If you could buy a new tuba, would you?

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
bort2.0

If you could buy a new tuba, would you?

Post by bort2.0 »

I mean, someone has to buy these things brand new!

Suppose that you were unexpectedly gifted some amount of money (IDK, say $50k clear, after taxes).

Would you buy a brand new tuba?

Would you buy the most extreme thing you could?

Several modest things?

For me, I have never owned a brand new tuba. I would be extremely tempted to get a new Thein CC rotary. :) :tuba: But would probably end up buying a brand new Miraphone 188.

Or more realistically, buy nothing at all, and use the $ for other things!

tubaing

Re: If you could buy a new tuba, would you?

Post by tubaing »

I'm tempted to buy new when there are not cheaper yet comparable alternatives in the used market.

I bought a new MW 5450 in 2009 when WWBW had that legendary scratch and dent sale. Came with a big dent on the bottom... I suspect from shipping. I regret not filing insurance claim since I know a lot of folks who received theirs with no damage.

I bought a Wessex Fertivo new. They gave me a good discount because it came with a really dumb case, it was a demo, and apparantly a slightly updated model was coming out (still not pictured on their website). I was getting ready to order a new one, but when I was at the showroom, i was happy they let me buy the display.

When Kanstul was shutting down, I got one of their 3/4 F tubas. That was (like the Wessex- newish).

While at Wessex, I seriously considered the California F since I really liked how it played... ended up getting a Besson 983 used. Also was interested in trying that Mack Brass Falcon F.

I think the number would need to be more life changing than $50,000 for me to splurge on new (when used are cheaper) instruments.
Three Valves

Post by Three Valves »

Yes.
Thought Criminal
Mack Brass Artiste
TU422L with TU25
1964 Conn 36k with CB Arnold Jacobs
Accent (By B&S) 952R with Bach12
The Fourth Estate is the Fifth Column
Jason A Roamer
Been thanked: 0

Post by Jason A Roamer »

Yes. My buying philosophy for instruments is to save up the cost of the new one and buy it if a comparable, geographically desirable used instrument does not become available within that timeframe. Or, if I have my eye on a model that is not encountered frequently, like the Nirschl York BBb, I'll save the money and hope that he'll still make one when I have it.
Stryk

Post by Stryk »

bort2.0 wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 1:52 am
For me, I have never owned a brand new tuba. I would be extremely tempted to get a new Thein CC rotary. :) :tuba: But would probably end up buying a brand new Miraphone 188.
About 15 years ago, I bought a new 186 for my high school band. I was VERY disappointed. I have always been a Mirafone guy, and it really made an impression on me about the "newer" ones - they are not (were not) as good as the vintage ones. Solder joints not cleaned, slides that didn't align, lacquer that didn't last, etc. Plus, it was as heavy as a boat anchor and played like there was something stuffed down the bell. For that reason, I immediately dismissed a new Miraphone when I had the opportunity to buy a new horn. I hope they have a good product these days, but I wasn't going to take a chance on that.
Terry Stryker
Mirafone 186C, 186BBb, 184C, 186C clone
Gebr. Alexander New 163C, Vintage 163C, Vintage 163BBb
Amati 481C
Lyon & Healy 6/4
Kane Stealth tuba
A plethora of others....
KingTuba1241X

Post by KingTuba1241X »

Maybe but probably not. Just because (of the new Asian models I've tried) have not been "broken in" and felt "tight" to me and without character. I'd prefer something that LOOKS new but has that "been played" feel a bit to it. Like a car 2 years old that has some of the beginning bugs worked out of it and the depreciation went to the original purchaser. That's why my 187 is so great...
06' Miraphone 187-4U
hrender

Post by hrender »

Only if it played significantly better than one of my older horns.
The Big Ben

Post by The Big Ben »

I'm a guy who got over needing to buy something "new" a long time ago. I have been able to have a wide variety of things I could not otherwise afford.

That said, I would buy a new tuba if I could not otherwise obtain the model. A few years ago, I really wanted a Norwegian Star. It would be the right size and capacity for the playing I was doing. However, it was such a new model that few if any could be fund used. There are a variety of other good Eb horns I could purchase used but not a NS.

