no excuses euphonium

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
Alex C

no excuses euphonium

Post by Alex C »

Okay euphonium players, no more excuses for not practicing. Finally are REAL travel euphonium for a moderate price. It's new so it may not be at your local retailer's store yet but Christmas is coming.

Follow the link and scroll down a bit for the hop arrangement of Saints played on this fabulous... thing.

https://www.nuvoinstrumental.com/products/jhorn/

Mary Ann

Re: no excuses euphonium

Post by Mary Ann »

I think it is actually a fabulous idea for little kids. If it were in F instead of Bb I'd get one for a friend who is having trouble with high range on trumpet but would easily play the horn range; but he doesn't want to learn new fingerings.
I have to assume those were competent players....sounds like the thing has wide slots and of course a less able player would be even more blatty. But great for little kids.
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

flat 5th partial, but it does make a good loud noise.

iiipopes

Post by iiipopes »

Mary Ann wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:58 am I think it is actually a fabulous idea for little kids. If it were in F instead of Bb I'd get one for a friend who is having trouble with high range on trumpet but would easily play the horn range; but he doesn't want to learn new fingerings.
I have to assume those were competent players....sounds like the thing has wide slots and of course a less able player would be even more blatty. But great for little kids.
The school band directors I played under never switched a person from trumpet to french horn; instead they switched them to treble clef transposed notation euph/bari.

Hmm. The "C" set of slides for concert pitch might come in handy, especially in this season, so a player who plays treble clef notation doesn't have to transpose or have transposed for them concert pitch music, for example, piano, hymnals, etc., in a similar manner that trumpet players tend to use C trumpets for such rather than transposing for a Bb concert band instrument.
Jupiter JTU1110
"Real" Conn 36K
Klier 4B Classic
tubanh84

Post by tubanh84 »

This appears to be a handy solution to an ever-present problem: A handy, portable third instrument to bring to auditions to play Bydlo if asked.

It's an appropriately serious response to a request to play Bydlo at an audition.
These users thanked the author tubanh84 for the post:
Mary Ann (Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:04 pm)
bort2.0

Post by bort2.0 »

$130 on Amazon
iiipopes

Post by iiipopes »

I'm waiting on post-Christmas clearance.
Jupiter JTU1110
"Real" Conn 36K
Klier 4B Classic
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

tubanh84 wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:37 am This appears to be a handy solution to an ever-present problem: A handy, portable third instrument to bring to auditions to play Bydlo if asked.

It's an appropriately serious response to a request to play Bydlo at an audition.
yeah, darn it...That happens to me ALL the time...
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

iiipopes wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:44 am
The school band directors I played under never switched a person from trumpet to french horn; instead they switched them to treble clef transposed notation euph/bari.
Oh I've heard him try to play trombone. He uses trumpet air, cannot be convinced to use more. Sounds just awful, phoo phoo phoo. He would actually, I think, be as good an amateur horn player as he is an amateur trumpet player, and better suited to the range; his trumpet pedals are quite good, including those that have no slot. He is actually considering it but being a thrifty fellow is looking for a single F in ... thrift stores and pawn shops, where he is talented at finding amazing deals.
iiipopes

Post by iiipopes »

Mary Ann wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:09 pm
iiipopes wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:44 am
Oh I've heard him try to play trombone. He uses trumpet air, cannot be convinced to use more. Sounds just awful, phoo phoo phoo. He would actually, I think, be as good an amateur horn player as he is an amateur trumpet player, and better suited to the range; his trumpet pedals are quite good, including those that have no slot. He is actually considering it but being a thrifty fellow is looking for a single F in ... thrift stores and pawn shops, where he is talented at finding amazing deals.
I appreciate your setting forth the broader context. He might be able to do either/or. The horn embouchure is different from other brass embouchures, especially if you are a proponent of the Farkas school. But also: tell him to be very, very careful about a used horn. Since french horns usually do not have water keys, water can collect and cause corrosion from the interior decimating the long lead pipe of a horn, and to replace it could be economically impractical depending on the overall resale value of the single horn. Moreover, most single horns are now considered "student" horns, and do not have much resale. This, compounded by them being prone to corrosion, makes purchasing a used horn that does not have any provenance (whether the prior owner being able to demonstrate maintenance, or having been gone over by a reputable shop) difficult at best, especially since both of these details will have the effect of raising the price for any particular horn. I still recommend a baritone or euphonium as a first place to go after trumpet.
Jupiter JTU1110
"Real" Conn 36K
Klier 4B Classic
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

You may not know that I am primarily a horn player; and I have found for myself, that a mature embouchure can get the characteristic sound out of any brass. The difference is the width of the vibrating aperture. Trumpet and horn are pretty close. I personally found the difference in the use of air to be more problematic, mostly between euph and horn. Tuba is SO different that I had no trouble switching between; I have no high range on trumpet but sound just fine on the range I do have.

