Olds O-99

For posting interesting and remarkable deals found on the internet.
dreamofoenghus
Has thanked: 0

Olds O-99

Post by dreamofoenghus »

Ok, I’m asking the jury for a verdict…I know, I know, ask and ye shall receive. But seriously, I’m kinda looking for something like this, a smallish BBb that still has a real tuba sound in the lower register, lightweight, so forth. Old man tuba, so to speak, though I’m not old enough yet. More like herniated disc man tuba. So, thoughts on this model overall and this particular one listed? I thought it’s a little pricey, but looks pretty good for an O-99, as many are beat up old school tubas.

Experience and insight welcome, smarta$$ comments also considered 😁.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/363543378945?h ... ition=3000

matt g

Re: Olds O-99

Post by matt g »

It’s a quite capable smaller tuba. Price might be a little high, but it looks to be in quite good condition.
Dillon/Walters CC (sold)
Meinl-Weston 2165 (sold)
York-aholic

Post by York-aholic »

Perhaps ask for the weight of the horn. I had a Conn 5j here. Although it was smaller than any of the BBb horns here, it was a lot heavier than I expected it to be. Very ‘dense’. I was quite surprised.
Some old Yorks, Martins, and perhaps a King rotary valved CC
bort2.0

Post by bort2.0 »

This seller is known for selling quality instruments on eBay, for prices that are not "bad", but certainly not "bargains" either.

These are good tubas and fit your description well. I've never seen a time capsule O-99 before, so that's pretty neat. I'm not sure I can say it's worth that much to me, but if you wanted the best looking O-99 around, this is about your one and only option.
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

4-valve 4/4 tubas aren't much lighter weight than larger 4-valve tubas.

The 4th circuit and 4th valve add CONSIDERABLE weight to a tuba.

Consider keeping what you have, finding one of those bags-with-wheels or one of those collapsible things that your current bag fits in, and devise a way to work the instrument into your lap without back strain.

Even a Holton 345 B-flat does NOT weigh 30 pounds (unlike claims, more like 28 lbs.), and many smaller-in-over-all-real-estate tubas still weigh at least 25 lbs. I might wager that an Olds O-99-4 still weighs 22 - 23 lbs...and they are not "thin-walled" tubas.
greenbean
Damn good stuff

Post by greenbean »

I have played a couple of these. Nice horns. I remember them being "not especially heavy." If I had to guess, I would say 20-21 lb.

Tom Rice
www.superfinecases.com
Currently playing...
1973 Mirafone 184 BBb
1972 Böhm & Meinl Marzan BBb
ParLawGod
Site Admin

Post by ParLawGod »

I had an Olds O-99-4 a few years back (mentioned on several ocassions that I regret selling it). Had the third tuning slide shortened so it would play better in tune. After that was one of the better BBb tubas I've played in regards to pitch.

Overpriced, but if someone were local (wouldn't have to pay shipping) and they'd knock a little off...could be had at a okay price. Don't see them in this condition too much anymore!
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

Before anyone else claims "over-priced", please realize what your rulers are busily doing to the value of your dollars.

The value of tubas remain (roughly) the same.

It's your dollars which are quickly becoming worthless.
These users thanked the author bloke for the post:
Doc (Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:57 am)
ParLawGod
Site Admin

Post by ParLawGod »

I also remember someone telling me once..."it's worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it."
These users thanked the author ParLawGod for the post (total 3):
MN_TimTuba (Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:41 am) • prairieboy1 (Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:13 pm) • the elephant (Thu Sep 16, 2021 5:29 pm)
dreamofoenghus

Post by dreamofoenghus »

Thanks for all the feedback. I did talk with them, and they weighed the horn alone and with the case. Horn weighed 18.8 lbs, and in the case was 40 lbs. I thought that was pretty good for my particular situation. I can always get a decent bag to go with it to lighten the load for transport. I suspect someone around here could help out with that. 😁
The Big Ben

Post by The Big Ben »

I have one of these and really like it. I carry mine in a bag but it is light enough to carry by the handle (not the backpack) everywhere I needed to carry it without problem. I carry it in the back seat of my Toyota Corolla (2015) without problem.