The horn I play now is a King 1241. It plays great but its' appearance could be much better. Lots of small dents and some large dents. If I wanted something "cleaner", I would look for another 1241 or 2341 which was straighter and sell the one I have. I wouldn't buy a new 2341. But, knowing me, I'll keep this one and enjoy it.

I would spend my money on a Czech style helicon. Probably used. Why? I just think they are cool looking and would be useful when doing informal playing in public. I would meet people, too. You know someone is going to point at it and say, "What's that?" and I could talk to them. Public relations for the band. They would remember they saw a band that day with that guy with the funny looking "tuba" They might come to the next concert.
iiipopes

Post by iiipopes »

I just did about four months ago: Jupiter JTU1110. The most under-rated tuba out there. As much as I enjoy my Bessophone, I wanted a piston valve tuba of similar bore and length of lead pipe to valve block length to the Conn souzy I play for outdoor concerts. At the Christmas concert of my community band, the overriding comment was that folks never heard the low brass sound better. I would like to think that I had something to do with those comments, both from this being my first year back again playing after the previous tuba players either died or declined to return at the end of last year, my working my @$$ off getting back into shape, and the quality of the tuba itself.

Price: even though 2021, got a deal on left-over from 2020 closeout pricing. It was a deal I couldn't refuse, complete with 24-month no-interest on the store credit card. A month after I purchased it, the new price on the new shipment of tubas from the same retailer went up 1/3. Yes, 33 1/3% over what I paid for the tuba. I could now sell it as a slightly used tuba for about what I paid for it, but, of course, I'm keeping it, in anticipation of many seasons of playing to come.
These users thanked the author iiipopes for the post:
Three Valves (Fri Dec 31, 2021 1:03 pm)
Jupiter JTU1110
"Real" Conn 36K
Klier 4B Classic
Rick Denney
Resident Genius

Post by Rick Denney »

It depends on the tuba and the buying opportunity. I’ve bought new, demos, and used.

Rick “who buys tubas to keep and measures value in enjoyment during play” Denney
djwpe

Post by djwpe »

Yes. Most of my stable was bought new.

Don
Three Valves

Post by Three Valves »

Stryk wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 10:25 am About 15 years ago, I bought a new 186 for my high school band. I was VERY disappointed. I have always been a Mirafone guy, and it really made an impression on me about the "newer" ones - they are not (were not) as good as the vintage ones. Solder joints not cleaned, slides that didn't align, lacquer that didn't last, etc. Plus, it was as heavy as a boat anchor and played like there was something stuffed down the bell. For that reason, I immediately dismissed a new Miraphone when I had the opportunity to buy a new horn. I hope they have a good product these days, but I wasn't going to take a chance on that.
And yet, I played a new one about two years ago I was impressed with and just over 20lbs. :smilie5:
Thought Criminal
Mack Brass Artiste
TU422L with TU25
1964 Conn 36k with CB Arnold Jacobs
Accent (By B&S) 952R with Bach12
The Fourth Estate is the Fifth Column
Doc

Post by Doc »

Stryk wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 10:25 am
bort2.0 wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 1:52 am
About 15 years ago, I bought a new 186 for my high school band. I was VERY disappointed. I have always been a Mirafone guy, and it really made an impression on me about the "newer" ones - they are not (were not) as good as the vintage ones. Solder joints not cleaned, slides that didn't align, lacquer that didn't last, etc. Plus, it was as heavy as a boat anchor and played like there was something stuffed down the bell. For that reason, I immediately dismissed a new Miraphone when I had the opportunity to buy a new horn. I hope they have a good product these days, but I wasn't going to take a chance on that.
I own a new Miraphone (496 BBb) and a vintage Miraphone (186 CC). Both are superb instruments. I owned a mid '80s 188 CC that also was a great instrument. I owned a 186 CC (maybe mid 80s - early 90s) that I DID NOT LIKE AT ALL. I've tried the new 186 BBb, and it's nice, but it ain't vintage nice, and neither is the new 186 CC. And both are a bit heavy compared to their vintage brethren. I have owned three Miraphone F tubas. Both 181s were good, but not perfect. The Firebird (bought new) was outstanding in every way, and I was a moron to sell it.

