FS: 1983/84 Handmade Hirsbrunner HB-50, Mike Sanders personal stage/recording CC tuba. SOLD pending funds.

Read forum rules before posting.
Forum rules
This is for buying or selling your personal equipment, but sponsored selling is allowed as well. We are requiring all ads to have the following information. Price, (even for trades) Brand, Model, and location (for instruments, not accessories) need to be included in the ad, or at least be very clear in link provided. It is acceptable to link to an external ad if you are promoting a sale of your personal equipment. No Ebay Auctions, but Buy it now listings are fine. Photos are HIGHLY suggested as well. If you see an ad that does not meet these criteria, please report it.
NapoleonWilson

FS: 1983/84 Handmade Hirsbrunner HB-50, Mike Sanders personal stage/recording CC tuba. SOLD pending funds.

Post by NapoleonWilson »

Up For Sale is a handmade Hirsbrunner HB-50 from 1983/84. This instrument was the primary stage/recording HB-50 for Mike Sanders, formerly of the San Antonio, Utah, and St Louis Symphonies. Despite owing a few other HB-50’s over the years, this example was kept at Powell Hall for performances, while all others were kept at home for practice purposes.

This HB-50 was part of the third group imported in 1983/84, and it is in truly exemplary condition including the silver plating, which shows very very little wear. Minimal signs of dent/ding removal are seen on the large bowing, but again, this is minimal. The valve cluster, slide assemblies and circuitry are in outstanding condition. All slides move smoothly, and the valve action is great with no signs of sluggishness.

A few notes on modifications, namely the “Pokorny Mods”:
-larger 5th valve and 5th valve tubing
-smaller taper leadpipe
-conical main tuning slide
-pistons replated in 2005
-two very small patches on the 3rd valve circuitry, the result of installation and subsequent removal of Amado water keys
(Both patches were tested and are secure and tight)

I hadn’t played this instrument for probably 20 years, but I did have a chance to spend a bit of time play testing the tuba on 7/9 (using a PT-44 mouthpiece), and my thoughts are as follows, with my handmade 6450 being compared in my mind when doing so:
-pitch is very stable top to bottom. Very little slide pulling needed. Standard combinations work fine, and E/Eb in the staff are fine using open/2nd valve.

Surprisingly easy response in the low register. No “dead spot” around Bb-G below the staff, as is sometimes the case. Very open blowing down there.
-Tuba is very very flexible, both in terms of sonic capabilities and response.
-Sound is very very THICK and OPAQUE. There isn’t a hint of hollowness to the sound.
-outstanding response top to bottom. Very very even.
-***LONG STORY SHORT…….I do not believe there’s much of a learning curve for playing this HB-50***, and that’s about the best thing I can say about any tuba.

Better than taking it from me, I’d encourage anyone interested to listen to some of the many recordings on which this instrument can be heard. You can hear it on all Slatkin/SLSO recordings for November 1990 forward, and many ArchMedia recordings of more recent vintage, including Bruckner 4, Bruckner 7, and Tchaikovsky 4.

Considering the provenance and pedigree associated with this tuba, Mike would really like to get this horn in the hands of a current or future pro who will appreciate all that it has to offer. Included with the sale of the tuba will be a Walt Johnson Flight Case.

Acceptable forms of payment include Cashier’s Check, or PayPal. If using PayPal, please add 3% to total, as Friends and Family is not an option.

Asking price for this fine instrument is $16,500. Offers will be considered, but the sale will not be final until both parties recognize and agree upon the price.

The tuba can be play tested in suburban St Louis, Missouri. Shipping the tuba is possible, but the buyer should be aware that it will cost a substantial amount to do so, and will include insurance for the final dollar amount of the sale.

Feel free to PM me with any further questions.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/B7rfarkwFMsrUsr99
Last edited by NapoleonWilson on Mon Jul 18, 2022 7:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Meinl Weston 195P
B&S JBL Classics
bort2.0

Re: FS: 1983/84 Handmade Hirsbrunner HB-50, Mike Sanders personal stage/recording CC tuba. $16,500

Post by bort2.0 »

FYI, to anyone curious, this seller is ckalaher1 on the old site, a long-time member over there.

A stunningly beautiful tuba!
prairieboy1

Re: FS: 1983/84 Handmade Hirsbrunner HB-50, Mike Sanders personal stage/recording CC tuba. $16,500

Post by prairieboy1 »

Wow! :drool: :clap: :clap: :clap:
1916 Holton "Mammoth" 3 valve BBb Upright Bell Tuba
1935 King "Symphony" Bass 3 valve BBb Tuba
1998 King "2341" 4 valve BBb Tuba
1970 Yamaha "321" 4 valve BBb Tuba (Yard Goat)
The Big Ben

Post by The Big Ben »

Whee!
Sousaswag

Post by Sousaswag »

I bought my MRP from Casey… THE easiest tuba transaction I’ve ever made, and that tuba is everything he said it was. If I had the $$ and needed a tuba like this, I wouldn’t hesitate to jump on it. Just based on what it is I sort of want it!

Regardless, don’t hesitate to purchase anything from Casey. He knows his stuff and won’t steer you wrong!
Meinl Weston 2165
B&M CC
Willson 3200RZ-5
Holton 340
Holton 350
Pan-American Eb
King Medium Eb
NapoleonWilson

Re: FS: 1983/84 Handmade Hirsbrunner HB-50, Mike Sanders personal stage/recording CC tuba. SOLD pending funds.

Post by NapoleonWilson »

This tuba is SOLD, pending funds.
Meinl Weston 195P
B&S JBL Classics
bort2.0

Re: FS: 1983/84 Handmade Hirsbrunner HB-50, Mike Sanders personal stage/recording CC tuba. SOLD pending funds.

Post by bort2.0 »

Congrats!

I'm sure I'm not going to find out... But sure would like to k ow where this ended up!