Question about the Geneva Cardinal a flat tuba Vs Besson Prestige

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
iCupboards
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Question about the Geneva Cardinal a flat tuba Vs Besson Prestige

Post by iCupboards »

Hey there. I am new here. I have a Besson Sovereign e-flat with a gold brass bell. I was wondering if anyone here owns or has tried a Geneva Cardinal e-flat tuba that had it compared with a Besson Sovereign e-flat tuba? I would love to know what you think of the Geneva!

bloke
Mid South Music

Re: Question about the Geneva Cardinal a flat tuba Vs Besson Prestige

Post by bloke »

I've never played these, and I also have a question...

Are there made in the Czech Republic?
iCupboards

Post by iCupboards »

bloke wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 2:28 pm I've never played these, and I also have a question...

Not sure!
Estubist

Post by Estubist »

bloke wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 2:28 pm I've never played these, and I also have a question...

In 2018 I had an opportunity to play a Cerveny emperor which was called to be similar to the Geneva Symphony, so maybe ...?
Schenkelaars rotary Eb, Cerveny BBb, Thomann 4+1 comp. Eb
Fivevalves

Post by Fivevalves »

Kraslice according to their website - I tried a Geneva EEb a few months ago at Hayes Music (UK) whilst I was getting my Meinl Weston serviced. I thought it was pretty decent and at least as good, if not better, than some of the Sovereigns I've played. Quite easy upper register and not overly stuffy at the bottom, 4th valve neck of the woods, decent intonation (nothing is perfect) & I see there is a version with a main tuning slide trigger (similar to some Euph's) that could be interesting. If I was in the market for a new 3+1 I would would definitely have it on my shortlist
Willson 3400 EEb
Meinl Weston Spezial 2040/5 "Mr Tuba"
Wessex Dolce Euphonium
More mouthpieces than I care to count....
iCupboards

Post by iCupboards »

Fivevalves wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 2:39 am Kraslice according to their website - I tried a Geneva EEb a few months ago at Hayes Music (UK) whilst I was getting my Meinl Weston serviced. I thought it was pretty decent and at least as good, if not better, than some of the Sovereigns I've played. Quite easy upper register and not overly stuffy at the bottom, 4th valve neck of the woods, decent intonation (nothing is perfect) & I see there is a version with a main tuning slide trigger (similar to some Euph's) that could be interesting. If I was in the market for a new 3+1 I would would definitely have it on my shortlist
Thanks for your insight, this sounds promising! Do you know whether this Geneva you tried was a Cardinal (goldbrass bell) or a Symphony? Thanks!
Fivevalves

Post by Fivevalves »

Willson 3400 EEb
Meinl Weston Spezial 2040/5 "Mr Tuba"
Wessex Dolce Euphonium
More mouthpieces than I care to count....
hubert

Post by hubert »

As far as I am informed, production of Geneva Brass is incorporated in/uses facilities as well as staff of the Amati/Cerveny complex at Kraslice (Czechia). The exact business relation is not clear to me: some time ago the company advertised itself as "owner" of the Kraslice factory. But since Amati nowadays is in Czech hands again, I would guess Geneva is a regular customer/contract partner of Amati/Cerveny.
Anyhow, to me no doubt the Geneva euphonium is a direct descendant of the Cerveny euphonium, with somewhat higher quality of workmanship (kind of premium class), features of outward appearance and choices of materials.
Hubert