Also being a Miraphone guy, I'm the first to sing their praises of consistency, intonation, customer care, dreamy valves, etc., but even Miraphone is not exempt from having some less than stellar examples.

In answer to the original question:
bort2.0 wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 1:52 am I mean, someone has to buy these things brand new!

Suppose that you were unexpectedly gifted some amount of money (IDK, say $50k clear, after taxes).

Would you buy a brand new tuba?
I might buy a tuba, but new or used would not necessarily be a factor. I'm considering a purchase as we speak, and new is currently the only option, although the price is fair and reasonable. I'm not sure if this one will actually pay for itself like all the others have, but that wouldn't be the main purpose of this instrument.
Would you buy the most extreme thing you could?
Not unless it is something I really wanted (Miraphone 497, sheet brass Fafner, Nirschl Kaiser, a fully restored real York 6/4 BAT, etc.)
Several modest things?
Depends on my needs. $50K won't cover my if-I-won-the-lotto list.
They are for sale new and used every day. There's one somewhere with your name on it.
Or more realistically, buy nothing at all, and use the $ for other things!
Yes, we know. :teeth:
Welcome to Browntown!
Home of the Brown Note!
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

Pricing not an issue, I just don’t know of any that I’ve played which I would be willing to set in the place of any that I have.
Ace

Post by Ace »

I'd buy a new Miraphone 188. But, I'll soon be 86, and I can just see my daughters settling my estate, being told by some crook it's a POS not worth more than $400. I have a lot of faith in the essential goodness of most people, but there really are some crooks out there.

Ace
matt g

Post by matt g »

Maybe a MWN8.

I wonder if, for a premium, the B&S people could be coerced into replicating the older style “Symphonie” F tubas with the smaller valve set and possibly out of sheet brass for lighter weight.
Dillon/Walters CC (sold)
Meinl-Weston 2165 (sold)
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

Back in 1980 (arguably, when they were being made about the best they had been made), a 6-valve was probably retailing at $2400 ($8000, in 2021 dollars) in the USA, but probably cost importers $800 ($2700, in 2021 dollars).
I could see a sheet-metal one, today, priced at $23,000 retail, with a dealer cost of $15000.
me...?? I wouldn't stock 'em, and nor would I buy a "nice-used" reissue (with the hope of flipping it) for $9500. :coffee:
matt g wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 2:46 pm Maybe a MWN8.

I wonder if, for a premium, the B&S people could be coerced into replicating the older style “Symphonie” F tubas with the smaller valve set and possibly out of sheet brass for lighter weight.
...and I understand that tons of people buy/play 5-valve F tubas - and that one-less-valve makes 'em be slightly less expensive, but (me talking, here) dealing with a 5-valve F tuba is a lot like dealing with a 4-valve C tuba.
Dan Tuba

Post by Dan Tuba »

I would buy a decent bass tuba. 6 valve F :tuba: Give the rest to my family :tuba:
Conn 25J
Holton Monster 3+1 EEb
Faxx 24AW
iHeartLowBrass

Post by iHeartLowBrass »

I would never buy a new car because of how quickly they depreciate. Musical instruments, not the same. Aesthetically I like older tubas, but I have a weird premonition that I'll be taking a serious look at a new 496 or similar large rotary BBb in a couple of years.
matt g

Post by matt g »

iHeartLowBrass wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 4:50 pm I would never buy a new car because of how quickly they depreciate.
Except the last two years… I have seen situations where one could flip a new car and make a profit due to the current supplier shortages.
Musical instruments, not the same.
I see most instruments take a 20-40% hit on the price when going from new to used. That being said, they usually stay flat there and don’t drop much more.

When new and improved models come out, past models take a decent hit. One of the horns in my signature is an example of said market forces. The 2265 knocked the market value down on the 2165 and the 6450 knocked down the market value on the 2265.
Dillon/Walters CC (sold)
Meinl-Weston 2165 (sold)