External microphone for Iphone

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
dsfinley

External microphone for Iphone

Post by dsfinley »

Does anyone have suggestions for external microphones for IPhone that will record tuba well? Looking to stay around or under $100. I’m looking at the Zoom iQ6 as I’ve had great results with Zoom recorders in the past.

Mary Ann

Re: External microphone for Iphone

Post by Mary Ann »

I have about a 15 year old Zoom H4 and it has recorded tuba (in a quintet) better than anything else even close to its price range. I know nothing about iPhones.
the elephant

Post by the elephant »

Last edited by the elephant on Wed Jan 04, 2023 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tokuno

Post by tokuno »

Mary Ann wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 11:08 am I have about a 15 year old Zoom H4 and it has recorded tuba (in a quintet) better than anything else even close to its price range. I know nothing about iPhones.
Mine's an H2, and it works well, too. When I need a video synch, I post-process and swap in the Zoom recording.
dsfinley

Post by dsfinley »

the elephant wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 11:15 am If by "for iPhone" you mean one that natively connects to a modern, headphone jack-free iPhone via the Lightning connector, the choice is very limited for tuba-range recording.

I use this. It is not perfect, but it beats the heck out of the built-in iPhone mic and it only costs about $80. There is an app that I don't care for that much and have only tried to use a few times, but you don't need it as the mic is plug-and-play.

RØDE is an Australian brand, made locally, and they make good stuff.

https://rode.com/en-us/microphones/mobile/videomic-me-l

This was taped four years ago, but it is still accurate.

Thank you so much for the suggestion!
the elephant

Post by the elephant »

Last edited by the elephant on Wed Jan 04, 2023 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GC

Post by GC »

Looking around, there are Bluetooth mikes out there by the dozens, but I have no idea of their sound quality. There are also plug-to-Bluetooth adapters for use with all sorts of normally corded mikes. Again, no experience with the quality.
Packer/Sterling JP377 compensating Eb; Mercer & Barker MBUZ5 (Tim Buzbee "Lone ☆ Star" F-tuba mouthpiece), Mercer & Barker MB3; for sale: Conn Monster Eb 1914, Fillmore Bros 1/4 Eb ca. 1905 antique (still plays), Bach 42B trombone
LibraryMark

Post by LibraryMark »

I've got a Shure MV88. It's really good for recording groups in stereo and of all the mics I own, it's the quietest. And it comes with some nice free audio and video apps. Bought it for $80 on ebay and have been very happy with it. The only downside is I have to remove the phone case to make it fit.
Last edited by LibraryMark on Thu Dec 29, 2022 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author LibraryMark for the post:
the elephant (Tue Dec 27, 2022 6:23 pm)
the elephant

Post by the elephant »

Last edited by the elephant on Wed Jan 04, 2023 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author the elephant for the post:
LibraryMark (Wed Dec 28, 2022 3:59 pm)
MikeMason

Post by MikeMason »

I find the audio when using the video recording on my iPhone to be superior to the voice memo, for whatever reason, I assume some sort of algorithm?. Not great but ok enough to check what I sound like when practicing.
These users thanked the author MikeMason for the post:
Doc (Fri Dec 30, 2022 1:27 am)
Yamaha 621 w/16’’ bell w/Laskey 32h
Miraphone 190 b flat with 20’’ bell.
F Schmidt (b&s) euphonium/searching for mouthpiece
Pensacola symphony principal tuba
jtm

Post by jtm »

Since nobody has mentioned it yet, for iPhone specifically, the Shure MV88 works well, and it's near your price. Here's one on sale: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... ereo.html/

There's an app to adjust the stereo imaging and equalization. You can record from the app, but once the mic handling is set up, you can also record from normal iPhone apps, like video. I got a lightning extension cord (plug on one end, socket on the other), so that the mic wouldn't need to be attached to the phone for everything (though it's handy to plug it right into the phone for video).
These users thanked the author jtm for the post:
LibraryMark (Thu Dec 29, 2022 7:59 am)
John Morris
This practicing trick actually seems to be working!
playing some old German rotary tubas for free
LibraryMark

Post by LibraryMark »

jtm wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 9:15 pm Since nobody has mentioned it yet, for iPhone specifically, the Shure MV88 works well, and it's near your price. Here's one on sale: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... ereo.html/

There's an app to adjust the stereo imaging and equalization. You can record from the app, but once the mic handling is set up, you can also record from normal iPhone apps, like video. I got a lightning extension cord (plug on one end, socket on the other), so that the mic wouldn't need to be attached to the phone for everything (though it's handy to plug it right into the phone for video).
I mentioned it a few posts ago. Great mic. Bought mine used on eBay for $80.
Three Valves

Post by Three Valves »

the elephant wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 11:15 am

I use this. It is not perfect, but it beats the heck out of the built-in iPhone mic and it only costs about $80. There is an app that I don't care for that much and have only tried to use a few times, but you don't need it as the mic is plug-and-play.

RØDE is an Australian brand, made locally, and they make good stuff.

Even the cheap Chinese knockoff of that mic is good. :thumbsup:
These users thanked the author Three Valves for the post:
the elephant (Thu Dec 29, 2022 9:10 am)
Thought Criminal
Mack Brass Artiste
TU422L with TU25
1964 Conn 36k with CB Arnold Jacobs
Accent (By B&S) 952R with Bach12
The Fourth Estate is the Fifth Column
jtm

Post by jtm »

LibraryMark wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 7:59 am ...
I mentioned it a few posts ago. Great mic. Bought mine used on eBay for $80.
Oops. Sorry about that!
These users thanked the author jtm for the post:
LibraryMark (Thu Dec 29, 2022 6:45 pm)
John Morris
This practicing trick actually seems to be working!
playing some old German rotary tubas for free
the elephant

Post by the elephant »

Okay, so I posted all the above about the RØDE mic having only used it about a dozen times. For some reason, when I used it tonight the quality is crappy now. It was not this way before, so perhaps I dropped it? It is not a good quality to work well and then mysteriously stop working.

I no longer recommend this mic as mine currently (and unexplainedly) sucks for tuba. Go with the SHURE on Amazon. I am sorry if anyone bought one based on my review. It was great for about four months and a dozen uses. Then tonight it produced garbage for me. Distortion, rattles, buzzes, overfeeding, etc. Garbage. I am very disappointed with this product.