He would not get a horn without having me evaluate it first. I play on an E Schmid double with a Lawson ambronze bell. He also is quire reasonably competent in evaluating brass, currently playing on a Yamaha Xeno cornet.
tubanh84

Post by tubanh84 »

bloke wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:56 pm
tubanh84 wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:37 am This appears to be a handy solution to an ever-present problem: A handy, portable third instrument to bring to auditions to play Bydlo if asked.

Has this ever happened to you?

Cut to black and white video of a conductor asking for Bydlo and bloke putting his hands up in exasperation.

WELL NOT ANYMORE!
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

Quite a few years ago, I was in the finals at Winnipeg.
I wasn’t (absolutely not al all) interested in moving there, but had airline points (remember those things?) that would disappear if I didn’t use them for something, and that little audition was happening. I was genuinely concerned that I was in the final round, because I knew I would not accept the job, and I did not wish to annoy the committee nor the music director by turning the job down.
The music director - a euphonium player (I was told later), asked for the Pictures passage in the final round. I played it very well on my F tuba (a particular instrument which makes most any player sound better than they are). I got a nice wink and smile from some of the committee members. The music director picked someone who brought their euphonium with them. It worked out fine, because he really wanted the job and accepted it, and I absolutely did not want the job, and would not have accepted it. Hearing the intonation and resonance characteristics of that plastic thing (about the size of an English baritone, but with horrible tuning), I would - without question - still play that excerpt on my F tuba, if that thing was the only other instrument at hand…even - and particularly - if the music director was a euphonium player.
Previously, I thought you were joking… and I still really believe that you are (trolling)…
…but this post was just in case you were actually serious and were not trolling.
tubanh84 wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:10 pm
bloke wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:56 pm

Cut to black and white video of a conductor asking for Bydlo and bloke putting his hands up in exasperation.

WELL NOT ANYMORE!
tubanh84

Post by tubanh84 »

bloke wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:29 pm Previously, I thought you were joking… and I still really believe that you are (trolling)…
…but this post was just in case you were actually serious and were not trolling.
tubanh84 wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:10 pm
bloke wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:56 pm yeah, darn it...That happens to me ALL the time...

WELL NOT ANYMORE!
Me? What? Troll? I don’t even know what that means.
These users thanked the author tubanh84 for the post (total 2):
Three Valves (Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:57 am) • bloke (Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:26 pm)
Three Valves

Post by Three Valves »

You can't troll a troll!!

Or can you??

:thumbsup:

When bloke started out his story with "I was in the finals at Winnipeg" I though to myself, he plays hockey?? :smilie2:
Thought Criminal
Mack Brass Artiste
TU422L with TU25
1964 Conn 36k with CB Arnold Jacobs
Accent (By B&S) 952R with Bach12
The Fourth Estate is the Fifth Column
tubanh84

Post by tubanh84 »

Three Valves wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:57 am
When bloke started out his story with "I was in the finals at Winnipeg" I though to myself, he plays hockey?? :smilie2:
Not if he's in the finals in Winnipeg he doesn't... :cheers:
These users thanked the author tubanh84 for the post:
Three Valves (Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:33 pm)
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

tubanh84 wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:07 amMe? What? Troll? I don’t even know what that means.

I was pretty sure that you did not. 🎄

If you are ever interested in trying it, I’ve discovered that simply telling factual stories - in a “deadpan“ tone - is one of the best ways to troll other people (people who are not particularly good at trolling, but try hard).
prairieboy1

Post by prairieboy1 »

tubanh84 wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:56 am
Three Valves wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:57 am
Not if he's in the finals in Winnipeg he doesn't... :cheers:
Lol! My laugh for the day!! Now, who would not like to live in Winterpeg? Many people, including myself!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
1916 Holton "Mammoth" 3 valve BBb Upright Bell Tuba
1935 King "Symphony" Bass 3 valve BBb Tuba
1998 King "2341" 4 valve BBb Tuba
1970 Yamaha "321" 4 valve BBb Tuba (Yard Goat)
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

The only thing I had heard up to now about Winnipeg was from my friend who played horn for the traveling Phantom show. He HATED Winnipeg and was happy to get out of there and never go back.
These users thanked the author Mary Ann for the post:
bloke (Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:28 am)
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

When I was there, I was thinking, “My God. Could you imagine all this in 3 feet of snow, and with $.75 dollars?”