Carol Jantsch’s playing position.

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
DonO.

Carol Jantsch’s playing position.

Post by DonO. »

Since returning to tuba playing, I have tried to keep all four of my fingers on all four valve buttons all the time. But this is not easy for me, especially with my King. When I had a rotary horn, the buttons were closer together and better for my smallish hands than the pistons of the King. Well, then I saw a video of Carol Jantsch playing. She plays a Yamaha with pistons in the front, similar set up to mine. Not sure of the Yamaha model though. Anyway, I noticed that she keeps her fingers on valves 1-3, but her little finger stays pretty much beside her ring finger and only comes out when it’s needed. Far be it from me to criticize Carol Jantsch’s technique, but what do the rest of you think of that? If I played like that it would certainly be easier on my hand. I appreciate any input. I am trying to get a consistent and sensible playing position that becomes habitual. Thank you.

Additional- also noticed that if she is playing a passage that uses mostly 1 and 2, she brings her 3rd finger in and plays 2nd valve with both 2nd and 3rd fingers.
Last edited by DonO. on Mon Jun 20, 2022 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

King 2341 “new style”
Kanstul 902-3B
Conn Helleberg Standard 120- for the King.
Conn Helleberg 7B- for the Kanstul.
Looking for: minty Amati or Cerveny 681, Kanstul 902-4B
bloke
Mid South Music

Re: Carol Jantsch’s playing position.

Post by bloke »

I guess I think about the same thing as I do about the tubas that they choose to use…’ works for them.
These users thanked the author bloke for the post:
DonO. (Tue Jun 21, 2022 6:31 am)
Three Valves

Post by Three Valves »

If one is going though an entire piece or passage above the forth valve C on a BBb tuba, yeah, give the pinky a rest. :tuba:

Ring finger may take time off playing in F. But never in G, or Db.

I try not to play that high. I’m still trying to hit my Gs and As with consistency. :red:

Not today. Maybe next week…
Last edited by Three Valves on Tue Jun 21, 2022 6:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
These users thanked the author Three Valves for the post:
Thought Criminal
Mack Brass Artiste
TU422L with TU25
1964 Conn 36k with CB Arnold Jacobs
Accent (By B&S) 952R with Bach12
The Fourth Estate is the Fifth Column
Rick Denney
Resident Genius

Post by Rick Denney »

Technique serves product. Judge the product.

Whatever she’s doing is obviously right, at least for her.

Rick “who wishes he could produce 1% of that product, but pinky discipline ain’t the reason he can’t” Denney
These users thanked the author Rick Denney for the post:
hrender

Post by hrender »

She's not the only pro player who doesn't keep their fingers glued to the appropriate buttons/paddles. Check out Messrs. Fletcher, Baadsvik and Pilafian.

Here's another. Seems to be a lot of pros don't care what you do with your fingers when they're not actually pushing a specific button:

Last edited by hrender on Tue Jun 21, 2022 12:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
These users thanked the author hrender for the post:
bort2.0

Post by bort2.0 »

I can't say I've ever paid much attention to finger positioning. I think it's robotic and unnatural to keep your fingers resting on the buttons or paddles at ALL times.

But conversely, it doesn't need to be a Liberace-style flamboyance about using the valves.

Or some ham-handed smacking of buttons, as much as that's what people think we do back there.

Just be a human and play it without overthinking it. You'll know if you're doing it wrong.
These users thanked the author bort2.0 for the post:
tofu

Post by tofu »

Last edited by tofu on Sun Jun 25, 2023 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author tofu for the post:
DonO. (Tue Jun 21, 2022 6:32 am)
matt g

Post by matt g »

DonO. wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 5:37 pm Since returning to tuba playing, I have tried to keep all four of my fingers on all four valve buttons all the time. But this is not easy for me, especially with my King. When I had a rotary horn, the buttons were closer together and better for my smallish hands than the pistons of the King.
With most piston sets this is the case. Moreover, individual anthropometry will dictate adaptation to the fixed geometry of the orientation as well as past skills.

I had a tuba student that started piano lessons at a very young age. His father was a fine pianist and he was well on his way. He would sometimes do all kinds of stuff with his fingers based on what he thought was the best approach to the pattern. This was a kid nailing all of his scales with ease by 7th grade and placing himself into local youth orchestras and being in all-county/all-state bands.

I’ve also had students that needed a bit more of a disciplined approach to hand position so that they could have a more consistent outcome with technical playing.

Going back to anthropometry, there’s a lot of variation in hand sizes. The palm size and digit size can vary independently. Makes sense that people would do some interesting things to adapt as needed.
These users thanked the author matt g for the post:
DonO. (Tue Jun 21, 2022 6:32 am)
Dillon/Walters CC (sold)
Meinl-Weston 2165 (sold)
DonO.

Post by DonO. »

Interesting observations, all!

I think I am going to try following Carol’s example for a while, keeping the pinkie more relaxed and seeing if it makes a difference for me.
King 2341 “new style”
Kanstul 902-3B
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

I wonder if that person is even aware of what they’re doing with their last finger on their right hand.
It might be interesting to figure out a way to determine that before following their example.
kingrob76

Post by kingrob76 »

I suspect -

- she knows where her 4th valve is on the horn and in relation to her hand
- she's able to press it down when she needs to press it down
- she doesn't think about it in the slightest except when it needs pressing

In other words, I suspect this is not a conscious decision and just her body responding to what is being asked of it and the feedback it gets from playing.
Rob. Just Rob.
Rick Denney
Resident Genius

Post by Rick Denney »

kingrob76 wrote:I suspect -

- she knows where her 4th valve is on the horn and in relation to her hand
- she's able to press it down when she needs to press it down
- she doesn't think about it in the slightest except when it needs pressing

In other words, I suspect this is not a conscious decision and just her body responding to what is being asked of it and the feedback it gets from playing.
Yes. As I suggested, the more one thinks about finger placement, the less they are thinking about what’s important.

From left field: the great classically trained rock keyboardist Rick Wakeman stands at keyboards with his hands too high, too low, and arms too stretched out to meet any requirements of posture training a pianist would receive. He often holds his fingers straight with his knuckles locked. Yet his technique is blindingly fast and his musicianship superb.

Yes, there was probably a time in his early training when he did exercises to reinforce good technique habits. He says he still does them. But he obviously knows what is and isn’t important.

Rick “think about the product” Denney
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

Rick Denney wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 11:16 am
Rick “think about the product” Denney
THIS is why I get along WELL with THIS engineer...

...and why I troll some others.
Three Valves

Post by Three Valves »

"Process engineers" are the WORST!!

They can't comprehend that economies and people don't work the way "things" do. :coffee:
Thought Criminal
Mack Brass Artiste
TU422L with TU25
1964 Conn 36k with CB Arnold Jacobs
Accent (By B&S) 952R with Bach12
The Fourth Estate is the Fifth Column
GC

Post by GC »

This sounds like bass players minimizing finger stretches by closing finger spacing. You stretch out when needed and close in when possible. Staying stretched all the time is unnecessarily tiring, and it took years for me to realize how I was wasting effort.

For tubaists, those who put in enormous effort for the sake of total familiarity with a piece of music know when and where they need to relax and can afford to. Sometimes their hands are tired and sore. They know when to minimize effort and when not to.
Last edited by GC on Tue Jun 21, 2022 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author GC for the post:
DonO. (Wed Jun 22, 2022 6:40 am)
Packer/Sterling JP377 compensating Eb; Mercer & Barker MBUZ5 (Tim Buzbee "Lone ☆ Star" F-tuba mouthpiece), Mercer & Barker MB3; for sale: Conn Monster Eb 1914, Fillmore Bros 1/4 Eb ca. 1905 antique (still plays), Bach 42B trombone
donn

Post by donn »

Since this is leaning towards a typical festival of bloviation, I'll jump in the pool too! I may be barely able to play the tuba, and with long fingers anyway, but I can bloviate like anyone.

The degree to which Jantsch et al. are consciously aware of their hand position, is entirely immaterial, if it even means anything at all.

When we do anything practically at all, the central nervous system is fully involved. Maybe with the exception of muscular action involved in breathing, circulation and digestion. If we're talking about something like that, then sure, it's a point - Jantsch isn't conscious of her heart beating. Presumably. Most of the activity of playing the tuba, however, involves various parts of the brain, and any discussion of consciousness is accordingly going to be overly simplistic.

And in any case irrelevant. Jantsch has technique. Much of the point of technique, if not the whole point, is to establish a way of doing things that works, as a dependable reflex with less conscious monitoring. The question as I understand it, is really whether the common technique practice of holding each finger on its corresponding piston button, is really preferred, and the answer seems to be "no." Because Jantsch and other good tuba players apparently haven't made that part of their technique. Over simplified? Maybe, but there's nothing about it that has anything to do with how conscious they are of it.
These users thanked the author donn for the post:
russiantuba

Post by russiantuba »

I suspect the OP is referring to her hand position on the YFB 822 she plays. I would be curious if this transfers over to her Nirschl York.

Having studied long term with one of her long-term teachers, I would bet that hand position was mentioned. The YFB 822 valve angle is very weird for me, and when I have played one, I would notice that my fingers would not rest on the third and fourth valves.
These users thanked the author russiantuba for the post:
Dr. James M. Green
Lecturer in Music--Ohio Northern University
Adjunct Professor of Music--Ohio Christian University
Gronitz PF 125
Miraphone 1291CC
Miraphone Performing Artist
www.russiantuba.com
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

well, you know, I play the violin and I certainly don't have my fingers directly over the notes I'm going to play. On violin, those notes are all over the fingerboard. I just have to know where they are.
Same with piano, 88 keys and ten fingers, yet look at what they can do.
I think you made yourself a rule for some reason that maybe isn't serving you very well. If I were your teacher, I'd say relax and just play the music.
These users thanked the author Mary Ann for the post:
tubanh84

Post by tubanh84 »

I'm big enough to admit I have small hands. And, in particular, short fingers.

I watched some videos of Ms. Jantsch playing. Her hands don't look a lot different than mine.

So having said that - I do what she does. It isn't comfortable for me to keep my fingers on all the valves all the time, especially on pistons. I have to ever-so-slightly stretch my pinky, and it's not feasible 100% of the time. I never miss any notes, even during fast passages, despite having to move my pinky back into place before depressing the fourth valve. And having my pinky on the fourth valve all the time would be mid-to-high-range runs more difficult.
These users thanked the author tubanh84 for the post:
DonO. (Wed Jun 22, 2022 6:39 am)
DonO.

Post by DonO. »

I think that this has been a great discussion! Very enlightening!

I have seen in this discussion several times some variation of “Don’t judge the process, judge the product”. This brought to mind something from many years ago that my undergraduate private teacher used to say: “Sounds good, IS good”. I had forgotten that, it this discussion brought it back to me.

I asked the original question not because I was judging the process. But if you think about it, every little thing we do as musicians is a series of habits that add up to a sum greater than the parts that go into it. I simply wondered if, having seen an undeniably fine player doing this, perhaps I could do something similar to give me a more relaxed right hand, which could lead to cleaner fast passages, and thus a better end product. So you see, I AM concerned with the product.

I am going to try the more relaxed hand approach, and see if it works for me. :tuba:
King 2341 “new style”
Kanstul 902-3B