Always high

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
humBell

Re: Always high

Post by humBell »

@Erik_Sweden Any of this useful?

"All art is one." -Hal
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

Three Valves wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:39 pm IF I am buzzing in tune I am making the that buzz by flapping my lips together.

BUT, the tuba resonates sound by an air column that is not produced by an actual buzz/flapping.

Someone is lying… :popcorn:
I could have some fun discussing this....yeah I've seen the demo of the guy with a torch "playing" a glass tube. No buzz, but....vibration for sure, just not from a buzz. My change in playing (and improvement in tone production and endurance) was brought about by finding an embouchure setting that was much more air and much less chops....someone in the horn community once said "it's the size of the hole in your face" and especially on horn that really applies. Tuba, we can actually see lips flapping in some of those neat videos through transparent mouthpieces. And....I think there are successful players who have a pretty wide range of how they do it. Vibration can be brought about many ways, I'd think.
donn

Post by donn »

Mary Ann wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:47 pm Tuba, we can actually see lips flapping in some of those neat videos through transparent mouthpieces.
Right, but ... it really shouldn't be necessary to say this, but the vibrations are in no way produced by the impact of the lips as they come together. They come together as they vibrate, to modulate the air flowing through them.

I'm not sure what that quote was driving at, but I don't think it related so much to the mechanics of tone generation, as the question of how the tone generator (lips) and its amplifier (horn) could be pitched differently.
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

In my many decades, I’ve learned that people - who believe absurd things - will believe many more absurd things. 🤣
These users thanked the author bloke for the post:
Three Valves (Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:55 pm)
peterbas

Post by peterbas »

Last edited by peterbas on Sun Feb 20, 2022 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
peterbas

Post by peterbas »

Last edited by peterbas on Sun Feb 20, 2022 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

I know for a fact that I used to be guilty of often playing a little bit sharp, just as are most freshman college students (who get big pats on the back, because they play “well - for a tuba player”) - when playing solos with a piano.

Over the years, I’ve learned to listen to everything, rather than just listening to myself.
It takes more diverse thinking to do that…along with all the other things that we are trying to do while we’re playing in an ensemble.

I still have to keep after myself… 😐
Doc

Post by Doc »

bloke wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:02 am I know for a fact that I used to be guilty of often playing a little bit sharp, just as are most freshman college students (who get big pats on the back, because they play “well - for a tuba player”) - when playing solos with a piano.

Over the years, I’ve learned to listen to everything, rather than just listening to myself.
It takes more diverse thinking to do that…along with all the other things that we are trying to do while we’re playing in an ensemble.

I still have to keep after myself… 😐
I find that when playing outside (where it's harder to hear yourself), my tendency is to play on the high side. Maybe in an unconscious attempt to hear myself???
Welcome to Browntown!
Home of the Brown Note!
Three Valves

Post by Three Valves »

Doc wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:33 pm
Three Valves wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:19 pm
"Always High"
I've seen those people...
Me. 1979 to 1986 :red:

I've cut it back to 7pm Friday to 8am Sunday!! :smilie2:
These users thanked the author Three Valves for the post:
Doc (Fri Oct 15, 2021 2:54 pm)
Thought Criminal
Mack Brass Artiste
TU422L with TU25
1964 Conn 36k with CB Arnold Jacobs
Accent (By B&S) 952R with Bach12
The Fourth Estate is the Fifth Column
Erik_Sweden

Post by Erik_Sweden »

Hi all and thx for your reply.
I have since I wrote this tread meet a tuba teacher. First thing he noticed was that I am always bended max high on all tones, instead of somewhere in the middle. It turned out that my chin was to long out, so when pulling the chin in I was also able to bend down the tone and be more in pitch. Also I lack core in the tone (much overtones, little core tone).
This is where I am right now. I will right now go to practice room and test the tuner-in-ear thingy.

/Erik
These users thanked the author Erik_Sweden for the post (total 2):
Three Valves (Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:57 am) • the elephant (Sat Oct 16, 2021 1:45 pm)
Miraphone Hagen 497
donn

Post by donn »

Cool! It's always great to hear about technique improvements that work!
Erik_Sweden

Post by Erik_Sweden »

A side note to this thread, I got some PM, and when I answer I see that what I wrote is in Out-box, and it's hours since I wrote the answer, why?
Is there some issue preventing me from sending mails?
Miraphone Hagen 497
donn

Post by donn »

I could be wrong, not being a regular user of that feature, but I think it will stay there until the recipient opens it.
These users thanked the author donn for the post:
Erik_Sweden (Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:43 am)
Erik_Sweden

Post by Erik_Sweden »

donn wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:33 am I could be wrong, not being a regular user of that feature, but I think it will stay there until the recipient opens it.
Thx Donn
Miraphone Hagen 497