Bort's Rudy Meinl 5/4 BBb (it is here!)

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
Three Valves

Re: Bort's Rudy Meinl 5/4 BBb (completed!)

Post by Three Valves »

Thought Criminal
Mack Brass Artiste
TU422L with TU25
1964 Conn 36k with CB Arnold Jacobs
Accent (By B&S) 952R with Bach12
The Fourth Estate is the Fifth Column
bort2.0

Post by bort2.0 »

Current status: on a truck somewhere south of the Twin Cities. Anticipation! :wall:
These users thanked the author bort2.0 for the post (total 2):
York-aholic (Fri Apr 01, 2022 5:20 am) • MN_TimTuba (Fri Apr 01, 2022 2:51 pm)
bort2.0

Post by bort2.0 »

It has arrived at the freight company. I'm waiting for the phone call to pick it up. I'll go anytime day or night.

But at this point, I'm guessing it's not until Monday morning. :gaah:

But also, not like I would have been able to drive down to Iowa before Monday anyway.

:wall: :tuba:
These users thanked the author bort2.0 for the post (total 2):
Three Valves (Fri Apr 01, 2022 5:48 pm) • Stryk (Fri Apr 01, 2022 6:24 pm)
djwpe

Post by djwpe »

bort2.0 wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:01 pm
... I'm gonna be pretty dang happy with it. :)

Countdown to the "for sale" ad starts now.

:slap:

Just kidding Brett. Use it in good health!!!

Don
LargeTuba

Post by LargeTuba »

bort2.0 wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 5:17 pm It has arrived at the freight company. I'm waiting for the phone call to pick it up. I'll go anytime day or night.

But also, not like I would have been able to drive down to Iowa before Monday anyway.

April fools? :laugh:
Pt-6P, Holton 345 CC, 45slp
JRaymo

Post by JRaymo »

bort2.0 wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 5:17 pm It has arrived at the freight company. I'm waiting for the phone call to pick it up. I'll go anytime day or night.

I've driven there and its not too bad. I like road trips though. Just finished a 2500 plus mile one and I am tired now. So I am local if it will be sold in the future. I don't know if I will ever have a budget for another contra but if I did that would be on my short list. Keep me posted how it goes.
bort2.0

Post by bort2.0 »

Oh, I'm not worried about th long drives, I love that stuff. I just have no time to do it. My kids are too little to drag them along (and they have no tolerance for long car rides right now), and leaving my kids with my wife for a full day while I run off to do tuba stuff... That's a no-go. Some day, but not now, they are just too young.

Tuba is still in Burnsville, I'm waiting for the depot to call me on Monday.

I haven't been this excited to receive a tuba since the rotary PT6 that I had a few years ago. That was just such a great, great tuba. I miss it a lot, and regret selling it. But ... The money I got from selling it allowed me to buy the house I'm sitting in now, so I guess it all works out okay. That was pre-Covid, so not like I was gonna be happy with having a PT-6 sitting around unused for 2 years.

Anyway, fingers crossed for Meinl Monday!
humBell

Post by humBell »

LargeTuba wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 5:48 am

April fools? :laugh:
It would have made a good subject for an April Fool's joke.

My Freight experience was right around Xmas, so i had a high tolerance for crazy shipping behavior. I am blanking on exact notification, but tracking said something about going into Boston, but the actual freight end stop was north of the city. And i may have pestered the sender who took the time to call them and confirm it was waiting patiently for me to pick. And it was clearly one of several times where going in, i knew i'd have to unpack the box on site because the tuba would fit i. the car, but the shipping container wouldn't. I think they were kind in letting me leave the box with them.

Anyway, i too look forward to hearing how it works out!
"All art is one." -Hal
bort2.0

Post by bort2.0 »

The tuba is now in my house. :smilie7:

A few very quick thoughts:
  • Pick up from the freight terminal was easy and uneventful.
  • First reaction -- holy crap this thing is huge
  • Second reaction -- no, but like for real, the top bow is about the same size as the bottom bow on Martin Eb
  • I've only played about 20 minutes on it, but the sound is incredible.
  • For as big as it is, it's not very difficult to play. I don't feel particularly winded by it, it's just very open and easy to make it go
  • Overall, it's a much different playing experience than I'm used to with other rotary tubas, and it's a completely different instrument than a small bore piston Eb. Individual notes are all totally fine easy to play. Moving between notes has some squirrelyness... But that is totally just me and not being used to playing something quite so huge. A little more time in the driver's seat and it all clear itself up in due time.
  • Pedal B flat is the one note that seems to take a LOT of air. But once you're there, holy crap...!
Also, expect to see an enormous Alteiri bag for sale soon

And many thanks to Lee Stofer for bringing this fine tuba back to life.

Photos to come!

:smilie7: :tuba:
Last edited by bort2.0 on Mon Apr 04, 2022 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author bort2.0 for the post (total 5):
Tubajug (Mon Apr 04, 2022 3:20 pm) • prairieboy1 (Mon Apr 04, 2022 3:23 pm) • Worth (Mon Apr 04, 2022 3:35 pm) • MN_TimTuba (Mon Apr 04, 2022 7:01 pm) • York-aholic (Tue Apr 05, 2022 5:12 am)
prairieboy1

Post by prairieboy1 »

Looking forward to the photos!! :tuba:
These users thanked the author prairieboy1 for the post:
bort2.0 (Mon Apr 04, 2022 8:08 pm)
1916 Holton "Mammoth" 3 valve BBb Upright Bell Tuba
1935 King "Symphony" Bass 3 valve BBb Tuba
1998 King "2341" 4 valve BBb Tuba
1970 Yamaha "321" 4 valve BBb Tuba (Yard Goat)
Worth

Post by Worth »

Like others, I enjoy reading of your tuba adventures!
:tuba:
These users thanked the author Worth for the post:
bort2.0 (Mon Apr 04, 2022 8:08 pm)
2014 Wisemann 900
2013 Miraphone 188
bort2.0

Re: Bort's Rudy Meinl 5/4 BBb (it is here!)

Post by bort2.0 »

Photos!

It's hard to capture the scale... But it's 42" tall, very wide, and the bows are really fat. I haven't weighed it yet, but it doesn't feel crazy heavy to pick up, and it's comfortable to hold.

The bell... It needed some work, and the decision was to leave it a little rough, but solid and ready for regular use. As opposed to looking pretty, perfectly smooth, and too fragile to leave the house. Lots of patches, but worth it to keep the original bell.

This tuba is FUN!

Last edited by bort2.0 on Mon Apr 04, 2022 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author bort2.0 for the post:
Three Valves (Tue Apr 05, 2022 7:02 am)
Stryk

Post by Stryk »

So happy for you! Those are INCREDIBLE instruments - one you will want to keep for a lifetime. And, pretty sexy lookin, too!
These users thanked the author Stryk for the post:
bort2.0 (Mon Apr 04, 2022 8:07 pm)
Terry Stryker
Mirafone 186C, 186BBb, 184C, 186C clone
Gebr. Alexander New 163C, Vintage 163C, Vintage 163BBb
Amati 481C
Lyon & Healy 6/4
Kane Stealth tuba
A plethora of others....
prairieboy1

Post by prairieboy1 »

Wow!!! :bugeyes: That is a gorgeous horn. I hope you have a lot of fun with it!
These users thanked the author prairieboy1 for the post:
bort2.0 (Mon Apr 04, 2022 10:37 pm)
1916 Holton "Mammoth" 3 valve BBb Upright Bell Tuba
1935 King "Symphony" Bass 3 valve BBb Tuba
1998 King "2341" 4 valve BBb Tuba
1970 Yamaha "321" 4 valve BBb Tuba (Yard Goat)
tofu

Post by tofu »

Last edited by tofu on Sun Jun 25, 2023 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
York-aholic

Post by York-aholic »

Very nice. I wish you many pleasurable hours of playing.
These users thanked the author York-aholic for the post:
bort2.0 (Tue Apr 05, 2022 9:10 am)
Some old Yorks, Martins, and perhaps a King rotary valved CC
bort2.0

Post by bort2.0 »

tofu wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 1:05 am I thought I might have played the Rudy you were getting when I was out at Lee's place getting work done some time ago. But this is a different horn. Different paddles etc and I don't remember a bell emblem. This looks like an older one. Lee knows Rudys well - did he have an idea on the age of this one?