Price? Dunno. Mine was a roach which I had fixed up. Have way too much money in it but It will be sold by someone after I die so I don't care about resale price. Probably should have gotten a better one but "too soon old, too late smart". I would compare the Olds with something like a Miraphone 184 BBb or any one of a number if 3/4 size BBb tubas. The price is probably less that any of those horns and certainly less that any other new 3/4 BBb,

The only "scar" on it appears the damage to the lacquer on the bell rim. I'm guessing that a repair tech could buff that out and put a shot of lacquer on it to match. And that one small dent. That is a good looking horn.
bort2.0

Post by bort2.0 »

dreamofoenghus wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 5:26 am Thanks for all the feedback. I did talk with them, and they weighed the horn alone and with the case. Horn weighed 18.8 lbs, and in the case was 40 lbs. I thought that was pretty good for my particular situation. I can always get a decent bag to go with it to lighten the load for transport. I suspect someone around here could help out with that. 😁
Wait, I'm confused? You bought it?

Don't you know the TubaForum way is to overanalyze to the point of exhaustion, then analyze more, then STILL not buy it, and then ask again, and then...

Oh, that's just me. :)

Let us know how it is when you get it! Congrats! :)
These users thanked the author bort2.0 for the post:
nc_amateur_euph (Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:38 am)
prairieboy1

Post by prairieboy1 »

bort2.0 wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 1:52 pm
dreamofoenghus wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 5:26 am Thanks for all the feedback. I did talk with them, and they weighed the horn alone and with the case. Horn weighed 18.8 lbs, and in the case was 40 lbs. I thought that was pretty good for my particular situation. I can always get a decent bag to go with it to lighten the load for transport. I suspect someone around here could help out with that. 😁

Don't you know the TubaForum way is to overanalyze to the point of exhaustion, then analyze more, then STILL not buy it, and then ask again, and then...

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
1916 Holton "Mammoth" 3 valve BBb Upright Bell Tuba
1935 King "Symphony" Bass 3 valve BBb Tuba
1998 King "2341" 4 valve BBb Tuba
1970 Yamaha "321" 4 valve BBb Tuba (Yard Goat)
prairieboy1

Post by prairieboy1 »

prairieboy1 wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:35 pm

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Bort, You're not the only one!
1916 Holton "Mammoth" 3 valve BBb Upright Bell Tuba
1935 King "Symphony" Bass 3 valve BBb Tuba
1998 King "2341" 4 valve BBb Tuba
1970 Yamaha "321" 4 valve BBb Tuba (Yard Goat)
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

I’m surprised that one of those only weighs 20 pounds (w/mpc.)
These users thanked the author bloke for the post:
York-aholic (Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:15 am)
dreamofoenghus

Post by dreamofoenghus »

Well, yeah, I know that’s the way. But I did factor in all the input here along with previous discussions about said model. I guess you could say it was an impulse buy, but I did talk with them about the horn, the tech there said exactly what had been done, and I negotiated the price down enough that I thought it was reasonable. And they do have a return policy, should it just not work out. I was afraid that it would get snapped up if I sat on my hands, being that it was in that good of shape. And then the regrets would follow. Thanks again for the responses, and for the forum and it’s contributors. You all are great resources.
dreamofoenghus

Post by dreamofoenghus »

bloke wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 5:18 pm I’m surprised that one of those only weighs 20 pounds (w/mpc.)
Me too, honestly, but they actually pulled it out and weighed it per request and called me right back with the measures. Sure, I’m taking their word, but it’s all I have to go on.
These users thanked the author dreamofoenghus for the post:
York-aholic (Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:15 am)
Doc

Post by Doc »

@dreamofoenghus
Please let us see it and hear it once you receive it!

@bort2.0
There is nothing inherently wrong with an abundance of research preceding a serious outlay of cash. Measure twice, cut once.

You know how I am about such things.
Welcome to Browntown!
Home of the Brown Note!
donn

Post by donn »

It's so new looking I barely recognize it. Other people have reported the same weight. I never weighed mine, that I remember, but it only had 3 valves anyway. They're lighter when they don't have a lot of "distilled water" in them from being played.

It might be interesting to stand it up and put a bucket of water down the bell, to see if any leaks out of the bottom bow dents.
These users thanked the author donn for the post:
bloke (Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:43 am)
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

donn wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:53 am It's so new looking I barely recognize it. Other people have reported the same weight. I never weighed mine, that I remember, but it only had 3 valves anyway. They're lighter when they don't have a lot of "distilled water" in them from being played.

It might be interesting to stand it up and put a bucket of water down the bell, to see if any leaks out of the bottom bow dents.
You should use what we fesshunul tecknishunz use: