Sellmansberger Tuba Mouthpieces

For Tuba/Euphonium retail products and services.

Moderator: Retail Partner

bloke
Mid South Music

Sellmansberger Tuba Mouthpieces

Post by bloke »

Hey...
Our mouthpieces aren't just for professionals;
they're for REALLY GOOD tuba players, too !

Doc

Re: Sellmansberger Tuba Mouthpieces

Post by Doc »

They're even good for those of us who don't qualify as "professional" or "really good." :smilie7:
Welcome to Browntown!
Home of the Brown Note!
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

What percentage of "professional" players are ALSO "really good"...??

bloke "a graph, with two partially-overlapping circles"

Doc

Post by Doc »

How about a new slogan, but from a different, yet accurate, angle that applies to all:

“Sellmansberger Mouthpieces.
Helping you suck less since 2014.”

Or whenever you started.
Welcome to Browntown!
Home of the Brown Note!
JRaymo

Post by JRaymo »

Ive tried a lot of different mouthpieces over the years. The imperial is my forever mouthpiece.
These users thanked the author JRaymo for the post:
the elephant (Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:20 pm)
bort2.0

Post by bort2.0 »

Doc wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:27 pm “Sellmansberger Mouthpieces.
Helping you suck less since 2014.”
I love slogans like this, because I interpret them as "Before 2014, they didn't help at all!" :laugh:
These users thanked the author bort2.0 for the post:
Doc (Tue Nov 16, 2021 4:18 pm)
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

I wish I could talk more people into just using the #2 profile rim (which certainly would allow for a reduction in inventory).
People typically pick the rim that's most like that to which they are accustomed, but - when they happen to try someone's else #2 profile rim - I get an email asking about it...or they start posting, and asking if anyone has one used (often: requesting incorrect nomenclature).

Compared to most rims, it's narrow, NOT very sharp-cornered, and asymmetrical (falls away from the player's face, towards the outside).
After several decades, it allowed me to eliminate an annoying "embouchure shift"...because the narrow and very-low-friction rim profile (sure: combined with always-smooth stainless steel) allows me to slide the mouthpiece across the skin on the facial indention above the chin.

Further (though: whatever :eyes: ), I wish more would embrace the fact that a mouthpiece doesn't vibrate, nor "transfer energy" to the instrument body (and that a brass instrument barely vibrates - whereas it is the air column that vibrates), and that a harder and oxidation-resistant metal (polished to a very smooth surface, with no soft-metal microscopically-thin coating required) is going to offer a player much better service - certainly over the years...and certainly - at least - the rim. ...but people believe all sorts of things that aren't so, and that's because we're "people".
russiantuba

Post by russiantuba »

I tried the No. 2 rim ages ago. It was a bit weird for me, seeing how the first tuba mouthpiece I ever played was a Miraphone C4 and have spent most of my playing career on rims based off of that (whatever floats your boat).

The only thing I might do to my mouthpieces is get a gold titanium plating for my CC to match my F, because it looks cool. Joe makes good, very versatile mouthpieces that make me set and forget. I should probably get duplicates if something were to happen and he stopped making them (hoping this never happens).
Dr. James M. Green
Lecturer in Music--Ohio Northern University
Adjunct Professor of Music--Ohio Christian University
Gronitz PF 125
Miraphone 1291CC
Miraphone Performing Artist
www.russiantuba.com
the elephant

Post by the elephant »

My main pieces all are Sellmansberger models.

I use a single-piece Solo from the first production batch (pre-beer mug) with my Holton 345. It is by far the best choice I have here for that tuba. It just works.

I like the #1 rim quite a bit as it works well with my teeth and lips. (semi-flat — 33.2 mm) This is the rim I have on all of my mouthpieces.

I use a three-piece Symphony with my pair of Miraphone 186s. This was the one I had the most difficulty settling on. I guess I did not "get" it at first. Now I will not use anything else in tubas of that design. I used it in my Mack 410, too, as well as a Cerveny "Piggy" I owned a number of years ago. (Sold the "pig", kept the Symphony. Huh…)

I also have a three-piece Orchestra Grand that I fool around with but do not use permanently on any of my current tubas. I used it on the 6 valved 2165 he built, but I used a Symphony shank. I came up with this independently, however, Joe told me that was what he used on that tuba, too. It is funny how some tubas will clearly tell you what they want plugged into the small end…

I have a three-piece Solo that involved some guesswork by both Dave and Joe, as neither of them could find records of the dimensions used for the original Solo. There are two possible rims and two shanks, and I think I ended up with the "other" shank. I do not care for it as much as the one-piece Solo. I need to get off my butt and call Joe to order the one I do not have to see if that fixes it. I currently use this three-piece Solo in my F tuba.

I still own many mouthpieces, but I generally only use my Sellmansberger mouthpieces these days. Trust me: buy them directly from Joe. You will be happier, I think. So will Joe.