You're gonna need a bigger trunk. :teeth:

I remember when he brought by my place a 6/4 that he was taking in to Chicago for Gene P to try. My gosh what an immense tuba. Made the 5/4 look small - which is hard to do.
I had to put the tuba in the front seat. Maybe it'll fit in the trunk with a little wiggling, but I'm not sure. :red:

Lee believes that it was handmade by Rudy Meinl Sr. in 1957, but sometime in the late 50s or early 60s is a good range for an estimate. Rudy Sr is in his early 80s now, so I'm not quite sure how the math all lines up there... but it's somewhere around there. So yes, this is a very early version of the 5/4 BBb. Being a handmade tuba, I'd expect there to be differences between 5/4 BBb's over the years, but Lee says that for the most part, the design hasn't changed much and it's unmistakable as a Rudy 5/4 BBb.

I know Lee has communicated with Rudy (Sr. or Jr.?) about my tuba, to confirm that yes, back in that time period their company did make tubas that were badged for the Reisser music store in Ulm. I've also chatted with Bob Tucci about my tuba, and he also confirmed that Rudy was making tubas with the Reisser badge for a period of time, prior to the current Rudy Meinl engraving, which started in 1969.

I also learned that Rudy Sr.'s father was also named Rudy, and their family had to leave Graslitz in 1945, and resettled in Franconia, Germany. The first family business was with a team of horses and a wagon. Bob even sent me a photo of a very young Rudy Sr. riding one of those horses with his father. After some amount of time, they got in the business of repairing instruments, then making instruments. (Unclear if that's what they were already doing in Graslitz before the relocation... guessing the horse/wagon was just temporary to make money while getting situated and rebuilding their lives.) The rest, we all know!
These users thanked the author bort2.0 for the post (total 3):
Doc (Tue Apr 05, 2022 9:37 am) • prairieboy1 (Tue Apr 05, 2022 10:10 am) • York-aholic (Tue Apr 05, 2022 12:31 pm)
bort2.0

Post by bort2.0 »

A few more thoughts, then I'll shut up for a while. Well, until after rehearsal on Thursday.

The last 2 inches of bell flare is where all the work was done. Lots of brazed patches. Not too pretty, but function is the most most important thing! From a few feet away you don't really notice it much. Down the road, a replacement bell is an option. An expensive option.

Second valve feels scratchy and sticks sometimes. I'm working with Lee to diagnose and resolve that. Open to suggestions here, too!

Other valves are all fast, smooth, and silent. Original S linkages work fantastically.

All of the slide tubes are as shiny, smooth, and as easy to use as a new tuba. Not sure how much Lee did to them, but they just look really nice.

The leadpipe on the tuba is a Miraphone 190 nickel silver leadpipe. Looks really pretty, IMO.

The top valve caps appear to be gold brass, or at the least, a different color from the rest of the brass on the horn. Also pretty!

The keel on the bottom... Hasn't injured me yet, but I'm cautious. Any guesses why there is a hole in it?

Valve paddles -- this is my first time owning a tuba with this style of machine... Round paddles, S-links, clockwork springs. Classy vintage stuff that works really well.

Otherwise, I have it sitting here next to me in my office, trying to acclimate myself to the physical size of it, to start normalizing the bigness of it. I've owned big tubas before, but this has to be the biggest. Takes a little time to get used to the bigness.

Excited to take it to rehearsal Thursday, but also a little nervous about keeping it under control. One way to find out!
jtm

Post by jtm »

bort2.0 wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 2:31 pm The keel on the bottom... Hasn't injured me yet, but I'm cautious. Any guesses why there is a hole in it?
The hole is so you can hang it on the rack by the checkout counter.
These users thanked the author jtm for the post:
kingrob76 (Tue Apr 05, 2022 4:57 pm)
John Morris
This practicing trick actually seems to be working!
playing some old German rotary tubas for free
Worth

Post by Worth »

Whoa, sibling on FB Tuba/Euph marketplace for those with access. Nice pictures. Located in Germany.
2014 Wisemann 900
2013 Miraphone 188