Rudolph Mienl CC tuba

For posting interesting and remarkable deals found on the internet.
LargeTuba

Rudolph Mienl CC tuba

Post by LargeTuba »

https://www.ebay.com/itm/403990037150?m ... media=COPY
Can a Rudy expert tell me if this a real Rudy? And if so, what size?

Thanks

Pt-6P, Holton 345 CC, 45slp
bort2.0

Re: Rudolph Mienl CC tuba

Post by bort2.0 »

It looks like an old 3/4 or 4/4 BBb to me.

Generally speaking, but maybe different for really old ones, their BBb tubas have a horizontal MTS and their CC tubas have a vertical MTS. I've also never seen a 4 valve Rudy CC, but that's not to say one has never existed.
arpthark

Post by arpthark »

Wonder if @Lee Stofer has any insight.
York-aholic

Post by York-aholic »

bort2.0 wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 7:10 pm It looks like an old 3/4 or 4/4 BBb to me.

Generally speaking, but maybe different for really old ones, their BBb tubas have a horizontal MTS and their CC tubas have a vertical MTS. I've also never seen a 4 valve Rudy CC, but that's not to say one has never existed.
I was thinking similar. The kink in the leadpipe before it enters the valves and the kink in the tubing between #4 and the MTS are obvious clues when differentiating BBb vs CC Miraphones, the CC tubas don’t have the extra kinks, the are basically both circa 90 degree bends on Miraphone CC tubas.

Having said all that the MTS looks wide for a Miraphone and they didn’t use a brace on the MTS.
Some old Yorks, Martins, and perhaps a King rotary valved CC
TheBerlinerTuba
specializing in reproductions of historical tubas and restorations

Post by TheBerlinerTuba »

This tuba was more likely made in the 1930s by the company Ullmann of Leipzig. I have an almost identical BBb version currently in for repairs. On this horn, the paddle assembly has been replaced as the originals were clocksprings. If you look closely you can see the spacers installed on the bridge braces.
These users thanked the author TheBerlinerTuba for the post (total 3):
York-aholic (Sun Nov 13, 2022 8:00 pm) • hrender (Tue Nov 15, 2022 8:24 am) • bisontuba (Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:25 am)
LargeTuba

Post by LargeTuba »

TheBerlinerTuba wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 7:27 pm This tuba was more likely made in the 1930s by the company Ullmann of Leipzig. I have an almost identical BBb version currently in for repairs. On this horn, the paddle assembly has been replaced as the originals were clocksprings. If you look closely you can see the spacers installed on the bridge braces.
Is the instrument you have any good?
Pt-6P, Holton 345 CC, 45slp
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

I was holding my tongue, but I'm glad that someone else spoke up.
cjk

Post by cjk »

not a Rudolf Meinl tuba.
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

I long-disconnected friend, Leonard Swanson (Michigan origins - met him at Interlochen nearly a half-century ago and haven't seen nor spoken to him since) owned a "3/4" (defacto 4/4) OLD-STYLE (shorter upper bow, horizontal slide, and with kranz - ie. "more miraphone-ish") Rudolf Meinl C tuba.

I reached out to him (found him on facebook) and asked him if that instrument resembled his in any way...as - to me - I screams, "HEY: NOT !!!"

He told me that it's been an awfully long time (he sold it three years later), but (not a direct quote) it just didn't look right to him.

It may (??) well be a good instrument...
Lee Stofer

Post by Lee Stofer »

Sorry to be so late to the party (!)

The tuba in question does not in any way resemble a Rudolf Meinl that I've seen.

The braces look very much like Alexander braces. Rudolf Meinl has employed braces like that on a very, very few tubas. The horn is likely 75 years old, and at the time this was likely made, the original Rudolf Meinl was not labeling them with Rudolf Meinl, but rather with "RudMeDies", a contraction of Rudolf Meinl, Diespeck.

I suspect that the instrument has had a bit of modification, not only of the rotor linkage being upgraded from Medieval to merely antique, but also I doubt that the original bell had a French (plain, rolled) bell rim. Perhaps they have put a newer Rudolf Meinl bell on it. I would say, check it out before you buy.
tuba
Lurker
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by tuba »

>> I've also never seen a 4 valve Rudy CC

I've personally owned 2 mid-'70s Rudolf Meinl CC tubas with (only) four valves. A 3/4 and a 5/4. (Sold them, though.)
Last edited by tuba on Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
DFW freelancer