Rubank Advanced books - nothing to sneeze at (after wiping them off)

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
bloke
Mid South Music

Rubank Advanced books - nothing to sneeze at (after wiping them off)

Post by bloke »

If you consider yourself to be a somewhat accomplished player, find those long-lost books, take them outside, wipe off the mildew, grab your "big" tuba, and play through them - with your current standards (tuning/clarity/musicality-phrasing) at which you require yourself to play... Maybe even set an electronic tuning over off to the side (to glance at, occasionally).

That "boring old" Magic Flute solo (in the back of bk I) isn't as easy - when imagining oneself performing it (as a mature player) rather than poking around at the "easy" notes (as a 15-year-old, etc.), yes?
These users thanked the author bloke for the post (total 2):
rodgeman (Sun Jun 19, 2022 2:29 pm) • acemorgan (Sun Jun 19, 2022 3:07 pm)

acemorgan

Re: Rubank Advanced books - nothing to sneeze at (after wiping them off)

Post by acemorgan »

One of the advantages of age is that you can be surprised by things you probably once knew, but forgot, and forgot that you ever knew.

I have owned the Rubank Advanced books and the Wekselblatt Solos for the Tuba Player books for over 40 years, but just recently "noticed" that the Magic Flute solo is exactly the same in both books. Where the Rubank has cue notes, the Welkselblatt has the same thing embedded in its rather simple, chorale style accompaniment. Same key, even, which surprised me because the Wekselblatt book is full of orchestral excerpts in all those weird fiddle-player keys.
Seek not to follow in the footsteps of the men of old; seek what they sought. -Basho

Courtois Eb
Carl Fischer Eb
Wessex Dolce
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

yes to all you said and/but…
- I probably never fooled with playing it, because I’m sure that (to my Wally Cleaver mind) it looked like a bunch of easy notes when I was a kid, and
- had I played it - it would’ve sounded like crap.

To kids, the only real music is “shredding“, yes?
acemorgan

Post by acemorgan »

bloke wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 3:25 pm To kids, the only real music is “shredding“, yes?
Too true.
Seek not to follow in the footsteps of the men of old; seek what they sought. -Basho

Courtois Eb
Carl Fischer Eb
Wessex Dolce
the elephant

Post by the elephant »

My only quibble with those books is the limited key signatures in them. They are outstanding books that I still use on occasion. The advanced ones are difficult. I don't buy a lot of *new* books as everything I have ever needed was in those books from Robert King, Southern Music, and the Arban, and other trumpet books. In fact, most of my books are either very old tuba texts or very old trumpet texts.
iiipopes

Post by iiipopes »

My high school band director used the Rubank Advanced Method, along with the Watkins-Farnum sight reading test, to test players for what we called "varsity" band (sophomore, junior, senior). Those who successfully completed the first ten units and scored a minimum of 40 on the W-F qualified to enroll in high school band. Those that did not had to play in the freshman band until they achieved the minimum standards. Why the first ten units? That encompassed the wide range of playing in key signatures for 99% of what we played in band. The W-F determined seating. Yes, I scored over 100 on the W-F and still sat second chair; the musicianship of my high school band was that good.

The Rubank Advanced Method is woefully underappreciated.
Jupiter JTU1110
Conn 36K
DonO.

Post by DonO. »

For me, the most useful part of Rubank Advanced is the section on “Studies in Melodic Interpretation”. Now THESE are etudes that actually SOUND like music, and you can do musical things with them. They have structure. They have form. The melodies make musical sense. And the vast majority of them are fun to play. Kopprasch is dull, sounds like exercises. Bordogni and Blazhevich? Well, some are musical and fun, others are not. Some of the melodies in Rubank are so cool, I can imagine fleshing them out and expanding them into ensemble pieces.
King 2341 “new style”
Kanstul 902-3B
Conn Helleberg Standard 120- for the King.
Conn Helleberg 7B- for the Kanstul.
Looking for: minty Amati or Cerveny 681, Kanstul 902-4B
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

I don’t know about this book specifically, but I’ve heard that a books a bunch of those books that were developed during that era are anonymous tunes, duets, trios etc. found in Europe – probably written by people who died in WWII - either from being killed as a soldier, from being bombed, or from being exterminated.
(ie. no composer royalties) 😐