Martin BBb tuba question

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
bort2.0

Martin BBb tuba question

Post by bort2.0 »

Was playing my Martin Medium Eb for a little while today, such a fun tuba!

Did Martin make a Medium sized BBb as well? If I were someday able to find a front action 4 valve Medium sized Martin BBb that might be pretty sweet.

I didn't spend much time on Google for this, but didn't find much. Just the 6/4 top action BBb's or Lenny Jung's front action 6/4.

bloke
Mid South Music

Re: Martin BBb tuba question

Post by bloke »

I’d have to believe that - as they made a fiberglass tuba that was medium size in B-flat, surely they made a brass one as well.
matt g

Post by matt g »

https://www.saxophone.org/museum/publications/id/63

Page 17. Also, on the page with the cases (p. 24), you can see an actual photo of a medium sized BBb with 4 front action valves in a case.
Dillon/Walters CC (sold)
Meinl-Weston 2165 (sold)
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

I see that it included an extension for low pitch.
matt g

Post by matt g »

bloke wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 6:13 am I see that it included an extension for low pitch.
Indeed! That catalog is from 1916, so right in the middle of those transition times.

I couldn’t find a brass wind catalog in the 20/30s on that site. I think the next one was in the 50s?

Nonetheless, they likely made some, but who knows how many and where they ended up. It looks like a solid design from proportions and valve layout. Not unlike someone’s compact Holton/King creation.

It would be cool if someone had one in good shape.
Dillon/Walters CC (sold)
Meinl-Weston 2165 (sold)
York-aholic

Post by York-aholic »

Yes, they made ‘Medium’ BBb in both top and front action. I had a 3v top action w/fixed upright bell (21” or so) and a 3v front action with detachable recording bell.

I absolutely loved the sound of the top upright bell horn. The horn was just a tad larger than a York model 33. Frank Ortega had one converted to front action with King valves by Martin Wilk and was very fond of it.

The front action was also similar size to a King 1240, maybe a scootch bigger. The valves were more on the diagonal than the vertical layout of the Kings. I enjoyed playing that horn also. I believe both horns were in the .689 bore range.

Front action:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1PNOHY7 ... p=drivesdk
Some old Yorks, Martins, and perhaps a King rotary valved CC
MartinMan
Has thanked: 0

Post by MartinMan »

I don't have a 4 valve version but I do have a front action 3 valve example. I'll attach photos here later when I get the chance.
bort2.0

Post by bort2.0 »

MartinMan wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 8:59 am I don't have a 4 valve version but I do have a front action 3 valve example. I'll attach photos here later when I get the chance.
Thanks! I'd love to see it.

Glad to know these exist, although it sounds like it might take a little patience to track one down. Or for that matter, any front-action Martin seems harder to find... I was just in the right place at the right time for my Eb.

I was again surprised by the Eb yesterday, such an easy tuba to play and such a nice sound. Very much "medium" and needs a little more meat down low to be fully functional. If the BBb is like a bigger version of the Eb... :huh:
humBell

Post by humBell »

I probably have the sousaphone equivalent of a Martin medium. But perhaps not exactly, as its bell is only 20".

Yup, definitely a playah.
"All art is one." -Hal
York-aholic

Post by York-aholic »

My Medium BBb 3v front action recording bell (suspect a King Upright bell would be a bit small at the small end) went to Lee Stofer. You might check with him to see where it went from there.

It fit in (and shipped in) King 1240 cases.
hrender

Post by hrender »

I have seen them only occasionally for sale. I don't think I've seen one publicly for sale in 4-5 years at least, but they may trade hands privately between individual Martin collectors.

Pix I saved from one I saw for sale a while back:
Martin_Medium_BBb.jpg
Martin_Medium_BBb.jpg (21.35 KiB) Viewed 1297 times
Attachments
Martin_Medium_BBb_2.jpg
Martin_Medium_BBb_2.jpg (20.4 KiB) Viewed 1297 times
bort2.0

Post by bort2.0 »

hrender wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 11:27 am I have seen them only occasionally for sale. I don't think I've seen one publicly for sale in 4-5 years at least, but they may trade hands privately between individual Martin collectors.

Martin_Medium_BBb.jpg
Nice looking horn!

I remember there was a large 4v front action at Dillon or BBC a while back (not Lenny Jung's horn), and it sat for a little while before it sold.
York-aholic

Post by York-aholic »

bort2.0 wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 1:20 pm
hrender wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 11:27 am I have seen them only occasionally for sale. I don't think I've seen one publicly for sale in 4-5 years at least, but they may trade hands privately between individual Martin collectors.

Martin_Medium_BBb.jpg
Nice looking horn!

I remember there was a large 4v front action at Dillon or BBC a while back (not Lenny Jung's horn), and it sat for a little while before it sold.
If the one you are thinking of was silver (with the silver worn of the valve tubing crooks) and a fixed upright bell, I seem to think that was a 6/4 rather than the Medium.
LargeTuba

Post by LargeTuba »

York-aholic wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:10 pm If the one you are thinking of was silver (with the silver worn of the valve tubing crooks) and a fixed upright bell, I seem to think that was a 6/4 rather than the Medium.

There was also a 4/4 Martin CC there I think.

You missed the boat on this cool Martin 4/4 BBb with Nirschl Valves that was recently sold. It now belongs a guy in Minnesota (I think). Maybe you know him?

Also, side note, I ended up with those Nirschl valves on the martin through a crazy set of circumstances and trades.

You could also wait for Sam Gnagey to finish his recent Martin 6/4 project. Its already looking pretty darn sweet!

These users thanked the author LargeTuba for the post:
York-aholic (Tue Oct 04, 2022 12:43 pm)
Pt-6P, Holton 345 CC, 45slp
hrender

Post by hrender »

Update to an old thread: I noted Lee Stofer had a Martin Mammoth and a quartet of fiberglass Mediums (Media?) on his “Instruments in Process” page:

https://tubameister.com/instruments-in-process/
These users thanked the author hrender for the post:
York-aholic (Wed Nov 15, 2023 8:15 pm)
TheHatTuba

Post by TheHatTuba »

Now that you know they exist, ask about the rotary version. It's Martin, so there might be some out there :bugeyes: