never played one, so I would not know. However, the maker/inspirator of this fine instrument, Øystein Baadsvik, is a great teacher and inspirator, and his classes and master classes are great, even for seasoned tubists, I should think.

My favourite Eb-tuba that I have played is a Yamaha 3+1 YEB 632 Maestro compensated tuba which I acquired from the UK and was foolish enough to sell five years ago. This was truly a great instrument, and perfect for brass band playing or a small ensemble. IMHO of better quality than the british counterparts from Besson et al.
YorkNumber3.0

Post by YorkNumber3.0 »

Last edited by YorkNumber3.0 on Mon Aug 28, 2023 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Welcome to Browntown!
Home of the Brown Note!
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

I was finally able to play one of those a few years ago. I wouldn’t wish to own one, but - of all the piston F tubas, it is NOT the worst…not al all. 😐
donn wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 11:52 pm If I were looking for a bass tuba of modest size, Kalison made a real small F tuba back in the '80s. With pistons - which I bet makes no difference at all, beyond the obvious. Of course it would be mighty hard to find one. It was smaller than the typical F tuba - a real bass tuba.
donn

Post by donn »

bloke wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:41 am of all the piston F tubas, it is NOT the worst
That's kind of a foregone conclusion, isn't it? I would sure expect the world's worst 1st world piston F tuba to be some 6/4 thing.

Or some kind of pocket F tuba gimmick, but those are usually dismissed as exceptions that aren't expected to meet the standards of larger category, while 6/4 F tubas don't get that handicap.
LeMark
Site Admin

Post by LeMark »

hmmm.. My favorite F I've ever played was the Kurath, and if any horn could be described as a 6/4, it's that one.
These users thanked the author LeMark for the post:
bloke (Sat Sep 04, 2021 3:31 pm)
Yep, I'm Mark
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

Those are fun to blow through make sounds, and rattle the walls.
Getting past all of that - and down to the nitty-gritty, those present me with challenges. I’m glad to sell them to others who love them.
LeMark wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 10:20 am hmmm.. My favorite F I've ever played was the Kurath, and if any horn could be described as a 6/4, it's that one.
donn

Post by donn »

Yep. Who could love a "normal" size bass tuba as much as a quasi-contrabass? The dream lives on. There's a reason we are tuba players. I'm no different, my Eb is plenty big.
JRaymo

Post by JRaymo »

I originally bought my Willson 3400 as a bass tuba. Life happened. Sept 11th job loss/change, Marriage, Kids. Decided to go to one tuba and sold my CC. I only really regret ever selling a vintage King Eb sousaphone I had years ago. Hopefully the timing will be right and I can own another one someday. The 3400 for a recreational no longer serious player at least for me is fine but I supposed anyone more focused on orchestral or very large groups would want a contrabass. I have never regretted switching to only Eb.
TubātōTubŏtō

Post by TubātōTubŏtō »

I’m pretty new to playing Eb, but played several leading up to my recent horn purchase, including a Wessex Gnagey, Cavalry, and Champion, and a very good English built example of a Besson 983. I’ve also played next to a very good player in a band setting who used a Willson 3400(which I found bland, sound wise, but otherwise impressive.) Of the horns I played, the Eastman 853 I bought stacked up extremely well in terms of easy pitch, a shockingly clear, facile low register(even the E natural!) and it seems to throw a disproportionate amount of sound compared to the others. It’s also a clearer, more throaty sound. Reminds me of a small CC. One vote for the Eastman.
teditiks
Been thanked: 0

Post by teditiks »

LeMark wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:00 pm WIllson 3400s
Miraphone Norwegian Star (is that an EEb or just an Eb?)
Besson 984
and the Packer 377 if you don't mind 3+1
A question for you @LeMark and @Doc that has tested the new Wessex Tubby. How does it stack up to a 983, NS or a 2040? Worth considering for a do-it-all Eeb tuba?

Best regards
Tedi
LeMark
Site Admin

Post by LeMark »

I found it a little stuffy in the low register, but so far I'm the only person I've heard say that

It's a bigger sound than the other horns you mentioned, so as a replacement for a CC, it would be a worthy candidate
These users thanked the author LeMark for the post (total 2):
teditiks (Tue Oct 05, 2021 5:21 am) • Steve Inman (Sun Dec 04, 2022 3:33 pm)
Yep, I'm Mark
GC

Post by GC »

Can't say it's the best EEb tuba ever, but I'm very happy with my Packer/Sterling JP377. Excellent tone, ridiculous low register. Valves are super-tight and require serious break-in. Very solidly built.
Packer/Sterling JP377 compensating Eb; Mercer & Barker MBUZ5 (Tim Buzbee "Lone ☆ Star" F-tuba mouthpiece), Mercer & Barker MB3; for sale: Conn Monster Eb 1914, Fillmore Bros 1/4 Eb ca. 1905 antique (still plays), Bach 42B trombone
Doc

Post by Doc »

teditiks wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 1:41 am
LeMark wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:00 pm WIllson 3400s
Miraphone Norwegian Star (is that an EEb or just an Eb?)
Besson 984
and the Packer 377 if you don't mind 3+1
A question for you @LeMark and @Doc that has tested the new Wessex Tubby. How does it stack up to a 983, NS or a 2040? Worth considering for a do-it-all Eeb tuba?

Best regards
Tedi
It plays bigger than all three. A British made 983 is a pretty darned nice Eb. The NS is a fine offering from Miraphone with wonderful valves and solid intonation. The 2040 plays pretty easy and has a full, darker sound, but, at least to me, the intonation is not the best of the three.

The Tubby is bigger, darker, fuller, and seemingly more resonant than the others with very respectable intonation. I thought the low range was really good. The sound is deeper/broader/warmer than the typical Eb. It really is comparing apes to oranges, as the Tubby is a bit of a different beast. I might not select it as a solo tuba, although it seemed pretty agile. I have been considering a JP 377 for a while (which is a really nice Eb). If I wasn’t set on the British Eb idea, and I didn’t already have a CC, the Tubby would be an easy choice.
These users thanked the author Doc for the post:
teditiks (Wed Oct 06, 2021 6:04 am)
Welcome to Browntown!
Home of the Brown Note!
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

It would be easy for me to be accused of promoting 3+1 compensating E flat tubas, because those are the easiest ones for me to sell…
…but I just haven’t encountered too many others that I like to play, as so many seem to offer wonky intonation.
(The big rotary Miraphone is darn nice - but darn expensive, and the heavy piston Willson is great, but not particularly great sounding - to me.)
==========
Were it that I limited myself to “rotary“, “front action“, “piston“, “B-flat“ (etc.), or any other length or configuration limitation, I would not have some really amazing instruments that I do have.
My only personal limitation tends to be “good“.
My instruments are every configuration imaginable, and in all four of the common lengths…(five, if “9 feet long” is also included).

It is probably millions of times easier to master playing a tuba with a particular length and configuration than to “sort of” learn another language, and endless millions of people learn to speak and read multiple languages. (it’s also possible to learn how to play most any F tuba just below the staff, but - to do that - the player needs to play the F tuba in the way that an F tuba must be played, rather than trying to play it like a contrabass tuba… and the F tubas - which seem to offer the best intonation - are also those which require that they be played like F tubas.)
These users thanked the author bloke for the post:
Doc (Wed Oct 06, 2021 8:42 am)
peterbas

Post by peterbas »

Last edited by peterbas on Sun Feb 20, 2022 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LargeTuba

Post by LargeTuba »

I just bought a Yamaha YEB321 for very cheap. It is the best Eb tuba I've ever played.

I'm very happy with my purchase!
Pt-6P, Holton 345 CC, 45slp