[SOLD] 1972 Olds S24G Bass Trombone

Read forum rules before posting.
Forum rules
This is for buying or selling your personal equipment, but sponsored selling is allowed as well. We are requiring all ads to have the following information. Price, (even for trades) Brand, Model, and location (for instruments, not accessories) need to be included in the ad, or at least be very clear in link provided. It is acceptable to link to an external ad if you are promoting a sale of your personal equipment. No Ebay Auctions, but Buy it now listings are fine. Photos are HIGHLY suggested as well. If you see an ad that does not meet these criteria, please report it.
Finetales

[SOLD] 1972 Olds S24G Bass Trombone

Post by Finetales »

For sale is a janky but fabulous 1972 Olds S24G independent bass trombone, S/N #832xxx.

More pictures here.

This trombone has lived an interesting life. The previous owner modified the F wrap to go straight out like the G wrap does, removing the ability to choose between F/Gb and F/G by swapping the slides. Now you can choose from F/Gb or E/G! Very useful. I have no idea why he did that, but if you're looking for a bass trombone that looks like a Great Value Schagerl Aurora, you're in luck.

It was shipped to me in literally just the case, no packing material or box to speak of. Needless to say the bell got crunched badly, but I had John Sandhagen roll it out and now it looks great. I also had John work on the trigger paddles to put them in a much more comfortable position for my average-sized hands than stock. It's not going to compete with a custom Shires for comfort, but it's certainly usable. The slide and valves work great and needed no additional attention from John.

As you can see, this is not the prettiest S24G. However, the important thing is how it plays and let me tell you...I was not prepared to love this horn as much as I do. It's one of the only bass trombones I've ever tried that I felt came close to how much I love my modified independent 72H. It plays SO easily throughout the horn, and has a fabulous sound. You do notice the small rotors a bit on low C and B, but it's perfectly manageable and can easily be dialed in with practice. The high register is the best out of any bass trombone I've ever played...it might have a better high D than my 88H! This is a fantastic commercial bass trombone and would be great for a doubler.

Truthfully, I would really love to keep this horn. But I love my indy 72H just a little bit more and it does all of the same things, and I can't justify keeping them both. If I had unlimited funds I would keep the S24G, put modern rotors and linkage on, and never sell it. I will be sad to see it go, but it needs to be in the hands of someone who's going to put it to work.

I'm looking for $2,000. I would prefer to sell locally in the Los Angeles area, but I'll gladly ship it (properly!) in the CONUS if you cover all the costs.

SOLD!

I mostly play the slidey thing.