Foot Pedals

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
hup_d_dup
Has thanked: 0

Foot Pedals

Post by hup_d_dup »

Foot Pedals . . . (for iPad) . . . there are a lot of them.

Are the all essentially the same? Or is one of them super-duper?

Hup

Yes, I play tuba. What else is there to say?
Doc

Re: Foot Pedals

Post by Doc »

I use the PageFlip Firefly (a couple of guys I play with use this one also). It connects every time and works every time. You can customize the controls to do several other things (I haven't needed any of that). Runs on 2 AA batteries or USB power cable. And it's low profile/not tall, so it's easy to access with your foot without knocking it around. Easy, no mess, no fuss, dependable.

PageFlip Firefly
firefly.jpg
firefly.jpg (6.05 KiB) Viewed 359 times
These users thanked the author Doc for the post:
Nworbekim (Wed Apr 20, 2022 11:10 am)
Welcome to Browntown!
Home of the Brown Note!
kingrob76

Post by kingrob76 »

I have a PageFlip Cicada I have since retired because I bought a AirTurn Duo 200 and I am extremely happy I did. Rechargeable with a battery that lasts 150-200 hours? Yes please. Plus the action of the pedal is much cleaner. Not as easy to set up as the PageFlip, but definitely nicer.
These users thanked the author kingrob76 for the post:
Doc (Wed Apr 20, 2022 10:27 am)
Rob. Just Rob.
Nworbekim

Post by Nworbekim »

Doc wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 10:18 am I use the PageFlip Firefly (a couple of guys I play with use this one also). It connects every time and works every time. You can customize the controls to do several other things (I haven't needed any of that). Runs on 2 AA batteries or USB power cable. And it's low profile/not tall, so it's easy to access with your foot without knocking it around. Easy, no mess, no fuss, dependable.

PageFlip Firefly

firefly.jpg
I've used this for several years
Miraphone 186 - King 2341 - JP179B - York & sons 1910 Eb - Meinl Weston 2145 - Wessex Festivo - King 2280
Play it with emotion and play it strong! Don't make a face and they won't know it's wrong!
Worth

Post by Worth »

I use a FLIC 2 button mounted on my horn with a small square of adhesive velcro. No more fishing around on the floor for my pedal. One press advances a page, double press goes back. This is extremely convenient and always right where I need it.
These users thanked the author Worth for the post (total 2):
York-aholic (Wed Apr 20, 2022 4:20 pm) • davidgilbreath (Fri Jan 20, 2023 7:53 am)
2014 Wisemann 900
2013 Miraphone 188
Rick Denney
Resident Genius

Post by Rick Denney »

Worth wrote:I use a FLIC 2 button mounted on my horn with a small square of adhesive velcro. No more fishing around on the floor for my pedal. One press advances a page, double press goes back. This is extremely convenient and always right where I need it.
I was thinking the same thing. I have a Pageflip One-of-those-insects, and no matter where I put it on the floor, I have to look down to find it, unless I hold my foot in the air over it for the whole gig. It’s all button, so budging around to detect it by feel invariably causes a page turn.

Last night’s concert (to be repeated Friday) was filled with medleys of show tunes of 4-5 pages each. I can’t reach the stand with my heft hand while playing, and the music had few gaps. I mis-flipped a couple times.

I read this thread and looked at some of the devices others had bought to see it they worked differently. That’s when I found an article on the Forscore site about this:

I bought one before you posted. Like you, I’ll Velcro it to my tuba for left-thumb operation.

Rick “an experiment” Denney
These users thanked the author Rick Denney for the post:
Worth (Thu Apr 21, 2022 7:35 am)
tofu

Post by tofu »

Last edited by tofu on Sun Jun 25, 2023 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jtm

Post by jtm »

tofu wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 8:29 pm ... What kind of battery does it use? Is there a warning when the button battery is low? Is this blue tooth? Cost?
https://flic.io/shop/flic-2-single-pack

$30, it's bluetooth, and the battery is replaceable. The tablet can probably show the battery life remaining (but don't take my word for it).
John Morris
This practicing trick actually seems to be working!
playing some old German rotary tubas for free
Worth

Post by Worth »

I have it mounted on the top bow close enough to the first slide for convenience, and operate it with my left thumb. The battery is supposed to last "up to 24 months." Mental notes don't work well for me. I made a physical note in my music room to replace it in one year's time, the same as I do for my car Key FOBs. I do not believe the tablet can show the remaining battery percent. It takes a CR2032, really common battery. For me, the FLIC 2 has been a good solution and it frees your feet. They even make special trombone mounts for it

These users thanked the author Worth for the post (total 2):
Kirley (Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:02 am) • davidgilbreath (Fri Jan 20, 2023 7:59 am)
2014 Wisemann 900
2013 Miraphone 188