Some swingin' playing by Harvey Phillips with Gil Evans

YouTuba, links to recordings, art, anything media related
UncleBeer

Some swingin' playing by Harvey Phillips with Gil Evans

Post by UncleBeer »

I was surprised to hear how comfortable Harvey sounds on this.

These users thanked the author UncleBeer for the post (total 4):
bloke (Thu Jun 16, 2022 5:35 pm) • matt g (Thu Jun 16, 2022 7:03 pm) • hrender (Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:27 am) • prairieboy1 (Fri Jun 17, 2022 11:50 am)

brianf
Has thanked: 0

Re: Some swingin' playing by Harvey Phillips with Gil Evans

Post by brianf »

I have heard this but the story is priceless . . .

In 1994 I made my first trip to the Tubaranch along with Arnold Jacobs. Harvey wanted me to stay an extra day to load Windows on his computer. He had an IBM and in those days they had a battle with Microsoft and did not load Windows! It was Harvey Phillips so I had to do the job. Here's the thing - I did not have the installation disks! I had to do a backup from my computer using floppy disks (remember them). I was getting bored to death doing the job then some visitors came to cheer me up - Harvey Phillips AND Arnold Jacobs! I was at Harvey's desk and he decided to play us some of his old recordings. Loading Windows took a lot of time so he played a lot of recordings. Both Arnold and myself were amazed! He got to this recoding and during it Both Arnold and myself looked at each other and our jaws simultaneously dropped! Then Harvey played more of his old recordings the rest of the night.

As a side note, when Harvey asked me to stay an extra day, I told him that I was driving Arnold's car so he had to talk Arnold into this. There was a Tubaranch picnic going on with a keg of beer. In front of Arnold, Harvey yelled "Frederiksen, you don't know how to drink - meet me at the keg." He poured for beers so in front of a lot of people (including Arnold) I chugged down two beers "Harvey style" with him from the top glass to the bottom glass! He quietly told me that he wanted me drunk enough so Arnold would not want me driving his car but sober enough so I wouldn't screw up his computer. We left the next day and Harvey had his computer loaded with Windows.

Since then I have made a lot of trips to the Tubaranch!
These users thanked the author brianf for the post (total 3):
hrender (Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:28 am) • UncleBeer (Fri Jun 17, 2022 1:45 pm) • York-aholic (Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:01 pm)
MikeMason

Post by MikeMason »

Tasty and hip playing! An artist that really sounds “one with the horn”. Thanks for sharing.
Yamaha 621 w/16’’ bell w/Laskey 32h
Miraphone 190 b flat with 20’’ bell.
F Schmidt (b&s) euphonium/searching for mouthpiece
Pensacola symphony principal tuba
UncleBeer

Post by UncleBeer »

brianf wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 8:55 am I have heard this but the story is priceless . . .
Great story, Brian! Thanks.
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

simply put, Harvey could play.
------------
digging deeper, possibly Rich Matteson may have pushed Harvey even farther, but Harvey never dropped that ball, either.
Three Valves

Post by Three Valves »

Innovation without crossing over to the unlistenable. :thumbsup:
Thought Criminal
Mack Brass Artiste
TU422L with TU25
1964 Conn 36k with CB Arnold Jacobs
Accent (By B&S) 952R with Bach12
The Fourth Estate is the Fifth Column
UncleBeer

Post by UncleBeer »

Three Valves wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 7:10 am Innovation without crossing over to the unlistenable. :thumbsup:
That's composer John Carisi. He was a fantastic post-bop composer & arranger, and a great trumpet player. I had the good fortune to play dixieland at the Yankee's games with him, '82-'89.
These users thanked the author UncleBeer for the post:
Three Valves (Mon Jun 20, 2022 12:27 pm)
Jim Williams

Post by Jim Williams »

NOTHING Harvey did ever surprised me. I still remember some of the stuff he did in my lessons--and those lessons were 35-40 years ago. I'd be playing some tune and Harvey would stop me, saying something like "now when he got to the bridge, Bob Brookmeyer (or Curtis Fuller, or Hal McKusick) did this..." and then he'd play Brookmeyer's (Fuller's, McKusick's) lick note-for-note in the proper register. Some stuff he used to "toss off" casually at the ranch has also stuck with me.
I'm going down to the ranch soon to deal with some Foundation business. A strange warmth and and unavoidable smile overtake me when I visit.
The artist formerly known as Snorlax.
Shires Q41 and Yamaha 321 Euphoniums.
Yamaha 621 Baritone, Conn 50H trombone.