Piggy mouthpiece choice

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
royjohn
Has thanked: 0

Piggy mouthpiece choice

Post by royjohn »

I'm enjoying my new-to-me Cerveny Piggy, which is prolly a '90's model. I've tried various mouthpieces in it without deciding any one is much better than the others...I've heard people call these tubas mouthpiece sensitive and I wonder what other people like to play in them.
royjohn
old guy, tuba newbie :tuba:

LeMark
Site Admin

Re: Piggy mouthpiece choice

Post by LeMark »

I used both a bach 7 and a sellmansberger symphony with mine
Yep, I'm Mark
arpthark

Post by arpthark »

Glad you found a Pig!
Blake
TheDoctor

Post by TheDoctor »

I've owned 2, the last being pre-kranz or something (I'm not very good with piggy vintages); I remember that pig being mp responsive, and my favorite to use on it was a stofer geib in ensembles for velvety organ pipe-like low tuba noises
Last edited by TheDoctor on Sun Mar 26, 2023 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wibbly wobbly, tubaly woobaly . . . stuff
bort2.0

Post by bort2.0 »

arpthark wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 9:47 pm Glad you found a Pig!
Yeah!

How? Where? Seems like they're hard to find these days!
MikeS

Post by MikeS »

A band mate of mine a while back sounded great using a Schilke Helleberg on his Piggy. I borrowed it a couple times and thought my Doug Elliott R cup worked well also.
kingrob76

Post by kingrob76 »

I also used an Elliott R or P cup on mine and thought it worked great.
Rob. Just Rob.
the elephant

Post by the elephant »

Hey, Roy!

I used an old Doug Elliott I bought in 1994. It was his setup that was similar to a Conn Helleberg 120, but a tad larger in a few dimensions. I still play it, too.

• R cup
• 4N 132 rim
• R5E shank

He no longer makes shanks with so many backbore/throat options, and I suspect the R5E was one of the ones that disappeared when the line was consolidated. That shank today would probably end up being an RCE or some such.
royjohn
Has thanked: 0

Post by royjohn »

arpthark wrote: ↑Sat Mar 25, 2023 9:47 pm
Glad you found a Pig!

bort wrote
Yeah!

How? Where? Seems like they're hard to find these days!

Couldn't find a Piggy in the East and was about to head out to see Chaz Warren's Piggy that he played for years at Disneyland, but a friend pointed out that there was one at Tuba Exchange...seems you don't see all the used items unless you go to the "Used" menu, which I had missed. The TE Piggy was more expensive than Chaz's, but the trip to California was going to take three days and a lot of airport-sitting, two motel nites and a rental car, so I eventually tried the TE horn and came home with it. The total outlay, considering the travel expenses I would have had to California, was about the same. Maxwell (the Piggy) takes a lot more air than Chairman Mao (the 410) and there are a few intonation challenges, most of which can be managed with alternate fingerings and lipping. The horn is lighter and more manageable for this 75 year old, I don't mind the bell being close to my head and I feel the colorful sound is wonderful. So I'm a pretty happy camper for now. It remains to be seen whether I'll catch bort's disease and have to have a different horn every year...or not.

I've tried everything from a Yamaha 65 to a Bobo Symphonique to a Wick 1L in it and for now I am using mostly the Jim Self Yamaha. I don't have any of the mpcs that people have suggested...yet...LOL.
royjohn
tuba newbie :smilie7: :cheers:
These users thanked the author royjohn for the post:
the elephant (Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:43 am)