Mnozil Brass

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
cjk

Re: Mnozil Brass

Post by cjk »

bort2.0 wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 8:43 am That tuba player is Albert Weider... Who filled in for Willi a little while ago a few years ago.

He and Gansch did that "Tears for Pachelbel" video on YT a while ago, and he also has a video of Molto Perpetuo...

Will post links later, can't do it on my phone for some reason.

He's a monster player.
Albert Weider, tremendous player.
Interesting (at least to me) is that he plays "modern" F tubas with the Vienna 6 valve system. Older videos have him playing a Rudolf Meinl F, newer ones a Miraphone Elecktra. He also plays an old B&F BBb tuba on some stuff.
Both of the F tubas are very interesting. The RM has two different right thumb triggers for moving valve slides. The Miraphone looks like a clinic for building valve linkage.

Watch him circular breathe like a boss:

More fine playing and lots of up close views of the Miraphone. Check out which valve spatula actuates which valve.

Wieder, Gansch & Paul live streamed/recorded in an apartment during the pandemic. Evidently it was "wear your red pants" day.

djwpe

Post by djwpe »

I've seen Mnozil 4 times (Lehigh Pennsylvania, Birmingham, AL, Troy, NY and NYC) in 3 different shows. They were awesome every time. I also got to hang with them after 3 of the shows. Albert played one of the tours (on his giant BBb). I think him playing that show, standing up doing the same schtick and high level of musicianship as Willi, but playing that giant BBb was more impressive than Willi.

After the show in NYC, Albert came to the hang, because he was in NYC with Vienna Phil, and came to the bar.

I will travel long distances to see them live. Worth every penny, and worth every hour of travel.

Don
These users thanked the author djwpe for the post:
cjk (Fri Mar 03, 2023 10:08 pm)
RenoDoc

Post by RenoDoc »

How was it? We didn't make it- we were going to drive over from Reno and they didn't open I80 in time for us to go.
Kirley wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 12:15 am
RenoDoc wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 11:11 am Thanks for this- I just saw they are playing in Palo Alto tomorrow night. If my wife can get off work, I'd love to try and get there
I'll be there. Bringing my wife and 8 year old daughter. Very excited!
Andy Pasternak
Hirsbrunner HB7
Conn Naked Lady 14K
1918 York and Sons 33
Kirley

Post by Kirley »

RenoDoc wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 4:58 pm How was it? We didn't make it- we were going to drive over from Reno and they didn't open I80 in time for us to go.
Absolutely incredible. Intonation, tone, articulation, overall musicianship... all off the charts good.

It's a rare mix that you get such incredible musicians who can actually entertain people! They had my daughter in stitches multiple times.

I will definitely go out of my way to see them the next time they come through.

Poor Wilfried. The airlines did a real number on his horn. He literally had it held together with packing tape. Of course, he still sounded amazing. Afterward, he mentioned that he could feel the air leaking out near his hand while he was playing. But the show must go on!
These users thanked the author Kirley for the post:
RenoDoc (Sun Mar 05, 2023 8:11 pm)
UncleBeer

Post by UncleBeer »

Kirley wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 12:30 pm Poor Wilfried. The airlines did a real number on his horn. He literally had it held together with packing tape. Of course, he still sounded amazing. Afterward, he mentioned that he could feel the air leaking out near his hand while he was playing. But the show must go on!
Happened before/after the show in Denton TX. I offered my repair services, but he seemed intent on the packing tape. :facepalm2:

tuba (1).jpg
tuba (1).jpg (190.18 KiB) Viewed 862 times
These users thanked the author UncleBeer for the post (total 6):
LargeTuba (Sun Mar 05, 2023 4:32 pm) • cjk (Sun Mar 05, 2023 7:09 pm) • RenoDoc (Sun Mar 05, 2023 8:12 pm) • Kirley (Mon Mar 06, 2023 1:35 am) • Estubist (Mon Mar 06, 2023 7:29 am) and one more user
humBell

Post by humBell »

Packing tape? or just plastic wrap?
"All art is one." -Hal
humBell

Post by humBell »

Apparently they are back in the US late February early March,
and generally speaking, in my neck of the woods...

Squee!
"All art is one." -Hal
aarongsmith

Post by aarongsmith »

Rick Denney wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 7:20 am Then you guys linked videos on a day when I'm bored at work (which, truth to tell, does not happen very often).

My mistake. And the price I have paid for that mistake is that I've probably missed many opportunities to see them in person.
They'll be in Frederick, MD at the Weinberg in February if that helps.
Rudolf Meinl 5/4CC
Willson 3400FA-5 Eb
Besson New Standard Euph
S.E. Shires Bass w/ Greenhoe Valves
Paulver

Post by Paulver »

They're also going to be near Pittsburgh, PA in Feb. Already have my tickets. Can't wait. Been wanting to see them for years now.
C J

Post by C J »

bort2.0 wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 8:43 am That tuba player is Albert Weider... Who filled in for Willi a little while ago a few years ago.

He and Gansch did that "Tears for Pachelbel" video on YT a while ago, and he also has a video of Molto Perpetuo...

Will post links later, can't do it on my phone for some reason.

He's a monster player.
Herr Wieder plays also in da Blechhauf'n (besides being a substitute for Herr Brandstötter in Mnozil)

My tubas equal 3288
Rick Denney
Resident Genius

Post by Rick Denney »

aarongsmith wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 4:55 pm
Rick Denney wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 7:20 am Then you guys linked videos on a day when I'm bored at work (which, truth to tell, does not happen very often).

My mistake. And the price I have paid for that mistake is that I've probably missed many opportunities to see them in person.
And in Fairfax, VA at George Mason on the 25th.

Rick "checking schedules" Denney
humBell

Post by humBell »

Rick Denney wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 1:06 pm
aarongsmith wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 4:55 pm

And in Fairfax, VA at George Mason on the 25th.

Rick "checking schedules" Denney
Hope you can make it!

(can't hear (or read) Fairfax without thinking of the Colonel in Yeomen of the Guard... a man of science and an alchemist)
"All art is one." -Hal