Breakfast near Dillon

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
tubanh84

Breakfast near Dillon

Post by tubanh84 »

Got a trip back east this week, and I have some time to kill. I'm landing in Newark at about 6:05am. Just booked an appointment at Dillon at 10am. Any good places in Woodbridge to get a coffee and breakfast that anyone can suggest?

The purpose of the visit is to test out some mouthpieces on the 184 they have in stock there. But if there are any horns anyone is looking at and wants some input on, I'm happy to spare a few minutes.

Druzone
Has thanked: 0

Re: Breakfast near Dillon

Post by Druzone »

The famed Reo Diner! Right around the corner (392 Amboy Ave).
These users thanked the author Druzone for the post (total 2):
Three Valves (Wed Sep 28, 2022 12:41 pm) • tubanh84 (Thu Sep 29, 2022 11:38 am)
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

...speaking of which, here's another tuba player playing at Dylan's music:

arpthark

Post by arpthark »

bloke wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 1:30 pm ...speaking of which, here's another tuba player playing at Dylan's music:

They booed when Dylan went electric; what if he had gone tuba instead?
These users thanked the author arpthark for the post:
bloke (Wed Sep 28, 2022 2:09 pm)
bort2.0

Post by bort2.0 »

Druzone wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 12:25 pm The famed Reo Diner! Right around the corner (392 Amboy Ave).
Not just breakfast, but breakfast all day!
These users thanked the author bort2.0 for the post:
tubanh84 (Thu Sep 29, 2022 11:39 am)
The Big Ben

Post by The Big Ben »

bloke wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 1:30 pm ...speaking of which, here's another tuba player playing at Dylan's music:

Should have hired Ed "Tuba Man" McMichael. He was still alive then.
tubanh84

Post by tubanh84 »

Here I sit. I went with the Irish omelette with rye toast. I’ll report back.
arpthark

Post by arpthark »

tubanh84 wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 6:15 am Here I sit. I went with the Irish omelette with rye toast. I’ll report back.
Glad you made it! Take a toot on those demo Eastman 832 and 632s they just posted if you have a chance. I might make the two hour trip down at some point the next few weeks; they have piqued my interest.
bort2.0

Post by bort2.0 »

Tell me what that B&M is all about...?

Or the Martin Eb (the 3+1 sibling of my tuba)
tubanh84

Post by tubanh84 »

Diner was great. Unforced error on my part getting a corned beef omelette after a red eye flight. But I take full responsibility for that.
These users thanked the author tubanh84 for the post:
arpthark (Fri Sep 30, 2022 7:36 am)
arpthark

Post by arpthark »

If you see any Italian guys sitting around outside Satriale's Pork Store, be sure to give them a wide berth.

Sorry, all of my New Jersey knowledge comes from the Sopranos.
Three Valves

Post by Three Valves »

arpthark wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 7:38 am
Sorry, all of my New Jersey knowledge comes from the Sopranos.
It's all true! :laugh:
Thought Criminal
Mack Brass Artiste
TU422L with TU25
1964 Conn 36k with CB Arnold Jacobs
Accent (By B&S) 952R with Bach12
The Fourth Estate is the Fifth Column
tubanh84

Post by tubanh84 »

Had a great visit. Had a 90 minute slot from 10-11:30.

Matt Walters was amazingly gracious and had mouthpieces selected and lined up for me when I got there. Chatted about the benefits of cruises as vacations.

Because he has to wash out any horns that are played I restricted my normal urge to play everything. Sorry I couldn’t make good on most of the requests.

The 185 CC was mostly a fine Miraphone. Much bigger than my 184. It had horrendous intonation on the E Eb and D in the staff. Half step off. Had to use alternate fingerings. I wouldn’t buy this horn because of those notes. But the sound was good, low range popped, and it was a well put together horn. Just….lord that intonation.

I played a bunch of mouthpieces on it, narrowed them down to a TU23 and TU28. Left with the 28.

I then played a lacquer 832 he had there. Lord what a horn. Wow. I was exhausted, had never played it, and just spent an hour on a different horn with different mouthpieces and it was plug and play. I would have sight read a concert on it. Great sound. Crazy good intonation. Played all 5 G’s easily. Nothing but good things to say about it. Apparently the bell rings when you play a high Bb, but Matt put a rubber ring on it which stopped the issue. He said it’s one of the 2 or 3 best he’s played and I’ll believe him.

He had also just taken delivery of an enormous Buescher sousaphone that he’s going to repair and then put up for sale on consignment. I got a picture of myself with it but it’s too big to attach here. I’ll post it elsewhere and link to it in a bit.
These users thanked the author tubanh84 for the post (total 2):
arpthark (Fri Sep 30, 2022 11:29 am) • Mary Ann (Sun Oct 02, 2022 1:34 pm)
arpthark

Post by arpthark »

tubanh84 wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 11:23 am Had a great visit. Had a 90 minute slot from 10-11:30.

Matt Walters was amazingly gracious and had mouthpieces selected and lined up for me when I got there. Chatted about the benefits of cruises as vacations.

Because he has to wash out any horns that are played I restricted my normal urge to play everything. Sorry I couldn’t make good on most of the requests.

The 185 CC was mostly a fine Miraphone. Much bigger than my 184. It had horrendous intonation on the E Eb and D in the staff. Half step off. Had to use alternate fingerings. I wouldn’t buy this horn because of those notes. But the sound was good, low range popped, and it was a well put together horn. Just….lord that intonation.

I played a bunch of mouthpieces on it, narrowed them down to a TU23 and TU28. Left with the 28.

I then played a lacquer 832 he had there. Lord what a horn. Wow. I was exhausted, had never played it, and just spent an hour on a different horn with different mouthpieces and it was plug and play. I would have sight read a concert on it. Great sound. Crazy good intonation. Played all 5 G’s easily. Nothing but good things to say about it. Apparently the bell rings when you play a high Bb, but Matt put a rubber ring on it which stopped the issue. He said it’s one of the 2 or 3 best he’s played and I’ll believe him.

He had also just taken delivery of an enormous Buescher sousaphone that he’s going to repair and then put up for sale on consignment. I got a picture of myself with it but it’s too big to attach here. I’ll post it elsewhere and link to it in a bit.
At least you got some time on the 832! That is one I am really interested in.

Sorry the 185 was a no-go. Sounds like you had a good time, regardless. Matt is the man. Thanks for the write-up!
tubanh84

Post by tubanh84 »

If you knew you wanted a 4/4 CC in that style, you could buy that lacquer one blind.
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

Whew and thanks about the info on the 185. I had looked at it online and even talked to Matt; he said nothing about the wonky intonation but I did not directly ask. Too bad they get stuck with instruments with that kind of problem that they have to sell for enormous amounts of money. Play test, play test, play test. Yikes.
arpthark

Post by arpthark »

Welp, arpthark is in the CC market, is hijacking @tubanh84's thread, and is going to brave the outrageous snarl of I-95 traffic through the NYC metro area to make an appointment at Dillon next Monday.

I have the 832 mentioned above reserved to try out. The silver 632 got bought out from under me on eBay.

Also planning on taking a toot on the (lacquer!) Kalison DS (a hair overpriced IMO, but curious) and the new Miraphone 188 they have in stock.

@bort2.0, I'll try out the B&M and Martin Eb if you want and if Matt isn't too terribly put out by the prospect of rinsing out two extra tubas.