So my eventual shopping list for Joe will include that other Solo shank, a #2 rim, and a complete Imperial. I might try a cup extender, too, just for fun, like a throttle body spacer. VROOM!

:cheers:
tofu

Post by tofu »

Last edited by tofu on Mon Dec 13, 2021 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author tofu for the post:
the elephant (Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:08 am)
Doc

Post by Doc »

the elephant wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:59 pm I might try a cup extender, too, just for fun, like a throttle body spacer. VROOM!
I can attest to this phenomenon. On both Jeeps and Blokepieces. That added cylindrical depth makes a difference. Joe said it can make it into more of a “power” mouthpiece. My set up for the Hagen (3pc Solo, Profundo rim/ext ring, #2 euro shank) definitely delivers the guts and depth I hoped for. The same setup in a 2pc was the perfect combination for the B&S Kaiser. For whatever reason, the 3pc didn’t have the extra mojo for that tuba, but the 3pc is the match for the Hagen. 🤷🏻‍♂️ At least we have choices. Get a ring and try it out.
These users thanked the author Doc for the post:
the elephant (Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:08 am)
Welcome to Browntown!
Home of the Brown Note!
Doc

Post by Doc »

tofu wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:38 am Also make excellent concealed carry weapons - no permit needed - legal in all 50 states. Just drop in an over the calf dress sock and swing away. Sure to drop any bum in his tracks when whacked upside the head in the midst of a tubajacking of your horn. :laugh:

I use the #2 rim on both my solo and Imperial. I find the Imperial works well in a lot of horns. I use it a lot in my 185.
A pistol in one pocket, a blokepiece in the other...

:huh: :huh: :huh:

Well... I guess I need to find a tube sock!
These users thanked the author Doc for the post:
TubātōTubŏtō (Mon Feb 28, 2022 8:12 am)
Welcome to Browntown!
Home of the Brown Note!
the elephant

Post by the elephant »

Who needs to carry a roll of quarters or a blackjack when they have a stainless steel blokepiece?
These users thanked the author the elephant for the post:
iiipopes (Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:29 am)
Casca Grossa

Post by Casca Grossa »

Since I only use my Blokepiece and would hate to damage it, how would you repair gugrus suggest attaching a chain and handle on my old Monette? If I'm using a mouthpiece as a cocealed weapon, I'm going medievil.
Mirafone 184 CC
Blokepiece Imperial
Soon to be 5 valve Lignatone/Amati Eb
Blokepiece Solo
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

sounds to me as though you might (??) be ready to step up to the glitter-gold Kellieburgh.
Casca Grossa wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:43 am Since I only use my Blokepiece and would hate to damage it, how would you repair gugrus suggest attaching a chain and handle on my old Monette? If I'm using a mouthpiece as a cocealed weapon, I'm going medievil.
These users thanked the author bloke for the post:
Casca Grossa (Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:16 pm)
cjk

Post by cjk »

@bloke There used to be a comprehensive list of offerings that I used to frequently refer back to. Could you possibly post something like that again sometime?
These users thanked the author cjk for the post (total 2):
the elephant (Thu Dec 09, 2021 8:28 pm) • bloke (Thu Dec 09, 2021 9:22 pm)
Ricardo

Post by Ricardo »

Just played my first orchestra concert in maybe 5 years on a new to me 6/4 C tuba with 18” bell. Just an amateur orchestra that was down on numbers. Use the imperial mouthpiece with middle sized #2 rim. All mostly middle of the register stuff, nothing below low G and had to play a C# above the ledger line for the soli in Pacific 321 by Honneger. Perfect mouthpiece for the job. Smaller diameter rim made it easy to control and narrow-ish rim add flexibility.
These users thanked the author Ricardo for the post:
bort2.0 (Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:13 am)
Boomer

Post by Boomer »

Casca Grossa wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:43 am Since I only use my Blokepiece and would hate to damage it, how would you repair gugrus suggest attaching a chain and handle on my old Monette? If I'm using a mouthpiece as a cocealed weapon, I'm going medievil.
Run an eye bolt through with the eye at the end of the throat

Nut and washer on end of bolt.

Chain with snap to eye, dog leash style.

Vary the chain for the occasion. :popcorn:
These users thanked the author Boomer for the post:
Casca Grossa (Mon Jul 18, 2022 7:51 pm)
cjk

Post by cjk »

cjk wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 7:58 pm @bloke There used to be a comprehensive list of offerings that I used to frequently refer back to. Could you possibly post something like that again sometime?
bump.
Grumpikins

Post by Grumpikins »

Do you have a trial assortment that someone can try out and choose what they like? That can be shipped out and back? Possibly with a refundable deposit?

Sent from my SM-J327VPP using Tapatalk

Meinl Weston 2145 CC
King Symphonic BBb circa 1936
Hopefully a pre WWII king Eb soon.... :teeth: